Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S90 & V90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s90-v90-40/)
-   -   2018 S90 T6 AWD Towing Pack 3500# Capacity Option (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s90-v90-40/2018-s90-t6-awd-towing-pack-3500-capacity-option-96815/)

seegekd@gmail.com 06-22-2018 06:17 PM

2018 S90 T6 AWD Towing Pack 3500# Capacity Option

Please help only if you are knowledgeable about the specifics and avoid speculation.

A prior 2017 thread and the 2017 S90 T6 AWD Owners Manual says a Towing Pack option is available for 3500# trailer weight with brakes. None of the three postee/replies could find a satisfactory answer or even knowledgeable Volvo source about this Towing Pack. No-one could figure out how to get the option, other than ordering the parts from Europe as a call to Volvo claimed the Towing Pack is not available in North America. I just call Volvo Owner Support and they do not have a clue. They suggested asking the dealer Service Manager, who may have to inquire with a Volvo Corporate Service Engineer to get a straight answer, which I have requested.

The irony is that a 2017 US News Article of the 9 Best non-truck/SUV vehicles that may tow, listed both the 2017 S90 T6 AWD and S60 as the only sedans with the other 7 being crossovers.. I hope that US News is written in the United States but either the article was based solely on paper numbers from the Owners Manual or they researched a European Model. Earlier articles on 2013 and 2015 models only add a single Porche, BMW and Tesla sedan model in addition to the Volvo S-60, S-80, S-90.

The 2017 versus 2018 S90's longer wheelbase, which increased by 4.7 inches and weight by 45-90#, will reduce sway with the identical engine as the 2017. My local dealer's sales manager says that he does not see why it could not be added to the 2018 and that the Towing Pack may include an anti-sway bar hitch and an engine Software Upgrade to reduce sway. The 2018 S90 also has optional rear air suspension that may help. The 2017 thread says that the V90 cross country, which may have the same frame and engine, has a larger radiator, extra cooling for the transmission, and an electronic flip out tow hitch. In general towing packs may include the aforementioned feature and also beefed up brakes. Maybe we will have to wait until the 4 year/50k mi powertrain warranty expires and add an aftermarket package.

My wife won a 2018 Volvo S90 in the local St. Jude Childrens Hospital charity drawing. Since we want to retire in a couple of years if a Towing Pack may be added, we could pull a small travel trailer, if we can find a 3500# trailer with brakes or retrofitted accordingly. The 2017 quoted Dealers had never even heard of the Towing Pack and asked why you would want to tow with a luxury car, (duh, I want the luxury of a sedan with the capacity to tow more than a popup trailer, and not significantly degrade gas mileage with a crossover, truck or SUV). Then we can decouple the trailer at the RV Park and tour around in style. A couple of humorous comment in the 2017 thread says, "This is murica; nobody tows with sedans. Those wild and crazy Europeans will tow an aircraft carrier with a Yugo and nobody blinks." and when the dealer asked "why would you do that? It's a luxury car! My response, because some guys just gotta fish! They were not amused..". I don't know why US and Asian car manufacturers cannot see the potential "Baby Boomer Opportunity" to sell sedans that tow.

I love that the S90 AWD T5 with turbo-charger, adds a supercharger, which boosts the HP from 250 to 316. I have a 2004 Super-Charged SeaDoo that boost the HP from 165 to 215.

mt6127 06-22-2018 07:19 PM

the Volvo "build your Volvo" web site does not show a "towing package" option. By this I assume you mean the package where you'd get a larger oil cooler/transmission cooler etc. Doesn't seem to be an option for the 2018s... The towing bar itself is an after market accessory - those would be dealer installed or via a third party. About the only option to consider is the premium air suspension. As long as your not going to tow in the mountains or long haul (say enough to get your SeaDoos to the lake or ocean) then you should be ok as is - otherwise see if the dealer would let you trade the car pre-registration for an XC model.

tony1963 06-23-2018 05:49 PM

I would NEVER and I repeat NEVER tow any type of vehicle with a newer vehicle not designed for towing.