Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   volvo s80 LOSS OF TURBO POWER (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/volvo-s80-loss-turbo-power-71625/)

bobby sharpe 06-16-2013 08:07 AM

volvo s80 LOSS OF TURBO POWER

Hi...for a while now every now & then I seem to loose all turbo power on my Volvo s80 . Switching the engine off for a few minutes normally solves the problem , however turbo power has gone altogether now only way I could get home from a day out yesterday was to keep the car at 30mph any more it .would start loosing power altogether. Car actually lost power & stopped 3 times. Now there is a message on my computer saying engine manage systems failure urgent.Any clues before I take it to a garage.

Was wondering also when mechanic plugs into the computer will this tell him the main problem....don't want to be paying & ruling things out until we get to the problem.

Regards

Bobby

torontos80t62000 06-16-2013 02:01 PM

I would call the volvo dealership or a volvo indy shop to find out every thing you can. See if you can get a free scan or some deal if you can be slic!
I would first get the car scanned by dealer they will tell you exactly 100% what the problem is or a shop that can 100% scan volvos .I would then find a independent part sours (OEM) only .Once your found your problem get a shop that does volvos. Your problem could be from fuel injectors to battery to turbo's .p.s find the problem as fast as you can then start your shopping around. This will help you work around hundreds!

torontos80t62000 06-16-2013 02:19 PM

the volvo dealership will tell you exactly what the problem means! this will save u time, not money

some independent shops might not always be able to run a scan
but you can always try another place until you find one! this will save you money but not always time!!!!

bobby sharpe 06-18-2013 03:54 PM

Many thanks for your replies had a bit of a nightmare since putting car into a garage to get the faults read. I instructed them to do a diagnostic test and start looking at the fuel filter first to which they done. When I rang the garage they said the problem was still there and that they needed to send injectors away at a cost of a few hundred quid but worse was that this might still not cure the problem. I declined that and went and picked the car up right away. Strangely the problem seems to have gone the car for the past few hrs has not lost any power. I am hoping that the fuel filter was the problem & that the garage were wanting to rule everything out to be on the safe side of spin me a yarn....whatever I have the car back now and fingers crossed its running fine. If the problem does return & I do have to look at the injectors what would be the cheapest way to do this ?? the garage said they were going to send them away to get tested but as mentioned this was going to be costly & still not 100 per cent. Can second hand injectors be bought or is that a silly question..?

regards

David

torontos80t62000 06-18-2013 07:09 PM

Them sending the injectors away for testing sounds expensive and if this is the problem there is a machine that cleans and tests the injectors if you have any doubts I would take it to another shop and tell theM you want a FUEL RAIL PRESSURE TEST. The injectors are connected to the fuel rail and 1 or 2 can easily be removed for visual inspection clogging,metal chips or worn out injector o-rings. You could even clean the injectors your self with internet help. youtube how to check the fuel pressure on a volvo and how to clean a fuel injector so you can have some insight, Its really not that complicated at all.This is a simple way to rule out or attack the fuel problem that they say you have!

yes you can buy used injectors but you might need something as simple a rubber o-ring that holds and seals the injector in place. Get a rail test and injector inspection also ask about the turbo's and their oil lines.

any way start small in my opinion but i am confident you will get passed this in no time what year is it? and how much did they charge you for a scan?

ps there is also a fuel rail pressure sensor
cheers!!!!!

torontos80t62000 06-18-2013 07:55 PM

if you buy used injectors they need to be in really good condition that could be difficult. So the code that they pulled from the car is very important for you find out. If their code reader said fault in injectors and was not specific it could be either clogged, electrical valve inside has failed or fuel rail pressure sensor. This is why maybe they need to due a test. I would start calling many different mechanics to see if they actually have the fuel injector cleaning\testing machine for a much cheaper price. And a in shop fix that should be no more than 2hrs labor with out sending car parts around the country.
if she acts up again. i got my fingers crossed for you buddy!

I would clean them my self lots on youtube

or jump on any place that offers you your injectors repairs for 250$ and under only get a shop that stands behind their repairs!!!!!!!!!! do not settle for anything else you are the person paying his bills

Kiss4aFrog 06-19-2013 12:46 AM

You're looking for something like this and it may or may not be available locally.

Fuel Injector Cleaning Service, Reconditioning & Injector Flow Testing

This is why using a fuel injector cleaner like Lucas occasionally is a good thing :D
It's also why on a high performance engine you want them flow matched.

http://www.injectorrx.com/wp-content...cleaning-2.jpg

bobby sharpe 06-20-2013 02:08 AM

Many many thanks for your help everyone...im of to Germany ( not in the car ) for 5 days,on my return I shall follow your very good advice and get test done on the injectors....second mechanic I took car to says he will be able to do it & the first garage obviously thought I was rolling in money.

I will keep you informed of results when I get them done many thanks again.

Regards

David

torontos80t62000 06-22-2013 12:16 AM

Alright David we will be here for you/waiting for update....lol have fun!
what year is? it and how much did they charge for a OBD scan? the $$$$$ shop?

bobby sharpe 06-27-2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by torontos80t62000 (Post 357091)
Alright David we will be here for you/waiting for update....lol have fun!
what year is? it and how much did they charge for a OBD scan? the $$$$$ shop?

Hi Toronto.........many thanks for your help. Well I am back from Germany and the original problem I had with my 52 plate Volvo has gone. I take it that particular problem ( car conking out completely and total loss of power ) was solved by the fuel filter change , however the idling problem is still there. My plan now is to get a second diagnostic reading as the idling problem could be a number of things. I put a cleaning fluid in the tank yesterday and if the truth is known car does seem to be pulling a lot better but it is still early doors as this takes a while to work. What I have noticed now is that when I drive the car hard a little bit I seem to have a slight leak coming from the engine...this leak is not new its from working the car a little bit through the gears. this has happened in the past when I have been towing my caravan....its not rocket science to work out that this leak only happens when the engine is being worked. I thought it was an oil leak but ive ruled that out because the fluid is far to clean almost clear, yet very oily to touch with hardly any taste ( yes I tasted it ) when it has been raining it does actually look like oil the way it disperses with the water. Any thoughts...apologies in advance for hammering you with all my car problems but I suppose that's what the forums for.

many thanks

David

torontos80t62000 07-05-2013 07:59 AM

Hey man thats what im here for is helping any time no bother brother. Are you running the a/c. The a/c has a water release valve just like the one at home in your window. What I am thinking is that its running over the oily engine then onto the ground. I had same problem and had my lips on it within seconds, like you did and it sounds like the same thing.. if its a lot you should be able to determine what your dealing with by color and tast......

Cheers

s80 t6 2000 197.000km and counting polar arctic matalic, tinted Toronto Canada

sneezer 07-05-2013 06:38 PM

try cleaning your mass air flow senser fixes alot of idling problems. crc mass air flow senser cleaning is a great product $8.00 a can. if you dont know how to do it utube it very ez job 20min is u need. dont use any other product but crc mass air flower cleaner.

Kiss4aFrog 07-06-2013 12:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
CRC is an excellent product but any MAF sensor cleaner will work. What you don't want is to use carb cleaner. Same with throttle bodies. They have a special coating to protect from corrosion and you need to be careful what you spray it with so it doesn't strip off the coating.