Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Transmission Replacement (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/transmission-replacement-4092/)

jtesta 01-11-2006 10:01 PM

Transmission Replacement

I have a 2000 S80 2.9 with 55,000 miles. After three dealer visits in the past two weeks for the 'Transmission Service Urgent' message, the dealer has informed that I need to replace the transmission at a cost of nearly $4,000. This is after already giving them $1,500 to replace the Valve Body. At least they are willing to credit me that cost against the cost of the new transmission.

Have others had to replace their trasmissions at such low mileage? Has anyone been able to get the dealer to use a rebuilt transmission rather than a new one to reduce the cost? Can I get some relief from Volvo Customer Service?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is after recently spending over $1,500 to replace the ABS Controller, front engine mount and one of the front stabilizer joints.

Thanks!

tech 01-11-2006 11:52 PM

RE: Transmission Replacement

They will only install new ones.

You might be Able to get a Trans shop to rebuid yours. It is only a GM trans so they should do it.

jtesta 01-12-2006 01:40 PM

Thanks. Any thoughts on Volvo's willingness to provide "good faith" warranty coverage?

reg 01-12-2006 09:05 PM

You 'gotta be kidding'.! Volvo's so called warranty is terrible................adjustments, rattles, squeaks, and the sort are not 'covered'. They have completely ignored the electronic throttle body issue until just recently and that is in doubt here in the states. Matthews volvo site has some great input on that issue. But Volvo is never going to provide any "good faith" service..............ever!
Reg

ORIGINAL: jtesta

Thanks. Any thoughts on Volvo's willingness to provide "good faith" warranty coverage?

Coastal 01-13-2006 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: jtesta

Any help will be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is after recently spending over $1,500 to replace the ABS Controller, front engine mount and one of the front stabilizer joints.

Thanks!
Do you have another dealer near you? Get a second opinion. Those internals will not have gone south that soon, unless you had an undiscovered leak or something else. Of course, only you know what your driving habits are...

tech 01-13-2006 09:46 PM

Good luck if you complained multiple times before it went out of Warranty then MAYBE they might do a 50/50 split with you. It depends on how they feel that day.

gordon368 01-26-2006 01:31 AM

i have to disagree on volvo coverage,

they did the 'good faith' work all the way till 55,000, thats 5k after the warranty ends. They covered atleast 3-4k in repairs after the warranty.
-oil pressure problem
-resealment of turbos
-mass flow air sensor
-replaced all my struts
-replaced some engine mounts
-replaced an 02 sensor
-did some other costly repairs

I paid 0$ for all this....they were really good to me, covered me well after the manufactures warrranty......all work done on good faith!!!
So maybe u can get them to do it> all this happened to me between 50-55k

jtesta 01-29-2006 04:42 PM

Thanks. I was not so lucky but at least they did not make me pay for the valve body twice and they did cover the cost of a rental car while they had my car (I figure that was worth about $500). I'll be getting rid of the car in about 8 weeks. I've got my fingers crossed that nothing else happens before then.