Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Wheel Sensors (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/wheel-sensors-5258/)

99s80 04-08-2006 06:55 PM

Wheel Sensors

Howdy! just had my ABS control module fixed by Victor - that seemed to fix alot of "lights" on the Christmas tree dashboard - however - my ABS lights still come on when driving... I've tried Vic's fixes, but still the lights... I've heard that the Wheel Sensors can also cause this - whether broken or just dirty...

Does anyone know where to find these and if so - how to fix/clean/tell if they are bad... etc????

I've searched for a couple of hours now and cannot find info on how to diagnose/replace anywhere... I'm thinking if they are about $75 each that I'd at least try to fix them myself....
Thanks!!

tech 04-08-2006 07:52 PM

RE: Wheel Sensors

First try to have the codes pulled.
If you didn't have them cleared the light will still come on.

99s80 04-08-2006 11:48 PM

Tech, thanks for the quick reply...

When you say codes pulled are you talking about pulling the fuse on the ECM or holding the trip reset and the shutting off? Or do you mean there is a deeper, more sinister plot within my ride that is keeping the code?

Any idea on those wheel sensors - where they are, etc...

I'm also a Mustang Fan! Had Rangoon Red 65 Fastback and an Electric Blue/Silver 91 GT... loved them both and still kicking myself...

tech 04-09-2006 01:36 AM

The front sensors are located in the front hubs. They are easy to see the wiring going into the top of the hub.
The rears screw into the back of the backing plate.

Yes you need a really good OBDII setup to read codes from the ABS.
Codes also get stored in the CEM(MAIN computer in the car.

Yes I love my Stang to I will be burried in it.

rhgibson 04-11-2006 11:32 AM

my s80 has a problem with the ABS/STC lights coming on too,,, it's kind of intermittent, usually after driving at least an hour or so,,, when i turn the car off and
restart the lights do not come back on again, until some random time later,, maybe 1 day, maybe a week.... my local volvo independant shop told me that Volvo
has trouble with the computer that controls this,, a $700 replacement and you have to give your old unit back to them.....
TECH, maybe you can help with this----- if this is a common problem, it seems that there is a single component, like a chip or something that is the problem and
not the whole computer and should be able to be fixed a lot cheaper ......... these new volvos are such a ripoff, seems like nothing lasts beyond 90-100k miles. thanks.

tech 04-11-2006 10:44 PM

The Link rebuilds them.
If you search on E-bay for Volvo ABS module you will find alot of other that do it as well.
http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htm

99s80 04-12-2006 01:23 PM

rhgibson - I had sent my ABS control module to Victor in CA... and as far as I can tell it is fixed - however the light keeps coming back on...

Tech - Is it true that the ABS control module has to be "reprogrammed" once re-installed? I was under the impression that it ran self-diagnostics once re-installed?

Thanks again! Great Forum!:D

tech 04-12-2006 09:55 PM

No it doesn't need any reprogramming or anything.
You just install it and go.

I would suggest having all the codes in the car pulled and cleared.

Sometimes the CEM (Central Electronic Module) will store the codes there. It will soemtimes cause problems after the car has been fixed.

99s80 04-23-2006 11:25 PM

Tech,

I've had the computer cleared at the dealership and no luck. Victor had suggested testing the Wheel sensors with an Ohm meter. I did that to the best of my ability, and only got readings from three - the right rear would not register.

Any thoughts there? What about a used sensor?

Thanks!
Mike

tech 04-24-2006 12:36 AM

You can try a used sensor. That is weird I have never seen one go bad.
Make sure nothing cut it.

99s80 04-24-2006 11:26 PM

Wouldn't the bad wheel sensors pop a code when the computer is checked? This is what I was told by one of the parts suppliers. I'll take it back to Volvo and ask for a print out...

tech 04-25-2006 12:14 AM

If the light is coming on them there is codes somewhere.
I will bet there is a code for the R/R if it wasn't registering.

99s80 04-26-2006 12:17 AM

Thanks Tech - I've got an appt with the expensive people on Monday - I really like this ride, but I can't just keep dumping $$ in it... I think I'll try to upgrade to a newer model next - perhaps a Turbo S80

tech 04-26-2006 12:30 AM

Let me know how it goes.