Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Timing Idler Pulley question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/timing-idler-pulley-question-34721/)

jzm.oside 09-26-2009 10:18 PM

Timing Idler Pulley question

I'm doing a timing belt replacement procedure and I purchased a OEM Timing belt kit from IPDUSA.COM
ipd Part#:TIMKIT010

for my 2001 S80 2.9L (non-turbo). Has anyone bought the kit and saw differences in the Z axis dimension ( front to the back dimension) of the Idler Pulley. My old part is about 1/8" shorter with a 12MM mounting bolt and a 1/8" flat washer on the back side which has been stamped/flared to prevent it from falling .
I called IPD and asked advice on what I'm seeing. They verified I have the correct kit for the car. They said to use the existing hardware so I did a little grinding on the "flared areas" so the washer and bolt could be removed from the old part. Using the old (bolt & washer) hardware on the new part and installing it causes an offset of the roller surface where the belt rides on the inner edge of the roller and about 1/8" to spare on the other edge. With the OLD part, the belt rides centered on the roller with about 1/16" to spare on each side. So I thought just remove the washer and it should be centered on the roller. After looking at the mounting area, the washer is needed as a spacer due the physical surface (engine block) to where the Idler pulley hub mounts is behind a small through-hole in the back of the plastic cam enclosure cover. In other words if I were NOT to use the washer the Idler pulley hub would NOT sit flush on the engine block and would have the plastic sandwiched between the hub and the engine block. I quess I could take a grinder and enlarge the through-hole.
Any ideas??? this didn't seem right and I didn't want to start modifying things.

tech 09-26-2009 10:27 PM

I have been just leaving the washer on for years with the different pulley and never had any problems.

537playing 09-27-2009 08:47 AM

I bought my kit from IPD and did not have your issues. The replacement parts were identical.

jzm.oside 09-28-2009 11:58 AM

Thanks for the responses.....
I just talked to the resident volvo tech at IPD and he did some research that confirms the dimension is larger than the original part. He also talked to the manufacturers rep and it was an enhancement???? They inidicated the belt tends to move to the front edge of the roller surface under different loads and it is OK for the belt to initially ride on the inner edge of the roller surface. Bottomline- Use the bolt and washer on the new part.
With all this said I made the decision before I had everyones input to use the old part...it was still good and I didn't feel comfortable using the different new part. Obviously now I should have used the new one.
Anyways the timing belt, tensioner and serpentine belt are all in and the car is now running fine.

tech 09-28-2009 06:59 PM

Thanks for the update.