Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Transmission Upshift Shudder (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/transmission-upshift-shudder-1269/)

30KS80 04-06-2005 02:48 AM

Transmission Upshift Shudder

Tech Support advice needed please...I just purchased a 99 S80 2.9 with 30K miles. It was a garage queen and VERY well kept. Anyway, the previous owner was senior to me, and I assume had a slightly less spirited driving style. With that said, I have put on about 150 miles, and experience a very noticable upshift "shudder" at moderate driving levels when the trans shifts from 2nd to 3rd. During a more aggressive acceleration, there is no "shudder". Is this a serious issue, or just the "logic" adapting to a new driving style. To me this is not a normal feeling, and it is really felt in the cabin. I have an appointment with the dealer next week to get the latest download of tranny s/w, and also will advise the dealer to fix it at all cost. (I opted for the 4 yr/48K mi extended warranty)

Any ideas???

tech 04-06-2005 03:17 AM

RE: Transmission Upshift Shudder

You are on the right track the software should fix it.It also adapts to you driving style as well and may be taking a little longer.But try the software first and let us know how it goes.

30KS80 04-06-2005 11:34 AM

Thanks Tech!!! I'll have the car at the dealer on the 12th, and we have agreed to 1st try the code update/reset. The shifting seems to be adjusting somewhat, however it is still not as smooth as my old V70. Love this car regardless!!! On a side note: I replaced the rear rotors, which was very easy, it took less than 1 hour, and eliminated the rear brake vibration. All for less than $110.00!!! Other than the tranny, it is perfect!

I'll post the results of the trans fix next Tuesday. Greatly appreciate your feedback.

tech 04-06-2005 01:57 PM

No problem anytime.

30KS80 04-13-2005 01:10 AM

Some how I just deleted my entire message, a fitting end to this day:(

Here we go: Today my 99 S80 made the 2nd trip to the dealer for a stab at getting the shudder resolved. They researched tech bulletins, and found one that states that the fluid pressue servo must be replaced as the 1st step. This will require almost complete dissassembly of the tranny, with no assurance of resolution. Next step will be the replacement of the trans. I am shocked that this is needed on a car with only 30K on it. It is a great car, but I don't really want to shed the big $$$ for these repairs. Dealer is looking into getting the extended warranty to cover it. If I have to shell out the cash we are looking at >$800 for the servo, and >$3,000 for the trans transplant. I am NOT a happy camper! I really don't want this kind of massive repairs on a low mileage car. I really never imagined this kind of problem with such a nice car. They did not update the code as a fix.

HELP:eek:

tech 04-13-2005 01:36 AM

Did this start at all while you were still under factory warranty?
I have said this before and will say it many times more.YOU can thank CHEVY for the trans problems.
Chevy supplies Volvo with the transmission for the cars.
They haven't been able to figure out the problem either.
The trans is the same one as what it used in the cadi front wheel drive.

Any way if you had ever complained about it while under factory warranty complain big time and Volvo might help you out with the repair.

30KS80 04-13-2005 12:23 PM

Thanks Tech! No, I just purchased the vehicle and noticed it after the purchase, so I don't know if it had the issue before, or started after I purchased it.

Chevy Transmission, boy thats reaching to the bottom of the parts bin!

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

PS: What Trans does the XC90 use?

tech 04-13-2005 05:26 PM

Pretty much the same trans.