Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   water damage to engine (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/water-damage-engine-33872/)

silencecom 08-30-2009 09:41 PM

water damage to engine

ok.. drove through 3 feet of water... sucked it into the engine and think i bent a rod.. the crank shaft WILL NOT MOVE.. pistons seem intact. insurance gave me salvaged value of 3500 so thats what i have to work with.. i should have just taken it in for a new used motor swap for about 2000 bucks but instead i decided to do it my self.. engine is almost out everything but the axles have been removed..

looking for tips on getting them out.. tips like.... how exactly do i take them out?

once the motor is out i will tear it open and see if i can figure out what the problem is. i will either replace the rods and whatever is wrong with it or i will replace the engine. figuring out where everything went should be about a weeks worth of time. ITS A MESS... theres so much stuff that needed to be disconnected i should have taken pics..

on another note i had always felt like the car was underpowered compared to other s80's i had driven and could never figure it out but today i played with the turbos and noticed they seem sticky.. like they turn easy enough and but if i spin them they pretty much just stop... i would think they would spin freely enough to were they would keep going for a while.... is this an indication that i should change them since i have access to them anyway?

thanks in advance. any info on the axles removal or the turbos are welcom and any other tips for pulling this motor out would also be helpfull. i am hoping i have all the mounts undun correctly.. the top mount and the bottom fwd mount are both BROKEN.... not sure if this happened durring sudden stoppage or what... i do know they were intact last summer when i pulled the intake manifold off to change the crank case breather/oil box or whatever it is..

silencecom 08-30-2009 09:43 PM

oh its a 99 s80 t6 by the way.... thanks

tech 08-30-2009 10:54 PM

The turbo's might have a sludge build up in there.

I always leave the tranny in the car and pull motor only.

silencecom 08-30-2009 11:56 PM

realy.... how much easier is it to do? didnt even think of that but it makes sence i didnt know it would be even possible to do in such a tight space.

silencecom 08-31-2009 04:58 PM

ok axles have to come out cause engine is not seperable from tanny due to the fact that it cannot be rotated to undo flywheel/tq converter. PLEASE tell me the secret to removing them.. mostly the drivers side. it will not slide out of the tranny and i can see no clips or set screws or anything. thanks

silencecom 08-31-2009 07:42 PM

alright engine is out with tranny as one unit.. axles were easy just needed to pry them out or pop them out if u will.... the hard part was makin sure everything was disconnected.. its hangin from the picker in my garage right now.. next is to order up a good used one.. anyone know the best place to shop for an s80t6 motor?

tech 08-31-2009 08:03 PM

Search around on the net for one. Also check http://car-part.com/

I usually remove the bracket to the motor holding the axle.

75ohm 09-01-2009 07:27 AM

Man... where are you located, I'd like to jump in on this action.

silencecom 09-01-2009 06:01 PM

im in jacksonville nc u anywhere close? well today i got my settlement of 3500 bucks and i have made my parts list to order from volvo.. so hopefully tonight ill get an engine on order.. car-part.com was just what i was looking and its the same site the guy at the garage was using to show me what he would order so this should save me from paying a mark up.. im thinking i can get something for under 1500 shipped.

the turbos someone mentioned might be gummy... i am wondering what preventive and improving maintenance i can do to the turbos since they are out and accessable. bearings feel good and no play. anything i could spray on them to clean em without harming them?

i have oul residue in the downpipes how normal is this... anything i should check? it has a brand new breather box because i suspected this was the problem but it turned out not to be.... maybe later ill take some picks of the project.

Thanks

tech 09-01-2009 07:19 PM

If the turbo's have no play and do not look like they are full of sludge in the oil feed line leave them alone.

Make sure you change the oil every 3K to make them last longer.

silencecom 09-02-2009 05:23 PM

new USED engine (long block) with 123000 miles warranted will be here tommorrow.. already have all new main seals and various gaskets and packings on order (overnighted and if im lucky i will get it running durring my 3 day weekend.. i love it when a plan comes together.

tech 09-02-2009 07:17 PM

Cool glad things are working out.

silencecom 09-02-2009 10:14 PM

the trick will be getting good tranny and tq converter off old engine. I think im gonna have to take the engine apart and find out what is binding and unbind it so i can rotate crank and get the tq converter off. the other thing is transfering all the stuff from one engine to the other... that $hit is heavy and i cant see much alternative to rolling at least on of them around on the ground to get parts on or off. only have one cherry picker.. my neighbor might have one though.. id like to beable to hang em both at once.

tech 09-03-2009 06:42 PM

Try to find an engine stand to borrow and put one on the stand and the other on the cherry picker.

I would pull the pan and loosen which every rod is bad and slide it up so you can turn the motor over.

silencecom 09-06-2009 09:49 AM

ok got the new one on the engine stand and i didnt remove the bad rod but i disconnected it and slip the piston all the way up to allow me to rotate the crank... the rod closest to the timing belt looks like an S and that shortened it enough for the bottom of the piston to run into the crank weights.. this engine it seems could easily be ready to run again by removing the head and replacing the rod and the piston.. let me know if anyone needs a GOOD project motor for cheap.

silencecom 09-14-2009 12:09 AM

started a new thread with pics of the project