Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Vacuum leak, won't idle (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/vacuum-leak-wont-idle-8124/)

pc142 10-10-2006 02:50 PM

Vacuum leak, won't idle

I have a 2001 S80 2.9 non turbo. Before the engine is even fully up to operating temp it begins to have idle problems. By the time she is up to operating temp she won't idle at all. You have to keep up to about 1800 RPM to keep the engine running. When in the garage before this all happens I can hear a vaccum hiss when reving the engine. It sounds like it is coming from center area of intake, under the upper intake manifold area. I tried spraying water around suspect area while my wife reved the engine. Thought I might hear a difference if thr right spot was hit. No dice. I removed the upper intake manifold and inspected thouroughly. Found nothing. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this problem?

master_pre 10-10-2006 05:45 PM

RE: Vacuum leak, won't idle

Have you had the recall software installed. The S80 has a known idle issue with the software.

S70driver 10-10-2006 08:02 PM

I would check your vaccum lines like personally take them off and inspect them. And replace them with Silicone ones from StylinMotors Inc.

pc142 10-10-2006 09:48 PM

No I haven't had the recall software installed. Actually I didn't know there had been a recall, only an extention of the warranty for the ETM. I am going to be contacting the dealer though. I thought maybe I had a different problem because of the slight hiss sound when engine is reved. Thanks for your input.

pc142 10-10-2006 09:53 PM

I did check the vacuum lines and cut off the old ends. Thanks for your thoughts on installing Silicone lines though.

tech 10-10-2006 11:09 PM

There really isn't many places that will leak on the Non-turbo cars.

Check under the intake good and make sure the big hose is on the throttle body good. Also the small hose off the side of the induction hose.

Also check the hoses off the vent box.

pc142 10-17-2006 03:17 PM

Well I finally cleaned the throttle body. Idles and runs smooth..... for now. Made an appointment for dealer to replace ETM under the extended warranty. They told me nearly two years ago it needed to be replaced, but the $890.00 was a bit much for me so cleaned it instead. Glad it is now covered by the warranty! :D

master_pre 10-17-2006 03:37 PM

Yeah, that is nice! You may want to look into getting the software just to make sure that you have the most current. I know that my car ran much smoother after receiving the upgrade, and I got all systems loaded for $40.00.