Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   very very loud rubbing/grinding when wheel is turned full right (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/very-very-loud-rubbing-grinding-when-wheel-turned-full-right-31166/)

nicolaselias 06-07-2009 05:32 PM

very very loud rubbing/grinding when wheel is turned full right

I have been having this problem recently, and I have considered that it could be the steering stops... the thing is, I used to experience that small rubbing on the wheel well with the faulty steering stops but this appears to be much louder and sounds more like a grinding than a rubbing noise.. I havent had a chance to have the car hoisted, but I was concerned it could have something to do with the power steering pump...
On further consideration, i dont think it does because I flushed the power steering system, and it doesnt make the same noise when I lock the wheel full left..
I also dont think its a velocity joint issue as those normally "pop" when they are worn (at least from my experence with other cars).. I'm trying to think of what else it could be... probably have to carry it to a shop to hoist to get a better look at what is going on under there but any advice will be appreciated..

If I get a chance to, i'll try to take a video so you can hear the noise im referring to..

thanks

TexFinn 06-07-2009 09:10 PM

Have you checked wheel bearings and brakes?

nicolaselias 06-07-2009 10:19 PM

I considered left wheel bearing, but i was wondering why the sudden problem... I did drive the car a bit... enthusiastically in an empty parking lot burnouts etc full lock on and all that, and possibly the sound started after, which led me to think that my not so responsible actions would have damaged something or the other..

re: brakes, i dont think thats it, because i cant find any correlation with braking, and the brake system is in top condition..
assume it to be the wheel bearing, how much we talking for the part and labour.. and I assume I should do the other side while am at it?

tech 06-08-2009 04:49 AM

Are the steering stops broke or dry?

nicolaselias 06-08-2009 01:29 PM

I suspect that they may have been worn but are maybe broken now...
I know it is not an expensive part to buy for replacement, but I dont know how to change it myself.. Plus not having a shop jack means itl be a PITA to do...
From what I can see, there are 3 different sizes of steering stop, 14mm, 17.5mm and 18.7 mm which of these will be the correct one for my car? Also, the only brand I am seeing for sale is scan-tech and I know you people are not their biggest fan.. its roughly $10 each plus shipping..

tech 06-08-2009 07:03 PM

You have to see what ones you have now.

nicolaselias 06-08-2009 07:49 PM

I'll try to get that checked out this weekend... if not, sometime next week..

iceracer46 09-18-2009 01:34 PM

I'm late to the party here I'm sure.

I've had a similar issue on my 98 v70 and it turned out to be the backing plate rubbing when the wheel crank pretty hard.

Do people actually wear those plastic rubbing blocks on the control arms off?

I find the bushings let go long before the stops do. I guess I don't crank my wheels like others do.

tech 09-18-2009 08:51 PM

I have seen the blocks missing on alot of cars.