Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   tune up (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/tune-up-31012/)

robretpd 06-01-2009 10:16 PM

tune up

I have been going through some of the posts and am a little confused.

1999 S80 non-turbo 58K miles. I do not believe the spark plugs have ever been changed. Volvo oem or Bosch? If Bosch which ones? As for the fuel filter I also do not believe that has beenchanged either...it seems there are two kinds..long and short?

2006 S80 39K miles. To soon for spark plugs? Should I go OEM also?? And what about the fuel filter and cabin filter?

Thanks

nicolaselias 06-01-2009 10:53 PM

Re: the 99...
You should do the plugs, I personally choose Bosch.. I would go with platinum or higher... the more you spend (eg. the bosch part # 4417 is a 4+ platinum plug) will last longer without having to be changed.. I personally went with the top of the line which was the IR fusion for about $8 each just because I have no plans of changing them soon..
Next, your fuel filter on a 99 should be the "long" Bosch.. I would check out www.fcpgroton.com for this, along with a new air filter and cabin air filter.
For the cabin air filter, check to see if your system is equiped with IAQS, if so, you need to order the carbon activated cabin air filter.. which is around the same price, just different material..

That pretty much will cover your tune up on the 99.. while you are under there I would have someone take a look at the condition of the timing and serpentine belts.. those are known killers of these engines if they break and you really should check out the condition of yours...

Regards the 2006, its never "too early" for a tune up as it can only benefit the car in the long run... If no tune up has been done on this car so far, buy all the same parts I just specified for the 99 s80.

good luck and let me know how it goes..

if you feel too lazy to buy parts individually, www.fcpgroton.com sells a full tune up kit which should cover everything..

nicolaselias 06-01-2009 11:02 PM

oh yes, forgot to mention.. if you do decide to go with fcp

COUPON CODE JUNEBUG

Enter Coupon Code JUNEBUG in the coupon code section of your shopping cart and receive 10% off your entire order. BUT WAIT, the first 500 orders over $99 will receive FREE SHIPPING! Our largest discount EVER!

andrei3333 06-01-2009 11:03 PM

its never too early for a spark plug change, they tell you how well the engine is doing, forget bosch plugs, use NGK platinums or iridiums, best results ever, bosch may not be bad as well but after their colossal marketing failure of the +4 tip plugs that didnt actually work as advertised i would never use any of their plugs...for fuel filter info call the dealer and give them your vin and they will tell you which one you need...

check the air filter as well, maybe an oil change, tranny fluid change and filter replacement....and so on, fluids are vital,,,,but if you are just doing small maintenance , plugs fuel filter, air filter and maybe a cabin air filter... keep the tire pressure up, maybe you need alignment ? there are plenty of things you can do if you are bored...

nicolaselias 06-02-2009 12:50 AM

well, as far as I know, Bosch is the OEM for this car, hence the reason I use it.. NGK is oem for my accord, hence I use NGK iridium there... i guess its just easier to stick to the original brand recommended... but that said, if you have a particular favourite plug, by all means use it..

robretpd 06-02-2009 06:52 AM

For the 99..can I just get the charcoal activated cabin filter if I do not have IAQS. I am not even sure what that is lol.
I recently did the timing belt and pulleys.

nicolaselias 06-02-2009 08:54 AM

well, you know the air recirculation button on the aircondition controls? If it says "auto" on it, then you are equiped with IAQS and you require the carbon activated filter.

That said, I dont have it and I use the carbon filter, you just will have a slight bit more trouble fitting it but it will work..
Good job on doing the belts,

andrei3333 06-02-2009 08:40 PM

whats the advantage of one cabin filter over another ?

nicolaselias 06-02-2009 09:12 PM

The IAQS system in some of the vehicles works with the carbon activated filter to remove any odors and possible contaminants within the car... it is a much more advanced system than just the regular cabin filter which simply aims to remove dust from the air..

that said, the grey carbon filter can work in a non-iaqs system, just will not give you the benefits it was designed for