Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   VVT solenoid? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/vvt-solenoid-16522/)

mygreenbomb 01-07-2008 09:20 PM

VVT solenoid?

Hi all! Hoping someone can help me out. I recently got a '99 s80 t6 (yes I know, problem child, still holdong onto the 850t with 220k for now). It recently lost oil pressure and I brought it in to be serviced. They replaced the oil pump o rings and pick up tubes. Now the car makes this strange whirring like noise and has no power. They put down that it needs a vvt solenoid and a rear 02 sensor. Where is this solenoid? Can I change it myself it the hopes it will solve this problem. My CEL is on and I have a handheld scanner and got the code P0141 and P0014. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks! [sm=icon_beat.gif]

tech 01-08-2008 06:28 PM

RE: VVT solenoid?

With out special tools I would not attempt to do it your self.

kkenney123 03-24-2009 07:56 AM

Do it yourself

You dont need any special tools to do this. You need a ratchet driver and an 8mm socket, and I cant remember the size, but you will need a torx bit as well (the star shaped bit head). Thats it. The solenoid sits right on top of the engine on the left side, under the plastic cover, right next to the cams (where the timing belt is). You will need the torx bit to get the cover off and the 8mm socket to get the solenoid off. You will also need to buy the gasket that goes under the solenoid, which you can pick up for about $6 at a volvo dealership. It is called a cam adjust solenoid by the way and the gasket is thus the cam adjust solenoid gasket. If you are going to buy the solenoid (about $112 from a dealer), then it comes with the gasket, but most times, you can just take the solenoid off, clean it with some carb cleaning solvent, and once it dries, put it back together. Make sure you change the oil when you do this.

When your vvt solenoid fails, the most likely cause is oil sludge from either not changing the oil (and filter) often enough, or using low grade oil. I would recommend running synthetic.

Hope this helps.

-Krys

tech 03-24-2009 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kkenney123 (Post 150868)
You dont need any special tools to do this. You need a ratchet driver and an 8mm socket, and I cant remember the size, but you will need a torx bit as well (the star shaped bit head). Thats it. The solenoid sits right on top of the engine on the left side, under the plastic cover, right next to the cams (where the timing belt is). You will need the torx bit to get the cover off and the 8mm socket to get the solenoid off. You will also need to buy the gasket that goes under the solenoid, which you can pick up for about $6 at a volvo dealership. It is called a cam adjust solenoid by the way and the gasket is thus the cam adjust solenoid gasket. If you are going to buy the solenoid (about $112 from a dealer), then it comes with the gasket, but most times, you can just take the solenoid off, clean it with some carb cleaning solvent, and once it dries, put it back together. Make sure you change the oil when you do this.

When your vvt solenoid fails, the most likely cause is oil sludge from either not changing the oil (and filter) often enough, or using low grade oil. I would recommend running synthetic.

Hope this helps.

-Krys

That is as long as it is only the reset valve solenoid.
Some call the VVT unit a VVT solenoid. That's a bad problem with Volvo that have about 5 different names for the same thing.

erndawg 03-24-2009 11:24 PM

The P0141 is the O2 sensor and the P0014 could be either the CVVT Solenoid or the Cam Position Sensor.

I wrote up some notes on replacing the CCVT Solenoid (aka Cam Reset Valve) just recently. Codes P0014 and P0013 are the same problem. https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/check-engine-light-codes-p0013-p1332-2000-s80-t6-28693/

Not sure how your dealer knows for sure it's the CVVT Solenoid; I would also suspect the Cam Position Sensor. The CVVT Solenoid is cheaper by about $75 less.