Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   transmission fluid info (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/transmission-fluid-info-1878/)

bigslimm 06-27-2005 12:46 AM

transmission fluid info

2004 S80. Why is there no owners manual info on how to check the transmission fluid; or am I missing something? Different cars have different procedures. Check when hot or cold? Transmission in neutral or park? Simple stuff like that.

What is the trans fluid check procedure?

tech 06-27-2005 02:48 AM

RE: transmission fluid info

Check it hot and with the car in park.

bigslimm 06-28-2005 01:30 AM

Thanks.

eli 06-29-2005 04:14 AM

Does the engine have to be running to check it?

tech 06-29-2005 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: eli

Does the engine have to be running to check it?
Yes it has to be running to check it properly.

bigslimm 07-24-2005 01:59 AM

Also, I do not see any trans fluid change info. except for trailer towing at 50K. Is there no normal trans maintenance required? Like, is it perpetual or something. That would be cool, but I doubt it. Do you recommend any normal trans maintenance?

tech 07-24-2005 03:21 AM

It is supposed to be at like 100,000 miles.

reg 07-24-2005 12:38 PM

Trans oil is inexpensive. I change fluid in all my autos...........both automatic and manual transmissions...........every two years. In my case, that is LESS than 25,000 miles as I am splitting a year's mileage between several automobiles. Brake fluid is also changed, although I do that once a year. I use a MyTvac and "pull" the fluid through. Lastly, I use ATE Super blue Dot 4 brake fluid. If you change the brake fluid often you will never have a brake caliper rebuild...............all the sludge and debris is flushed and along with that you have removed the condensation which gives you the 'soft' pedal as the water begins to boil.

bigslimm 07-24-2005 04:38 PM

Yeah, I tend to do that also. Re: trans, I have had a couple vehicles that stated 100k change, with more frequent on trailering. But I always follow the heavy duty schedule. 100K just seems a looong way. Just that it is strange there is no trans maintenance info at all!

reg 07-24-2005 06:03 PM

The cost of a rebuilt trans plus the installation far outweigh the minimal cost of the fluid flush. Volvo truly gives minimal information about the maintenance of their vehicles................I think they like to sell parts right after the warranty has expired! On a 70 series, you can't even see the trans dip stick unless you shove the hoses over............. Maybe now that Ford Motor Co. has the controlling interest in Volvo, we might see a better product and a better manual??????

tech 07-24-2005 10:40 PM

I hope so as well.

Just because I said that they say 100,000 miles doesn't mean you have to wait till then.

You can change it when ever you want.

reg 07-24-2005 11:11 PM

You bet Tech. Your input is invaluable. You are a formally trained Volvo mechanic...................for a lot of us, we opine on what we have experienced over the years. I draw much of my opinions from 47 years of driving and having participated in many driver's schools and SCCA racing. It is now interesting to find that BMW, now that they no longer have a "free" service policy, have gone to "life time fill" in their transmissions and rear ends. Prior to their latest policy fluid changes were one year on brakes, and two years on coolant, trans fluid, and axle. The Roundel and Bimmer still insist on the earlier program and for good reason. By the way, now that you are an independent, is there a web site you can direct us to that has a listing of independent shops in the various states?

tech 07-24-2005 11:27 PM

Not that I know of if I find one I will let everyone know.