Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Transmission Update (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/transmission-update-82472/)

Sherry007 02-10-2015 12:27 PM

Transmission Update

Hi,

Since I flushed my transmission oil with AcDelco Type III, Slipping has gone, but two major issues found.

1. It took over 30 mins to get the car warm and then its 2nd gear works, otherwise it first gear works only...RPM goes crazy while trying to drive.

2. Randomly it is smooth while selecting first gear but some times when I put in D (While car is fully warm) it does gives little jerk.

Note:after clearing the code, it shifts the gear very smoothly but as soon I go in to traffic and try to be aggressive with my drive, Transmission Urgent Service message pops up but drives normally and no slipping.

Do I really need to another transmission or software update or upgrade might help.

Workshop guys are not willing to inspect the transmission because they say the cost is higher to inspect than putting the used one from junk yard.

Kindly advise.

pkrface 02-10-2015 07:51 PM

My (limited) experience tells me you have valve body issue. Fluid that has been in the trans too long "varnishes" internal parts causing them to stick when they need to be able to move freely. Interestingly, many times transmissions exhibit this type of issue immediately following a fluid change. The new fluid with fresh detergents designed to keep varnish from building up breaks loose the varnish that has built up over time and small chunks get caught in ultra-precision areas and cause shift solenoids and valves to stick. Of course that chunk of varnish that made the solenoid or valve stick one time can break free again thus allowing the valve to function properly the next time, so it can cause erratic operation where it will have trouble going into 1st one time and 3rd the next. You don't say what year, how many miles, or what you know about the service history of the car, so I can only speculate, but I truly believe the transmission is the most ignored major component on cars. People will be religious about changing oil, but never think about the trans fluid. If what I suspect is true the only real solution is to have that trans completely rebuilt or drop in an already rebuilt trans.

Sherry007 02-11-2015 07:39 AM

Thanks pk

its 130000 Miles on it. I did changed used transmission on 95000 Miles.

I agree with you, because when I dropped pan, therefore was not much gunk as i expected, fluid was almost clean...but while resetting the adaptive test (which you need to do while changing fluid), we did check the Solenoids S1,S2....on forth or 3rd it was trying to open then close...open/close...behaved like this..though workshop guy did set it to open...which made my drive good when I came out of the shop, but later again problem started...do note it only happens on cold start, after warming it up shifts works normally (only 3rd gear takes little more RPM but no slip or jerk). And very rarely when car is fully warm..when putting on D it gives little jerk.

Actually It happened due my own mistake when I try to change brake oil...it lost the pressure.and brake switch inside the cabin remains open..and my brake lights were on while drive....i felt hard drive but ignored later i see transmission issue.

So any idea??? Does VIDA can do on this?

pkrface 02-11-2015 06:57 PM

You don't say what year your car is, or if it is FWD or AWD. You will need this info to do more homework. I fixed a Mazda5 exhibiting similar issues by replacing the valve body. Found a seller on Ebay that was selling rebuilt valve bodies for $300,when local trans shops would only sell complete rebuild for $2500. Came fully tested with working solenoids, so it only took me 1.5 hours, filter/gasket kit, and fluid. All I had to do was drop the pan and take out 12 bolts. My buddy was thrilled and still is 10K miles later. Has 245K on it and shifts like new. Without the year and drivetrain of your car I can't say if the valve body can be as easily replaced, but I sure suspect that it is all gunked up inside and a valve body that has been completely disassembled and cleaned might just do the trick.

P.S. If we are talking 1st Gen (1999-2006) I'm pretty sure all those had a GM transmission and that would make it much easier to find someone who is pretty good with those.

Sherry007 02-11-2015 10:25 PM

Hi Pkrface,

you guessed it, its 1999 2.9 Non Turbo. FWD (On Door it says 1998).

All I can wish that I can changed Valve Body on this car, which I don't think DIY job.

Kindly advise.

pkrface 02-12-2015 05:21 AM

I don't know your skill level. Check youtube for video's. Shoould be the 4T65E transmission. Was also used in the Chevrolet Impala of that era.

Sherry007 02-12-2015 07:17 AM

As long as I can do it myself, no issues, because I do most of the works on my car myself if can be done alone.

Next issue, might be tools, are their any extra tool to do this job?

Finally if doesn't sound to be done, what is your suggestion to look used transmission in junk yard, what are the things to be noted, like version, model, etc..so that i can buy with confidence and my workshop guy does not come up with wrong transmission installed.

Thanks.

pkrface 02-13-2015 05:27 AM

Watch the videos on youtube. Doesn't look like any special tools, but there are 4 check balls that may be tricky to get back into place when you reassemble. A rebuilder would have the advantage of being able to rotate the trans on the bench to keep them from falling out that you don't have when you are trying to do it with the trans still in the car. If you do it I would change all the solenoids at the same time. On getting a used trans, I would suggest LKQ. They have a good rep of delivering the right part. Just keep in mind that you have no idea what the service history of the used trans is, so if it is all varnished up inside you may soon have a similar problem.

Sherry007 02-21-2015 10:52 PM

hi Pk,

Just received a car with replaced transmission but used....new oil and filter....few very small jerk on 1/2 gears and after 5 mins drive smooth as silk. As per mechanic he says...it will be gone after few 100 miles.

I have paid all the amount and he gave me one month warranty.

What do you think, shall I continue with this or talk with mechanic for another transmission.

pkrface 02-22-2015 10:18 AM

Give it a week or so before concluding that the 1/2 jerk will remain. There is supposedly a "learning" period for the trans.

Sherry007 02-26-2015 09:53 AM

Thanks pk.