Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Won't Start - Let sit about a month (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/wont-start-let-sit-about-month-25561/)

Capo Cam 12-14-2008 05:00 PM

Won't Start - Let sit about a month

I let my 99 S80 sit about a month. No0t thinking properly I didn't disconnect the battery, use my trickle charger or start it up perodically. Long story short it willl crank over but not start up? Almost like it's not firing? I can smell a faint bit of gas fumes. I never pushed on the gas pedal or anything since it is fuel injected I didn't think there would be a need to? I have tried jumping it and I have the trickle charger on it now showing "charging". Any thoughts or ideas would be appriciated. Thanks.

elmo_allen 12-14-2008 07:44 PM

RE: Won't Start - Let sit about a month

I had a similar problem where I left it for 2 weeks. I only started it once or twice, due to a massive head cold. The day I went to take it to the mechanic to replace the tie - rods it did not want to start. It would catch but not fire. LOL At first it was having the white coat syndrome, so I let it sit for a couple of minutes and tried it again... Nothing. Then I started to think well maybe it was the cold because it was 26F when I was trying to start it and it had been really cold that week. So my dad thought that my fule line froze. So we went back inside and waited a half an hour then went back out and at first it did not want to start but then it started. Has it been cold where you live?

Capo Cam 12-15-2008 12:07 PM

Yes, it's been anywhere from 20-50 degrees outside here in Ohio throughout the month it has been sitting. It was about 45 out yestreday and it's probably in the 30's today. Crazy Ohio weather! I have had the trickle charger on it since Saturday night. I tried starting it yesterday morning to no avail. I am going to try again when I get home from work tonight around 8:00 PM EST.

elmo_allen 12-16-2008 02:14 AM

I'm with ya neighbor. Indiana weather is crazy too. We Hoosiers always say "If you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes and it will change." LOL The funny thing is that it is about 85 - 90% accurate. LOL Oh did you check the starter it might be that, but hopefully not. Also check the fuses if you have not done so already. It might be the gas line froze too. Do you have it in a garage or out on the driveway / street?

Capo Cam 12-16-2008 02:52 PM

Hello neighbor. I got it started finally after cranking and cranking. It sat it the garage. Ran great for a day but now Fiance' just called and said the car is shaking and saying "emissions system service required". I'm at work and there is nothing I can do until I get off work? Any ideas? I will plug in the scanner when I get home but not sure if she should be driving it. She is at her dad's right now.