Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   VOLVO S80 T6 WEIRD NOICE/ HARDER ENGINE START (LIKE COLD START) (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/volvo-s80-t6-weird-noice-harder-engine-start-like-cold-start-22257/)

MMAFIGHTER 08-18-2008 08:57 PM

VOLVO S80 T6 WEIRD NOICE/ HARDER ENGINE START (LIKE COLD START)

I have a 2000 Volvo S0 T6, and had just replaced the whole engine with about 48,000 miles. They reason why I did this, is because the serphetine belt came loose and went into timing and the timing belt jumped over, and bend the valves. This new engine runs like a dream and feels a lot more powerful than the old one which had 124,000 miles on it, and got a great deal onit too. No turbo lagor nothing like that, and I just didn't wanna get rid of this car, cause of the power andI likeit alot, even though I havea couple other cars, including 2005 S60 R. Now my question is, when I start this new engine, it starts a little differently, more like a cold start, like if the belts are too tight or as if something is chooking it for about two seconds or so than it runs smooth. Also one other thing I noticed is, when I hit the accelerator and release it quickly it makes this squicking or like whinning noise, now I'm not sure if this is due to a serphenting belt being loose or too tight, which I have had replaced as well, or maybe even some air passing through the turbine pipes, orBipass valve, just not sure and don't wanna take it to the dealership because I think it's just a minor problem. This happens when the car is stationary and when moving as well. Even when shifting from P to D or P to R, but tranny is just smooth. Please help me out with this if you know anything that might be helpfull to me. Thank you

tech 08-18-2008 09:23 PM

RE: VOLVO S80 T6 WEIRD NOICE/ HARDER ENGINE START (LIKE COLD START)

Any trouble codes? Sometimes does it crank over alot before starting?

MMAFIGHTER 08-18-2008 10:43 PM

No, there is no codes, and it does not crank over that long, about two seconds or less. It only seems like if you're starting a car after it's been sitting somewhere for a while, and it's having a little harder time starting that's all.As for that noice when the accelerator ispushed in, what mightthe cause of that be? Thank you for the reply

tech 08-19-2008 07:02 AM

Have the fuel rest pressure checked.For the noise check where the steering shaft goes through the floor and see if the metal sleeve fell out of the rubber.

bigern45 08-19-2008 05:20 PM

i have seen check valves in the fuel pumps go bad, and you can lose residual fuel pressure that is necessary for start up, and would also cause the slight rough running condition that accompanies a hard start. if you could install a fuel pressure gauge and leave it in over night and check when you start the next day. if you have zero pressure, then you could watch the pressure continue to build as you crank and then start. i guess it could be a leaking injector as well, leaking out all the fuel into the cylinder. then when pressure builds up and the engine starts you have one cylinder that is full of gas or has no compression due to the fuel soaking in the rings.. fuel gauge would be the way to start.. look at your residual pressure...

MMAFIGHTER 08-20-2008 12:37 AM

Thank you for all your help, I'll have that checked with my machanic, the good thing is I got 6 months warranty and it covers everything. Now about that noise when reving the engine and leting go of the accelerator quickly, I'm getting a Blow off valve like noice, loud and all and have not experienced this with my old engine. I just hope it's not the head gasked letting air out of it, but if I had a blown gasked I would have seen water in oil or some leaks around the block! This happens when reved above 3000 or 4000 plus Rpms, and still geting that whining or whistling noise. If anyone knows anything related to this let me know. Thanx again

tech 08-20-2008 08:50 PM

Like I stated check that metal sleeve if it fell out it would allow alot of noise coming inside that you never heard before.

MMAFIGHTER 08-21-2008 09:36 AM

Thank you, I will check it out

MMAFIGHTER 08-25-2008 10:01 PM

I figured it out. The reason why I was having problems with my engine starts was because of the battery loosing juice and not being charged by the alternator, and the battery was purchased about a month ago, so it's brand new. Now the reason why this was happening is because I found a leak on the power steering pump and it's located right behing and above the alternator, so all this oil was going into my alternator causing these problems.So I decided to take the battery out of myS60R to test it, and it worked justfine,didn't take long to crank over, starts right up. But not I have this leak on the power steering and it's coming out of this little bolt that is located right above the alternater. So my question is what is this bolt for, could it be tolet outthe power steering fluid and could it be tightened more to prevent this leak. Also is there a seal that goes with it. I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with this, I just don't feel like taking it to the dealership and pay them to tighten this bolt up, or maybe it's a bigger problem, maybe I might need to get a new pump.

tech 08-25-2008 10:21 PM

Check both hoses at the front of the pump they commonly leak. Mainly the rubber one with the hose clamp. If it is leaking out the front then it is usually the front seal and you would need to replace the pump.

silencecom 08-26-2008 02:06 AM

Did you figure out the sqeeking noise? if not i know what it is..... Mine did the same thing after i stomped on the gas once realy hard... it sounded like a rubber ducky every time i hit the accelerator quickly.. I found out that one of the sensors had blown out of the boost tube going into the throttle body. I dont think this is what happened to yours but i bet there is a leak or something they forgot to connect somewhere on the pressure side of the boost system and probly on the tube going into the throttle body (thick tube right in front of the radiator) On top of the tube there is a contraption called a dump valve or something like that wich dumps excess boost pressure and if the return line isnt hooked up all the way it will dump overboard and also make this sound. some people even disconnect it because it sounds cool but i dont think it help performance at all and may hurt it if anything. Have someone rev the engine with quick taps to the floor while you (carefuly) feel around with your hand and ears to find the leak as im sure there is one. see below for a link to the thread i started when i had the issue. there are pics included wich may help you out some. https://volvoforums.com/m_106677/tm.htm

MMAFIGHTER 08-26-2008 10:39 PM

No it's not leaking out of the hoses, they look dry,but instead there is a bolt in the front of the pump and the fluid leaks through it as I turn the steering wheel. So my question is can that bolt be tightened up to prevent this leak, cause I thought it could be the drain seal for the power steering fluid or maybe not! Thank you

silencecom 08-27-2008 02:04 AM

Im not talking about your steering issue im talking about the following

Thank you for all your help, I'll have that checked with my machanic, the good thing is I got 6 months warranty and it covers everything. Now about that noise when reving the engine and leting go of the accelerator quickly, I'm getting a Blow off valve like noice, loud and all and have not experienced this with my old engine. I just hope it's not the head gasked letting air out of it, but if I had a blown gasked I would have seen water in oil or some leaks around the block! This happens when reved above 3000 or 4000 plus Rpms, and still geting that whining or whistling noise. If anyone knows anything related to this let me know. Thanx again
The tubes im talking about are the turbo boost tubes that go into you intake. The big one is between the radiator and the engine and i bet you have a leake like either something wasnt hooked up all the way or at all or something blew out. If there is a leak you will get the noise you heard.

tech 08-27-2008 06:33 PM

What I would try is remove the screw and use either some sealer on the screw or loctite and reinstall it and let it sit for a little while and recheck.

MMAFIGHTER 08-27-2008 11:47 PM

The hoses are ok, they look dry and no leaks. Instead the leak is coming out of the bolt on the pump itself, and this bolt is located in the front of the pump, behing and just above the alternator. The first thing that came to my mind was, that this bolt could be to release the power steering fluid out, but than again I'm not sure if it could be tightened up or not and just don't wanna mess with it without asking for your opinion. So could you please help me out with this and tell me if this could be done, or if I might need another pump instead! Thank you

MMAFIGHTER 08-28-2008 11:58 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. The first thing I wanted to do is to with the ps pump is to unscrew that bolt and put some kind of a sealant but just wasn't sure if I should be touching it, I'll give it a try and see what happens. As for the squealing noice, I knew it had to do with the vaccum leak somewhere, and I have changed the thicked curvy hose or the bipass hose so they call it, cause when they pulled out my old engine it cracked and was torn up. So it's gotta be some of those thin hoses that hook up to it, and are located on the right side and behind the radiator and the fan. I'll have that checked as well and get back to you guy. Thanks again

MMAFIGHTER 09-02-2008 08:43 PM

I have fixed the leak on the power steering, the bolt was just too loose and needed to be tighter. Now about that noise when I rev the engine, it's still there and yes it does sound like a rubber duck when the engine is reved kinda like a blow off valve, but a squealing sound instead, only when I release thepedal quickly. I checked the bipass hoses and the rest of the vaccum hoses and they all got clamps on and are tight, there is no air passing through any of them. Any other suggestions.The serphentine belt had some power steering fluid on it due to a leak on the pump, soI dried it a little bit and the noise is still there.So if youcould think of anything else to help me out on this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys, you have been helpfull