Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Transmission is finally dying.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is finally dying.

Well I guess you guys have been waiting for me to post this. After 6 months of no transmission error codes . It finally happened today. 3rd gear is hardly working. Time for me to find a used transmission .
​​​​​​

Old 12-29-2017, 06:31 PM

I would get that code clear it and it would work fine again.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thommykent
I would get that code clear it and it would work fine again.
I did , but it came back a couple times, cleared again. Had transmission codes back in August (cleared them ) and was fine till today. So should I replace the the transmission or try replacing the solenoid? Thank you again.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 PM

It just happens more and more, until finally no go. Surprisingly it`s not the solenoid but burnt clutch packs make that code appear, apparently they cause the solenoid to not operate correctly, at least it did in mine. Your transmission is done. I had mine rebuilt and the solenoids were all fine. You really want to rebuild your unit as finding one that matches perfectly to your ECU is difficult at best. Besides you really have no idea what you are getting. Shop around, I had quotes from 2K to 4.5k for a rebuild. I went with an independent shop for 2k and a 2 year warranty. Works perfectly. I use the same scan tool BTW. It`s a great piece!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Banned

It just happens more and more, until finally no go. Surprisingly it`s not the solenoid but burnt clutch packs make that code appear, apparently they cause the solenoid to not operate correctly, at least it did in mine. Your transmission is done. I had mine rebuilt and the solenoids were all fine. You really want to rebuild your unit as finding one that matches perfectly to your ECU is difficult at best. Besides you really have no idea what you are getting. Shop around, I had quotes from 2K to 4.5k for a rebuild. I went with an independent shop for 2k and a 2 year warranty. Works perfectly. I use the same scan tool BTW. It`s a great piece!
This tool has been great, probably the best $100 that I spent. I figured the clutch pack was going bad just from the research I did. Looking like I have to start saving my money.
Thank you again for your help.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:37 PM

If you ever end up with no go at a light, switch to winter mode starting out in second will get you home

Old 12-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

If you ever end up with no go at a light, switch to winter mode starting out in second will get you home
Okay thank you, I will remember that if that happens. Hopefully I can get it fixed before that happens (first gear is pretty strong 90 percent of the time) I also put what is called lube gaurd. Figured it really can't make anything worse.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 PM

At this point nothing can help or hurt. My first was strong until it wasn`t. lol

Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Banned

At this point nothing can help or hurt. My first was strong until it wasn`t. lol
Okay , that's what I thought .it only cost me $12 , so I figured what the heck.
Well like I said before , time for me to start saving my money for a rebuild. Hopefully it holds up for another 6 months. Gives me enough time to save and shop around for a respectable repair shop. Times like this I wish I had my own garage.
The car is very solid for what I paid for it , and at that price I was expecting it would take some work and money to get the car working right. I'm just going with the flow with the car. If I came across another Volvo like mine at the price I paid, in my area (western PA) I'd buy it if I knew if I fix it or use it. Anyways thank you for your help.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Mine was free, drove it for a year before the transmission took a dump. Everything else on the car was great so 2k for the transmission made sense. Shifting the transmission manually will help out when it starts acting worse as it will. In manual mode when you come to a stop it will go down to first on it`s own, BTW

Old 12-30-2017, 06:06 PM
Banned

Mine was free, drove it for a year before the transmission took a dump. Everything else on the car was great so 2k for the transmission made sense. Shifting the transmission manually will help out when it starts acting worse as it will. In manual mode when you come to a stop it will go down to first on it`s own, BTW
Okay cool I'll remember that when things get worse. Car drove good today with minimal slipping. Hopefully it can hang in there until I get the funds together. I use the manual shifting every once in awhile but wasn't sure that it downshifts as I always downshifted it.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by e.mence440
Okay cool I'll remember that when things get worse. Car drove good today with minimal slipping. Hopefully it can hang in there until I get the funds together. I use the manual shifting every once in awhile but wasn't sure that it downshifts as I always downshifted it.
I found a rebuilt transmission for $200 with the torque converter should I go ahead with the purchase ?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:34 PM

Why would anyone sell a rebuilt Transmission for $200 when rebuilding one costs anywhere from 2K to 3.5K. But for $200 bucks who cares, you can open up a huge can of worms if it`s not an exact match to your ECU, finding that out is another can of worms.That is why most rebuilders want to rebuild the one in the car. If you have the time ( considerable ) and patience go for it.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Banned

Why would anyone sell a rebuilt Transmission for $200 when rebuilding one costs anywhere from 2K to 3.5K. But for $200 bucks who cares, you can open up a huge can of worms if it`s not an exact match to your ECU, finding that out is another can of worms.That is why most rebuilders want to rebuild the one in the car. If you have the time ( considerable ) and patience go for it.
Well that one Volvo S80 T6 (2000) on Craigslist. I finally got in touch with the owners of the car , and long story short they mentioned that they also had bought the rebuilt transmission when they bought the car. Hopefully it will match the ECU. But at $200 I figured why not. I'm going to have the local trusted transmission shop install it for me . So hopefully everything will work out. Thank you again for your help.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Banned
Default Transmission swap costs.

Well I went to look at that transmission ( and the Volvo) found out that the transmission isn't a rebuilt one, it is used and supposed to only have 70,000 miles on it. I put a little bit of money down on it to hold it. I'm not sure what the mechanic will want to do the install, anyone else do a transmission swap or pay for one? As for the Volvo I was interested in . I'm not sure if I want to get involved with it . If it's still available when I get the extra money maybe.
as always thank you for your help.

2000 Volvo S80 T6 executive edition.

Last edited by e.mence440; 01-20-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 PM
Banned
Default Finally found the problem...

Hello

I finally found the cause of my transmission problems .....
After 7 months of trying to figure out if my car needs a new transmission. It's hard to explain all
Of the the symptoms accurately . But to basically
sum it up , it felt like it was losing hydraulic pressure.
​​​​ After doing some research on this transmission,
and talking to a transmission expert . Turns out
that it's the pressure control solenoid . It regulates the pressure for the entire system . If ignored it can cause complete clutch pack failure. It will be getting replaced with in the next couple of weeks. I've taken
measures to keep it from over heating. I was quoted 5 hours at $70 an hour , I figure it's worth it. Better than spending $2,000 for a complete rebuild .
I'll let you know when it's done.

Last edited by e.mence440; 02-16-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If you like the rest of the car, though, I might still do a full rebuild when necessary. I know sometimes the rest of the car can also have nagging problems. The earlier models more so.

I take chances on repairs all the time, but I do them myself and I figure my labor is worth zero. If you pay somebody to fix the car, you would tend more toward making it a "sure thing" as much as you can.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 AM

Give it a try, let us know the results.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

I definitely will.
it'll probably be a good month or two before I get to
it. Seemed to be shifting good today with minimal slipping. Maybe all the fluid and filter changes is actually doing something along with the lubegard.
But like I said I'll keep you guys updated.
Thank you again

Old 02-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Banned

I forgot to mention before I replace the solenoid I'm going to replace the throttle position sensor with the updated one since it needs to be replaced anyway. Will keep everyone updated.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Transmission is finally dying.