Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Vibration problem (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/vibration-problem-70994/)

SvtFoci 05-16-2013 06:46 PM

Vibration problem

Hi all, new member, lurked for a while. I have a '99 S80 T6 90k, and recently noticed vibration in the front and through the steering wheel. It happens when I go over bigger bumps where the cars goes down after going over the bump/little hill, and when I turn right, turning left is all fine. I have go pretty fast and sharply into the curve for it to happen, and also over the hills i gotta go pretty fast. Normal turning is all fine, it's when I push it that it happens. I put new sway bar links on it today, so that's not it. Anybody know what it may be?

SvtFoci 05-22-2013 05:40 PM

Anybody? Also, it goes away after driving for about 5-10 minutes.

akabond 05-23-2013 07:52 AM

this looks like a very common problem and i have read a lot about this on this forum. why dont you do a search. I am sure you will get lot of similar problems with solutions

SvtFoci 05-23-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by akabond (Post 353807)
this looks like a very common problem and i have read a lot about this on this forum. why dont you do a search. I am sure you will get lot of similar problems with solutions

Oh I tried that, I spent about an hour looking for something similar, on several different forums too. There was really nothing that I could find that would help me out.

torontos80t62000 05-23-2013 07:31 PM

WHEEL BARRING, BALL JOINT OR TIE ROD problems can u lift the car up on the problem side..???

SvtFoci 05-23-2013 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by torontos80t62000 (Post 353879)
WHEEL BARRING, BALL JOINT OR TIE ROD problems can u lift the car up on the problem side..???

Yes I can. I tried the 6 and 12 o'clock wiggle and 9 and 3. No shaking or play at 6 and 12, there is just a little bit a 9 and 3, so not sure if that's something. It's weird cause it goes away after it "warms" up once I drive for about ten minutes.

torontos80t62000 05-23-2013 09:58 PM

first start off simple put your full weight into the tire test you dont want any play a little play in the tie rod is fine but its hard for me or you determine how much is good then remove wheel, remove rotor, chec wheel hub for any giggle or wiggle you dont want any play not one bit or any visible worn parts in wheel hub .. second is the rotor warped? its suppose to be perfectly straight or evenly worn down from pads.I had a vibration in bra pedal when applied on the hi way..... every thing seemed fine to me did the same test you did then brought to shop mechanic lifted car up put his full weight(230lbs Mechanic) into a ferm bottom of tire wiggle test ..right away he said you need ball joints badly..dammmmmmmmmmmmmmm ps i replaced the sway bar lin was causing a clunc over small bumps after repair ..bolts wer not tight enough .......tightened bolts changed ball joints my self problem solved .............hard cornering puts weight on sway bar, ball joints and wheel barrings

the wiggle at 9 & 3 sounds very suspect