Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   turn signals wont work (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/turn-signals-wont-work-8833/)

studd34000 11-25-2006 09:29 PM

turn signals wont work

yeah i hope in my car today and start it up drive it to the end of the street where i then have to turn well as i turned on my signal nothing happened. i check to see if it was just a little error but nothing happened so i kept going and the further down the road i got i noticed that nothing was working such as my wheel controls and also my message center and stuff like that i know it has to be that little computer fulse board under the dash i just dont know what shimm it would be if anyone knows where it is please let me know thank you

studd34000 11-25-2006 09:30 PM

RE: turn signals wont work

sorry for the spelling hope you can read it

master_pre 11-25-2006 09:42 PM

I had the exact thing happen. It ended up just being a software issue, and it was fixed by reloading the software for 20 dollars. Worse case scenario, you can replace the turn signal apparatus for about 200 dollars, not counting labor.

It's probably just the software, take your car to the dealership and they will have it working in no time.

volvotechky 11-25-2006 11:31 PM

its a SWM steering wheel module, the dealer will replace it or tell you that, new SW will probably not work, it depends if you can communicate with the module or not.

tech 11-26-2006 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: volvotechky

its a SWM steering wheel module, the dealer will replace it or tell you that, new SW will probably not work, it depends if you can communicate with the module or not.

Agreed.

You might not also have Highbeams and Wipers.Or only one speed on the wipers.

studd34000 12-01-2006 10:28 AM

master-pre what kind of issues were you having besides the turn signals not working. because they will not be able to get my car in until next week. but when i turn on the hazord ligts only the right side works and only the windshild wipers only go in one mode stuff like that. i remember when i had to have them fix that circut board thing under the dash it did the same thing for a minute. but please let me know. thank you

master_pre 12-01-2006 09:10 PM

I wasn't able to cycle through the different views (instantaneus mpg, miles left on tank, etc), I was unable to use my turn signals either way. I didn't try out my wipers, so I couldn't tell you for sure on that one. The work shouldn't be to terribly expensive for you. In my case, since it was just a software issue, it took me about an hour in the shop, and that was just cause I had em' scope out the rest of the car to make sure everything looked great!

What work did they do when you are referencing the "circuit board"? As "Tech" said, it could be the control module that is causing your problems. But if they had already replaced that not too long ago for you, that would be quite strange that you already need some more work done.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

studd34000 12-04-2006 02:35 PM

how hard is it to replace the steering wheel module??? and where is it located???

master_pre 12-04-2006 04:49 PM

I wouldn't be able to answer that one for you. I took my car in to get serviced by the dealership. "Tech" would be the guy to ask on that one!

volvotechky 12-04-2006 07:27 PM

its not difficult to replace the module, but it has to be downloaded,it wont work until then, so you might as well let the dealer reaplce it so that if anything goes wrong they are liable

studd34000 12-04-2006 08:39 PM

how much would they charge on time to install it do you think??

tech 12-04-2006 08:48 PM

Should be like 1 hour labor plus the download.
Software $30.00 Half hour to download.

studd34000 12-05-2006 05:19 PM

do you think i wopuld be possible for me to replace it myself and then take it to the dealer to get the software done

tech 12-05-2006 08:37 PM

Possible but you loose alot of functions when it is out totally.

No turn signals,Wipers,Lowbeams, and a few other things.

studd34000 12-05-2006 10:18 PM

oh well everything like that is not working now except the low beams those work. and when i turn on my hazord lights only the right side works is that part of the issue also with a bad swm

tech 12-06-2006 08:31 PM

I haven't seen that yet but would guess yes.
They share the same relay as the blinkers I believe.

studd34000 12-06-2006 10:17 PM

tech where is the swm located exsactly and what would i need to install it like tools wise and what not

tech 12-07-2006 08:35 PM

It is where the blinker and wiper switch connect to.

It has been a while since I did one.

I believe you need to remove the steering wheel then the arms and swap them out.

volvotechky 12-07-2006 08:39 PM

the SWM is located directly behine the steering wheel, you need a 27 torx, 25torx small phillips head screw driver, and a 18mm socket and ratchet for the steering wheel bolt. remove the

1. remove ignition key
2. disconnect batt
3. remove bottom cover on steering colum, also the top
4. remove the srs airbag, the 27torx theres hole on the backside of the steeringwheel
5. remove the 18mm socket for the steering wheel
6.theres a small 10-15torx bit on the wheel to screw into the contact reel so it does not lose its position insert that into the contact reel.
7. mark the steering wheel by paint or scratching on the inside where the bolt goes for a mark to realign the steering wheel
8. remove steering wheel.
9. remove the turn signal levers and the wiper lever.
10. remove the 3, 25torx bolt from the contact reel.
11. unclip the SWM.
12. take a beer break
13. goes from 12 on back
then take to the dealer to have it programmed

studd34000 12-09-2006 01:55 PM

thankyou so much for youe help you guys are awsome