Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

New member: V90 vs E-Class Estate Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021 | 07:37 AM
Default First "on the road" sighting

Yesterday - saw a good looking car a bit ahead of me in traffic - got a bit closer - V90 T6 AWD in white.

Still in the ruminating stage - hung up on the apparent Volvo "no service required" position on the Haldex unit - this is contrary to everything written elsewhere on the system and contrary to the recommendations by other marques fitted with the units - e.g. Audi. Based on previous experience, my assumption is that, when faced with an issue, Volvo will either deny it exists, lie about it or deny responsibility. Currently considering only T5 FWD.

Old 07-08-2021 | 06:26 PM
|

Pretorien, perhaps I didn't do the proper amount of research regarding the Haldex system, prior to purchase, but I don't recall seeing much bad press at the time I placed my order. Having driven FWD and AWD cars, my preference is AWD. From my experience, I'm more comfortable driving an AWD vehicle in the snow and the rain.

While I'm not sure of the potential AWD Haldex problems you're most concerned with, one key issue with any AWD system is that it requires all 4 wheels to be the same, both in terms of tread design and tread-ware. If one-of-the-4 tires is damaged, and needs replacement, all 4 tires should be replaced so that the grip is the same on all 4 corners of the car. Many people do not realize this, when they purchase an AWD car.

PS: Although Volvo doesn't recommend preventive maintenance on the Haldex system, thanks to your comments on this matter, I'll probably have this system's oil and oil filter changed at 3 yrs/30K miles, and every additional 3 yrs/30k miles, thereafter. I'm a big believer in preventive maintenance.

Last edited by maggs; 07-08-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2021 | 10:26 PM
Default To change or not to change?

I think you face an interesting decision at the first change depending on timing. If you service @ 30K miles, the car is till under warranty and something goes wrong, Volvo will likely claim that unauthorized service was performed, voiding the warranty. If no service is performed under the same scenario, a likely response will be - sorry, fluids are a routine maintenance item - your responsibility. As an example, at one service I noted that the light on one of the window control buttons on the driver's door panel had gone out. I was told that light bulbs were considered "consumables" and not covered. OK - replace the bulb. Problem...bulb (probably LED) not replaceable - need to replace entire assembly $ X00 part plus big$ labor!! Called Volvo NA customer service arguing that this was an assembly, not a bulb and should be covered like an alternator or ECU etc.- same answer, no help. I finally wrote to a couple of the biggest names on the org chart - eventually received notice that the part would be replaced under "goodwill"

This attitude may not be unique to Volvo but may reflect the state of the industry. My '94 MB E300 wagon had accumulated over $17,000 in repair (repair, not maintenance or routine operating costs) by the time it passed 100K miles. It was traded when I was advised, at 105K, that the transmission needed replacement.

Old 07-09-2021 | 08:44 AM
|

Hi. Regarding "car is till under warranty and something goes wrong, Volvo will likely claim that unauthorized service was performed, voiding the warranty" ... Since I plan to have any work done by the Volvo dealer I purchased it from, I don't see how Volvo Corporate could potentially claim a warranty violation, but I guess anything is possible. This is definitely something to consider when I review this top with the dealer when the time comes. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2021 | 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by maggs
Hi. Regarding "car is till under warranty and something goes wrong, Volvo will likely claim that unauthorized service was performed, voiding the warranty" ... Since I plan to have any work done by the Volvo dealer I purchased it from, I don't see how Volvo Corporate could potentially claim a warranty violation, but I guess anything is possible. This is definitely something to consider when I review this top with the dealer when the time comes. Thanks.
You're probably correct - I'm just having a paranoid episode. It does appear that "Genuine Volvo" service kits - filters, gaskets etc. are available from several sources so one can assume that they have service procedures in place.

An episode (amusing, I think) that may speak to my indifference to AWD: I lived in Louisville, KY 50 yrs ago. Every winter it snowed and every winter the residents were surprised. On one such occasion I looked out of my office window at the essentially empty parking lot. A large truck appeared to be stuck partway into the entrance. A (helper?) was standing next to it, apparently having a heated discussion with the driver and gesturing towards the only other vehicle in the lot, my Austin Healey, sitting in its assigned space at the end of canyon carved in the snow that bore a clear imprint of its underside.

The following users liked this post:
maggs (07-10-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by GRock
Pretorien,

I think it comes down to availability, there just aren't that many V90s around, unless you are willing to place an order for your exact desires at a dealer. I searched for over a month only to come close to the model I wanted, Kind of irritated to spend that much money and not get exactly what I wanted. Didn't want to wait for months only to discover (as Maggs found out) that the dealer mis-ordered the car I wanted, so I searched and found one in Maryland (I'm in VA), and drove there to purchase, the local Volvo dealers were not at all helpful and wanted $1200 to go get the car. So, you may find what you want or close to it, but will likely take some searching to find the one you like. Good luck with your search.
This! The used car market is just nuts now with very little inventory and high prices. I'm so happy I found something when I started to look back in May and that was 2 1/2 hours away anyway (and was a 4,700 mile 2020 demo). According to my wife its my forever car and I will be buried in it. Good thing its a wagon...

I am assuming you guys know that the V90 and V60 (standard, not CC) will not be coming to the states in 2022, even as special orders so ordering new is no longer an option. They officially pulled the plug now so either the few new 2021's left in the country or waiting for the right one to come off lease, etc. will be our only options now.

I do have to admit I've always had a soft spot for rare (reasonably affordable) cars, especially wagons, so I'm glad I bought what I did when I did. Now it will be even rarer!

Pretorien - good luck with the search! I'm a numbers guy too but for me its all about my "desire" for a car. The numbers and stuff mean much less to me than how it looks and drives. The V90 Inscription ticked all the boxes for me. Although, if a bursting blue R-Design was available at the same price point I maybe would have been swayed...

Old 07-15-2021 | 04:19 AM
Default Decisions, decisions

This raises an interesting question - future availability of spares/replacement parts - Don't think the mechanical bits are an issue - I'm certain that the wagon shares essentially all of its oily parts and electronics with its less graceful brethren (with the possible exception of some suspension parts)- but how about sheet metal in case of a crunch?

I've decided to put the T5/T6 FWD vs AWD Haldex concern to rest. For ~ 5% of a probable purchase price, I can extend the "New" or CPO warranty to 10 yr/100,000 miles - let Volvo worry about it! (100,000 over unlimited because I only clock 5-6,000/A)

Old 07-15-2021 | 09:29 AM
|

Considering the rarity of my 2020 V90, my assumption was/is that, in the event of body panel damage that required replacement, my insurer might elect to "total" my car, instead of pay for costly replacement parts. Now, with the demise of the V90 in America, to me this is an even greater likelihood. Not something I'll lose sleep over. Will just enjoy my car.

I recall a saying that went something like ... "If one can't afford the maintenance, one shouldn't buy the car". Perhaps, in our current environment, it should be modified to state that .. "If one can't afford to have the car's body panels replaced and/or the car is totaled by the insurer, one should never buy the car, but lease, instead." I think, more-and-more, that this is becoming true to any car purchase, regardless of brand or model. Although I resisted leasing with my last purchase, I'll probably lease go-forward.

Although my V didn't cost an "exotic" car price, due to its rarity, at least when it comes to exterior/cosmetic repairs, it likely may suffer from exotic car exterior parts replacement cost and availability issues. Other cars are not immune to this phenomena. Here's a link to this topic, referencing Teslas high repair costs.

https://provscons.com/teslas-body-da...xed-reference/

Unknown to many car buyers is the increased use of aluminum for body panels and frames. While this material is lighter than steel, and very strong, its repair due an accident is different than with steel, which leads to increased costs.

https://www.lightmetalage.com/news/i...sive-vehicles/

Old 07-15-2021 | 10:45 AM

Some of the issues in the latter link have been around for a while in a different automotive sphere. The sports/racing cars of the 50's were often skinned in aluminum and while some chassis were typical 2 rail steel or steel tubing, others were complex webs of small diameter steel. The use of exotic fasteners and modern adhesives is new. Form did not always follow function. A friend, owner of a beautiful Ferrari "street" coupe, discovered, after a very minor traffic incident, that the bumpers were chrome plated brass!

Old 07-17-2021 | 03:23 PM
Default Back to the topic:

Spent almost an hour today "up close and personal" with a 2020 T6 Inscription - didn't actually drive it, the car had just arrived at the dealership - an auction buy that was, per the CarFax, a rental car for 11 months, accumulating about 17K miles. I just sat and played with the gadgets. Impressions/observations/conclusions:

The seats are better than my V60 (2015.5, Platinum) The extending bottom cushion front edge provides welcome additional knee support.
The touch screen substitute for mechanical controls is quite acceptable. This was a key point for me. I am not adept at "five finger exercises" - I don't text, tweet, twiddle etc. and the only "App" I use is the one that controls my robot vacuum cleaner.
It is a very, very pretty car. This one was done in a grey metallic - looked like dark silver in the sunlight.
Battery placement in the rear is a good idea even though the spare tire (and that is a + as well) needs to be removed for access. A hot engine compartment is not conducive to battery health!
And that engine compartment is really packed. I suspect most repair protocols start with "remove everything."
It gets a "ding" for 20" wheels.

One sort of off-the-wall "clinker" Per the window sticker, the car features "linear walnut wood" inlays. I am a woodworking hobbyist of long standing and am very familiar with walnut, teak, cherry, oak, ash, maple, rosewood etc. etc. as well as the various finishes for them. The gray objects sported by the car would never have announced themselves to me as "walnut!"

I suspect the dialog went something like this:

Marketing/product planner: "Cars in this class have wood inlays in dash and door caps

Designer/prototype lab: "Okay, We'll see what we can do"

Time passes

Designer/prototype lab returns with a bag of grayish lumps of wood, roughly lozenge shaped with rounded edges: "Where do you want us to stick them?"

It's hard to see any connection with or complementarity to the design and contours of the dash etc.

An R design is on my tasting menu for next week. I am interested to see how the bright metal alternative fits.

Old 07-17-2021 | 03:27 PM

Sounds like the bug has bitten!

Old 07-17-2021 | 05:49 PM
|

Good luck with your search. After test driving the R and Inscription, I will look forward to your seat comfort review. The Inscription's seat comfort sold me on my car.

Old 07-19-2021 | 10:27 AM

For me, a nice wood trim was a bonus and kind of announces that the car is upscale (yeah I know that Honda Accords have wood too...). I like it much more than the aluminum-looking trim on the R-Design, but that's based on my wants/needs. My Inscription has the linear lime wood and I like the way it (better) offsets the black interior. In online photos I agree that the linear walnut is much darker and doesn't "pop".

This is an online photo (not my car) and shows how it breaks up the sea of black (IMO).

As others have said, enjoy the search and good luck!

Old 07-19-2021 | 12:52 PM
Default Year - year variation?

Old 07-19-2021 | 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pretorien
Doh! Mine looks exactly like your picture, only with the black interior. Not sure what vehicle that picture was that I posted but the intent was to show that lighter color wood (haste makes waste!). I went back and checked my window sticker and I have "Linear Walnut Wood Inlays". There are "Dark Walnut Wood Inlays" but that may just be on the CC version of the V90. Not sure.

Old 07-19-2021 | 01:17 PM

That's is the interior of my 2019 CC T6 Inscription. Have grown to love the light color especially in the heat of the summer....

Old 07-19-2021 | 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by GRock
That's is the interior of my 2019 CC T6 Inscription. Have grown to love the light color especially in the heat of the summer....
I love the look of the blond interior (especially the 2-tone steering wheel) but would always be afraid of it showing dirt easily, especially with the grandkids...

Old 07-19-2021 | 01:30 PM

Keeping it clean hasn't been difficult for me, just use a damp rag to wipe off the dirt. It is way cooler to sit on after sitting in the hot sun, especially if you compare to a black interior....

The following users liked this post:
Pop-Pop (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021 | 05:17 PM
|

Regardless of model, I can't say that I dislike any Volvo interior. When I designed my Inscription, the one thing I was careful to do was to order the "sport" steering wheel. It's a bit more padded and came in black. I was a little leery about the light colored leather. While it looked nice, since I planned (plan) to keep my V for a number years, I wanted to stay away from light colored leather.

Old 07-19-2021 | 05:37 PM
|

Post #43 displays my amber leather interior with the black sport steering wheel. As I said, I can't really say any Volvo interior combo is bad.

Quick Reply: New member: V90 vs E-Class Estate Wagon