Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Various Filter questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/various-filter-questions-22512/)

nicolaselias 08-29-2008 10:22 AM

Various Filter questions

Hi all... just looking for some tips about the various filters for the car..

1. Is there any "best brand" of fuel filter available? I see FCP stocks Mahle while eeuroparts stocks Bosch (which I assume is OEM) at a cost of about $5 more.. is there any particular reason for me to go for one over the other, and does a fuel filter really give you 105,000 miles or is it just another case of Volvo overestimating (eg oil change and t-belt)

2. Oil filters... I know that the OEM is pretty cheap about $5 for the mahle.. Can anyone tell me if this is the best bet? I have been looking around to see if I could get my hands on a synthetic filter for the oil eg. Mobil 1 or Purolator pure one.. Haven’t really been able to find it.. While Mobil 1 says there is a filter for the Volvo (Mobil 1 Model M1C152)I just can’t find it to buy so I don’t really see the use.. There’s also a K + N for about twice the price of OEM, HP-702
What would be the advantage of the syn or the K + N over the regular, and is it really worth the trouble?

3. Air Filters... There’s always the talk of "high performance" air filters as opposed to regular ones... anyone has an opinion on this? The K & N in question is twice the price of the OEM Volvo and almost 4 times the cost of the aftermarket.. What kind of performance gain, if any at all can one expect from this extra expenditure..

Lastly, cabin and transmission...
The details of the Cabin air filter have been discussed multiple times on the forum so I wont go back into that, I was just wondering the usage life of one of these... i.e. how many miles before it requires changing..
And re transmission filters.. does this car actually have one?

Thanks for all the help
Nicolas

tech 08-29-2008 06:34 PM

RE: Various Filter questions

1. I would use Bosch
2. Mahle or Mann would be the best
3.You will also get a little better fuel milage with the K&N as well. I had put on on my wifes barretta a while ago and got 5 more MPG with it.

Pollen filter every 30K
Tranny filter not sure Volvo doesn't reccomend replacing it. But some people do.

nicolaselias 08-29-2008 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info tech... do you personally trust a fuel filter for 105,000 miles?

Also to anyone on the forum, I have a NEW Bosch Fuel filter, for the earlier model S80's.... Its the long filter found on models before mine..
If anyone is interested in taking it off my hands, I will gladly part with it for shipping cost.. I have never used it as it was too large for my vehicle..
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=71059
This is the info on the part if anyone is interested.. It cost me a pretty penny so I'd like to see someone else find a use for it..
I will also be willing to GIVE AWAY the fog lamp switch cover for the earlier model S80's...
See attached pictures...

Please PM me if interested..

[IMG]local://upfiles/14553/D497FE9BF04D474CB20C91593F50C57D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14553/67935B308C2C4C3EB8C68DBE47505FB1.jpg[/IMG]

tech 08-29-2008 09:01 PM

No I change them every 30K.

nicolaselias 09-03-2008 04:07 PM

Well I managed to get the fuel filter changed at Meineke for ~$25 which I cant really complain about considering they let me use my own... I guess I have an inventory of places near me that let me use my own stuff for the job at hand..
Oddly I asked the guy there about what difference he thinks the K + N air filter makes and he said from his experience you get more power and thus less economy... conflicting opinions I see... doesnt matter too much though cause I dont really need to change it for another 25,000k

bigern45 09-03-2008 04:33 PM

more power doesnt necessarily mean less economy. that filter helps the air to freely flow, less friction, so less power drainage pulling air in. youll definately get better fuel economy. and as for the fuel filters id definately change them every 25k. especially with all the different blends of gas. and a fuel pump must be super high when you compare doing maintenance at 45 bucks a pop for every 2 years.

nicolaselias 09-04-2008 08:25 AM

I hear you bigern... there are certain things maintenance wise that just make more sense doing...
I guess the fuel filter completed my first major service of the car since i got it (got it around 96,000).. Its on about 104,000 now and since I got it I did the T-belt and S-belt jobs, full tune up with changing all filters ..
The guy who had it before did a full brake job Jan 2007 that cost him $800 at a chain called just brakes... not really sure what could have cost so much from a company like that but whatever it is, almost 2 yrs later the rotors and pads seem to be in great condition...
So far I cant really complain about the maintenance cost of the car

I guess when its time for a new air filter il pop in a K + N... if not I may even do it early just to see if it really helps the mpg..

Does anyone know how accurate the trip computer on the S80 is? Does it just use defaults for calculating economy or does it take into consideration the current cargo weight and airflow etc..

air force rascal 09-04-2008 05:37 PM

I would HIGHLY recommend WIX filters for your Volvo and any car for that matter...I would NOT recommend K & N for anything..any filter that lets more Air in also lets more Dirt in also...and to have to use an oil to saturate it doesn't make too much sence either..just my LITTLE opinion...Good Luck and Happy Motoring.......

diehardgator1 09-08-2008 10:23 AM

I have checked my milleage several times by using the miles driven by the amount of gas I used and the trip meter computer. I find that I get about 1 1/2 more miles per gallon than what the average miles per gallon will show on the computer.

nicolaselias 09-08-2008 10:34 AM

I have always wanted to do something like that just to see how accurate it is, however I never really drive the same routes (eg, interstate commute to work etc) so I cannot really give accurate figures regarding this

What I have been asking around and never been able to receive an answer about is how the trip computer calculates mpg...
Say I was to change the air filter, will the sensor pick up the difference or will it just calculate based on the old fuel/air ratios...
In the same way that if i changed spark plugs etc will the trip computer calculate the difference..
I assume it might have something to do with where the sensor is located and how many variables it takes into consideration when computing.

nicolaselias 09-08-2008 10:36 AM

Or for example. were I to switch from premium to regular, will you see a difference in the mpg ratings on the trip computer while getting less in actuality..

The volvo dealer here in tampa hasnt really been able to give me any concrete info as to how the computer works or calculates..