Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Volvo S80 not starting (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/volvo-s80-not-starting-17893/)

caldwell07 02-26-2008 09:59 PM

Volvo S80 not starting

I've recently had the engine replaced in my 2000 Volvo S80 (with a 2001 S80 engine), after the tensioner broke on the timing belt and caused major damage to the valves. I got the car back, but I've experienced a problem with the car not starting sometimes. At other times it starts right up. I am wondering if the problem could be the alternator (the original alternator was left on) or could it be something else that may have been over looked when the engine was replaced. The car makes a clicking noise when it won't start. I turn the key over ----nothing but a clicking noise.
Is there a voltage regulator on this car? Or do you think the original alternator should be replaced because the new engine is out of a 2001 S80? I could really use some help on this.

caldwell07 02-26-2008 10:08 PM

RE: Volvo S80 not starting

When I jumper-start the car it cranks right up. I've also had the battery checked and re-charged, along with the cranking system checked--it's all up to par. Also, the belts are tight.

caldwell07 02-27-2008 12:25 PM

Just another note. My interior lights and sunroof have always worked fine. When I picked the car upthe interior lightsworked whilethe door was open, as normal. However, when the dooris closed the interior light switch does not work, nor the sunroof.I really baffled by all of this. Tech, if you're out there, I'd like to know what you think. Help.

tech 02-27-2008 06:40 PM

Sounds like the voltage regulator might have gone bad.
Can you check voltage with the car running?
Lock and unlock the car with the key and the lights and sunroof should work.

caldwell07 02-28-2008 09:52 AM

Thanks for the response,Tech.I will try that today (lock and unlock)and let u know what happens. I've had the alternator replaced with a new one (expensive alternator). I've been told that the voltage regulator is built-in to the alternator. So, hopefully the problem should be fixed.

soapman 02-28-2008 03:02 PM

I was about to make my own post, but I saw this one, where the symptoms mirror mine, so Ill just post here.

I have a 99 s80, non turbo, and havent really had any real problems with it so far other than changing the tie rods a few months ago. Last week, I went away for the weekend, came back and the car would not start just like the original poster described, it made a clicking sound, as if it was not turning over. My thought is that the battery was bad, not holding the charge, because this is the only time the car would not start, and it was following a 60+ hour period where I didnt start it. So I got it jumped, and it started right up and then I eventuallyreplacedthe battery with a new one.

But reading this post, Im wondering if the battery not holding the charge is not the answer. I dont have a meter so I have been unable to check the voltage yet. This problem just came out ofthe blue when I went away for the weekend. Nothing has changed with the car other than the SRS airbag service light came on about two weeks before the time it didnt start. I highly doubt that has any connection, but I just put it out there anyways in case it may. I cant think of any possible "power leak" that is draining the battery. No lights or anything appear to be on other than the blinking red alarm light that has always been doing that so I doubt that tiny little light would be draining the battery.

Id like to hear from the original poster if possible, what sort of time frame was involved between the last running of the car and then the times when it wouldnt start.

And also any sort of tests I might be able to do without an electrical meter.

Thanks in advance

caldwell07 02-28-2008 03:32 PM

My car had been down for a couple months while I had the engine replaced. However, whenI picked it up from the shop, i immediately started to have the problem with it not starting. I took it back and the alternator was replaced. The day i went to pick it up, after the alternator was replaced, I left the shop and was about to get on the highway. So, I tried to open the sunroof and it wouldn't open, nor did the interior lights work. So, I called my technician here and he told me to bring it back so he could see why the sunroof and lights no longer worked.
I am not a technician, nor am I mechanically inclined, so I really can't comment as far as your last question. However, that doesn't make me love my Volvo any less.

caldwell07 02-28-2008 03:53 PM

Tech, you are a "Volvo Guru." My guy who does the work on the S80 tried the door lock/unlock and my sunroof and interior lights are now working.Even he wasimpressed by it!!!!You've guided me thru alot since this car went down on me. Thank you so much.

soapman 02-28-2008 04:01 PM

thanks for the quick reply caldwell. My question about the tests was more for tech.

Also tech, I was wondering if you know if there is a difference between a clicking sound during failure to start, and the ignition turning over but not starting? Basically what I mean is, is the clicking symptomatic of something other than a bad battery, or is clicking just the way volvos fail to start?

tech 02-28-2008 07:02 PM

It would be best to have a meter and one that will read AMPS.