Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Transmission oil (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/transmission-oil-50729/)

VOLVASTIC 02-23-2011 11:53 PM

Transmission oil

Hello everyone, I'm new in the forum! I have found this forum very useful this last week. I got a Volvo s80 1999 with 150 XXXXXX miles. The car is running wonderful,l engine is fully tune up and I can't find any mechanical issue. my problem is the next tonight I check the transmission oil while I was filling the tank and there wasn't any fluid on the oil dipstick! I checked twice no oil.. the transmission is running smooth and like the las 7 days.. "thats is the time I have have the car" also the car have two messages in the dash board one is transmission maintenance require and one referring the air bag inspection or something like that.. do you have any comment or suggestion about this issue?
thank you so much for the wanderfull forum and all the useful info that you guys have in here!

VOLVASTIC 02-24-2011 06:02 PM

nobody?? at least how to reset the 2 messages??:(

nicolaselias 02-24-2011 08:35 PM

I can't help you with the clearing the messages, but I would probably top up the fluid with your favourite brand of dexron trans fluid...

Let it mix up and then take a look at the colour...
If its dark, you will want to change the transmission fluid .. Search for it and there is a good writeup here.. Im pretty sure I posted it again just about 2 or 3 days ago..

gabyman97596 02-25-2011 08:27 AM

I would recommend not changing the trans Fluid or doing a flush since the trans is old and with that kinda of mileage, it can damage the transmission. Just fill it up. But that just a recommendation.

As to the messages you need to have the car scan by a professional scanner i think you can scan the transmission fault with an obd II scanner but as to the airbag issue i dont think so.

VOLVASTIC 02-25-2011 12:17 PM

Thank you for the reply nicolaselias and gabyman97596 I added a little bit of oil and the level is good now also look like th previous owner change the oil because the oil is very clean I guess I didn't see very well last time I checked :S I got the car 4 days ago and I not familiar with this model. gabyman97596 I used the ODB II from Advance autoparts; it didn't get any code.. I guess I have to find a better ODB scanner....

NoLifeTilBoost 02-25-2011 01:30 PM

You wont get the transmission codes with a typical OBD scanner. To pull them you need to go to someone with volvo specific equipment.

Personally I would drop the pan, change the filter and top it off with fresh Dexron VI. It will take around 13 quarts. FYI the "hot" mark on the dipstick is based on the fluid temp being 80C (176F). When at this temp, process is to go through all of the gears, but not the "geartronic" ones for about 30seconds each, put it in park then wait 2mins before checking the fluid level. Obviously you check the level with the engine running.

If I had a transmission service warning code and signs of low fluid I would want to inspect the pan for signs of issues, regardless of how clean the fluid looked. I may just be that an issue was resolved but they never cleared the codes.

VOLVASTIC 02-25-2011 02:30 PM

Yes NoLifeTilBoost the previous owner told me that he changed filter and oil on the trans. I suppose to stop today to get all the receipts.. if comes not be true I will do what you suggested. referring the codes (messages) I assumed that he changed the filter and oil but din't reset the Computer too..My first car was a volvo 240 1992 very good car, but very different form the s80.. I'm not familiar with the s80, Im not sure how the car should behave or feel, my 240 was a hell of responsive car, the s80 is more like laggish... not sure if that is normal...