Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Trasmission FLUID specs (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/trasmission-fluid-specs-7364/)

mbslr600 08-22-2006 01:35 PM

Trasmission FLUID specs

Hey guys need help! I'm due for an tranny oil change, and I have be researching on the net regarding it. It says that the s80 has a tranny with the brand aisin warner,model no. AW55-50SN (5 speed automatic) which accordingly, requires a specific type of transmission fluid. I found out that it needs the JWS 3309 type of oil according to the mobil 1 website. But I a having problems looking for it. Can you guys suggest any other brands? ATF types? Can the more common, Mobil1 Synthetic ATF or Mobil1 Multi-Vehicle ATF be used? I am changing the fluid because I get this feeling of the gears locking while shifting, would changing the ATF fluid truly solve this problem? Who of you guys have gotten this problem too?

FredMc 08-22-2006 04:43 PM

RE: Trasmission FLUID specs

Misinformation abounds on this subject. Here is the straight message.

JWS 3309 is the correct fluid for AW 5 speed automatics for Volvo. The Volvo dealers stocks this fluid. It's NOT synthetic. It's real expensive from the dealer ($18 a quart). It's made by Mobil and is Mobil 3309.

Second option is to get a case of 12 from a Mobil dealer of Mobil 3309. It's about $46.50 a case.

Do three drain and fills. Find the little yellow dipstick, open hood right side 2/3rd of the way down, move a coolant fluid hose out of the way, you will find it. Fill from there. The plug is obviously underneath like changing your own oil. Uses an allen wrench to loosen and remove it. 3 quarts will flow out, (could be hot and fast watch out). Find a long funnel and snake to the dipstick tube. Fill 3 quarts of 3309 and put yellow dipstick back in.

Do three times total to get virtually new fluid in there. The other 6 quarts are in the torque converter and that's why you have to drive around the block to mix it up every drain.

Call a Mobil distributor like the one below.

http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html

tech 08-22-2006 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: mbslr600

Hey guys need help! I'm due for an tranny oil change, and I have be researching on the net regarding it. It says that the s80 has a tranny with the brand aisin warner,model no. AW55-50SN (5 speed automatic) which accordingly, requires a specific type of transmission fluid. I found out that it needs the JWS 3309 type of oil according to the mobil 1 website. But I a having problems looking for it. Can you guys suggest any other brands? ATF types? Can the more common, Mobil1 Synthetic ATF or Mobil1 Multi-Vehicle ATF be used? I am changing the fluid because I get this feeling of the gears locking while shifting, would changing the ATF fluid truly solve this problem? Who of you guys have gotten this problem too?
Are you 100% sure you have the AW55-50N?
Only the Newer S80 with the 5 Cylinder would have it.
The 6 Cylinder has the 4T65EV Non-turbo and 4T65EV-GT Twin Turbo

mbslr600 08-23-2006 01:31 AM

Yes I have the 5 cylinder engine, with Light pressure turbo. Anyway can the more common synthetic fluids be used? any other brands? types of ATF's? Will it solve the problem that I have of the transmission locking up?

FredMc 08-23-2006 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: mbslr600

Yes I have the 5 cylinder engine, with Light pressure turbo. Anyway can the more common synthetic fluids be used? any other brands? types of ATF's? Will it solve the problem that I have of the transmission locking up?
Read and search.
The answer is a firm NO.
Only use the JWS 3309 for Aisin Warner 5 speed automatic transmissions. That is Mobil 3309.
If you want to experiment out of warranty that is your deal.
Talk to an Amsoil rep and get their synthetic trans fluid. But I don't think it will help any. Sounds like a software issue

tech 08-23-2006 10:01 PM

Sounds like a software problem to me as well.