Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Tire Sizing Help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/tire-sizing-help-38239/)

nicolaselias 01-19-2010 09:49 AM

Tire Sizing Help

Hi everyone, been a while since I started a thread.. Anyway, I have a 2002 S80 2.9 but with the optional 225/50/17 rims/tires (ie. these) I believe it to be 17 x 7
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

I most certainly have to change my tyres as they are practically slicks right now...
However, the main holdback is that I can't decide what to do about sizing.. Sticking to the stock sizing is certainly the main option, but I was wondering what would be the possibility of getting wider tyres..

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of doing this? I assume more absolute traction, particularly under braking from the wider rubber.. but please let me know what you all think

Secondly, what would be the maximum width that this rim should accept? Im not sure if it is possible, but 245/45/17's cost about the same as my 225/50/17's and have a very small Speedometer Difference:
ie. 0.658% too fast
The load ratings are about the same as well, so that would not be an issue...

Final thing to ask is, would this cause even more of the famous S80 "rubbing" problems when turning at full lock?

Just to let you know, Probably going with Continental ExtremeContact DWS.. Tirerack and its users rate it extremely highly and the pricing is excellent..

Thanks for the help!

nicolaselias 01-20-2010 12:02 AM

Just another question to add on, People say that changing wheel/tire size affects your spedometer... Is it possible that volvo didnt factor this in when upsizing the car to the 17" rims? The reason I ask is that my speedo always reads about 2 mph above my GPS speed reading, something I always attributed to the possibility of the gps being inaccurate..

nicolaselias 01-23-2010 12:17 AM

Bump Bump Bump? Anyone care to chime in on this so that I can make a final decision and order?

kevmcrae 01-23-2010 11:16 AM

A reputable tire shop should be able to help you determine what the maximum size is for your car. What you want to avoid is a wheel and tire combination that has a different total diameter than stock. My 2000 came stock with 16 inch and I still use those for my winter tires. For summer I have 17 inch aftermarket wheels and have no scrubbing. They are slightly wider, however the same diameter. The wider the tire the more lateral traction you'll have for hard cornering. But that is the only advantage other than looks. Be ready to accept a lower mpg too! I loose 2 miles per gallon as soon as I put my summer tires on.

vikingpwr 01-23-2010 03:59 PM

Just bought Michelin AS/Sport for my 2003, S80,2.9 n/t,57000 on it.Good grip but the mpg went down than the OEM,used to see up to 27mpg,now hard to pass 23mpg.But they look good..:)

Have a good one!!!

JohnsonSmith 04-10-2013 04:26 AM

Anyone care to chime in on this so that I can make a final decision and order?

cneff91 04-18-2013 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JohnsonSmith (Post 349101)
Anyone care to chime in on this so that I can make a final decision and order?

I drive a 2000 volvo 280 2.9 with the 17x7 OEM wheels I recommend staying with 225/50/17 you get the best out of these, however 235 50 17 is an option i dont recommend going wider because they tend to rub the inside of the wheel well if you do go with the wider tire i also recommend replacing your stoppers located on the control arm to keep them from rubbing when turning as much as possible

I work at Discount Tire Co. just fyi

akabond 04-18-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by cneff91 (Post 350146)
I drive a 2000 volvo 280 2.9 with the 17x7 OEM wheels I recommend staying with 225/50/17 you get the best out of these, however 235 50 17 is an option i dont recommend going wider because they tend to rub the inside of the wheel well if you do go with the wider tire i also recommend replacing your stoppers located on the control arm to keep them from rubbing when turning as much as possible

I work at Discount Tire Co. just fyi

what you mean by .."i also recommend replacing your stoppers located on the control arm to keep them from rubbing when turning as much as possible"
Do you have picture of it? thanks

cneff91 04-18-2013 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by akabond (Post 350174)
what you mean by .."i also recommend replacing your stoppers located on the control arm to keep them from rubbing when turning as much as possible"
Do you have picture of it? thanks

I do not have a picture as it is dark out now however when you turn the wheel all the way in either direction it will hit a "stopper" to keep the wheel from turning further.

2000 VOLVO S80 Parts - turnervolvoparts.com

if you look at number 6 that is what i am talking about you can simply take the 2 screws off and pop them on your self. It helped mine from rubbing taking sharp turns and im only running 225 50 17's

also I put the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 on my S80 and love them awesome ride good handling