Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Trans slips after geting off Fwy (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/trans-slips-after-geting-off-fwy-39825/)

S802001 03-13-2010 12:46 PM

Trans slips after geting off Fwy

My trans will only slip from 1st to 2nd but only when I get off the fwy and after that it works normal.

I'm planning on changing trans fluid and filter, is there any thing else I should do when I have the pan off?

S802001 03-13-2010 08:47 PM

Does changing the filter and fluid sound like a good plan for now? I have no trans codes. Has any one had this type of problem?

tech 03-13-2010 08:57 PM

That might help!

S802001 03-13-2010 11:19 PM

Changing the filter on monday, going to use this info http://volvospeed.com/Repair/s80_transmission.html

I'm assuming that is the same trans as in my 2001. Can some one help me with torque spec's for the trans pan and filter?

S802001 03-14-2010 01:47 PM

I'm assuming the trans slippage after fwy driving is due to high trans temp. What are your thoughts on that?

Has any one experimented with adding an extra trans cooler to there volvo?

tech 03-16-2010 09:33 PM

Have not tried an extra cooler as of yet. Sorry do not have the torque specs right at the moment.

NoLifeTilBoost 03-17-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by s802001
I'm assuming the trans slippage after fwy driving is due to high trans temp. What are your thoughts on that?

Has any one experimented with adding an extra trans cooler to there volvo?

Doubtful to be honest, unless you are towing or something the trans temp will actually be quite low when you get off the freeway. Its not doing a lot of work and has a lot of airflow. City driving with a lot start stops is another matter however.

I know you said you are doing the filter etc, but you never mentioned what the level is currently at and what the condition the fluid is in.

imhereftw 03-17-2010 10:10 AM

When it's slipping are you giving it full throttle?

BTW I just changed my transmission fluid to synthetic and it made a pretty big difference.

S802001 03-17-2010 03:02 PM

Its been a painful car to repair. I changed the trans fluid and filter, sliped in my garage and landed on the corner of my tool box and broke a rib.

Anyways, the torque spec's on the trans pan bolts are 10nm.

When I got the vehicle the trans was about a qt low on fluid at norm opp temp. Fluid was alittle darker then honey.

The trans has improved but it still isnt fixed, it takes more miles on the fwy before it starts to slip again. Once i get off the fwy after the first stop light the trans goes back to normal.

Trans will slip at any throttle%.

I'm going to put a small trans cooler on the vehicle in hopes to prolong the death of this trans, unless any one else has other idea's that dont involve me droping the trans.

Thanks.

N_Vagrant 03-18-2010 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by S802001 (Post 210365)
Its been a painful car to repair. I changed the trans fluid and filter, sliped in my garage and landed on the corner of my tool box and broke a rib.

Anyways, the torque spec's on the trans pan bolts are 10nm.

When I got the vehicle the trans was about a qt low on fluid at norm opp temp. Fluid was alittle darker then honey.

The trans has improved but it still isnt fixed, it takes more miles on the fwy before it starts to slip again. Once i get off the fwy after the first stop light the trans goes back to normal.

Trans will slip at any throttle%.

I'm going to put a small trans cooler on the vehicle in hopes to prolong the death of this trans, unless any one else has other idea's that dont involve me droping the trans.

Thanks.

if you wanna try dropping it into third or two when you're hitting idle rpm as you're coming off the highway, then try gassing it what does it do?

S802001 03-26-2010 09:27 PM

Every time I get off the fwy to try that, there is a car in front of me, this car picks up pretty fast and I don't want to end up having a post asking about repairing a front end.

I'll let you know what happens when I try this out.