Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Turbo Surging (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/turbo-surging-2493/)

gelmetti1 08-27-2005 03:51 AM

Turbo Surging

Hello - I'm new to the forum and my current, recently purchased 2002 T6.

Fortunately, I still have some warranty left.

Here's the problem: when accelerating hard (80-100mph and climbing) the car surges or pulses lightly. I would think aceleration should be smooth with a vehicle of this caliber.

Any ideas? I am scheduling an appointment with a dealer but would like to have an idea of what could be the problem, if it even is a problem.

Otherwise, this is one hell of an auto - I can't believe how effortless it is to get going fast. I'm in Eastern Washington state for some business where some of the back roads have miles of straight roads and little traffic allowing me to "performance test" the S80!;)

Also, many have raved about the comfort of the seats. What gives? Mine are stiff and not comfortable. Is there a way to recondition the leather?

Thanks,

Ed

tech 08-27-2005 11:30 AM

RE: Turbo Surging

The throttle body might be dirty causing this problem you are having.

Also has it been tuned up lately?

gelmetti1 08-27-2005 03:24 PM

Tech,

According to the dealer, the turbos were cleaned the day before I assumed ownership. I don't know if this is the same as the throttle body though. As for a tune up, I don't know if this S80 has been maintained according to the manual.

What is considered a tune up for the S80? I remember the old days when this meant plugs, wires, cap, and timing, but things have changed!

Thanks Tech!

Ed

tech 08-27-2005 03:33 PM

Plugs,fuel filter,Air filter are normal tune-up stuff on these cars.

No the turbo's are different then the throttle body.

You could also have a bad coil on one of the cylinders.

gelmetti1 08-28-2005 02:03 PM

Thanks Tech. I post my findings after my visit to the dealer.

Ed

gelmetti1 09-09-2005 11:59 PM

I had my surging issue addressed by Jim Fisher Volvo in Portland, OR today.

They replaced a turbo control valve in one of the turbos. I haven't been able to verify the repair since I live in the city.

While it was in I had the brakes flushed, they found the tranny fluid dark so I had my 60k tranny service at 40k, and the "full upgrade" software loaded.

$515 later, my warranty repair was complete. Ouch.

Does anyone know of any resources about Volvo's software upgrades? The dealership gave me a vague response as to what the software improved: "makes the various computer units function better"

Ed

tech 09-10-2005 01:36 PM

It it was a total software upgrade it could improve many functions for the engine,trans, and the other 10 computers in the car.