Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

New member: V90 vs E-Class Estate Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021 | 06:47 AM

Maggs, the amber interior was the color I wanted, the maroon color was my second choice, but alas, non were found in my search in 2019, the blond color was the only choice with the dark blue exterior color I desired. This is the frustration I have with car buying these days, but that is the chance you take if you only shop dealer inventory instead of doing what you did. In retrospect, I should have placed an order for exactly (or as close as I could get with the manufacturer choices) what I wanted. I would've picked the amber interior and the air suspension. I was leery of getting the car in a reasonable timeframe and not trusting my local dealer to get it right, as you found out when you ordered yours. I've ordered cars in the past and had good luck getting what I wanted, but just didn't like the local dealer. I ha d a great experience with Subaru, the sales manager at the local dealership was talking to me about what I wanted and then logged into the Subaru factory order system, turned the monitor and keyboard around and said, "configure it exactly as you want it". I spent about 30 minutes going over all the options, configured it, and hit "order" and got an Outback just the way I wanted. I got updates from Subaru by email as the order was processed, built, and then delivered. I knew as soon as the dealer did when the car would arrive. I would do that again if I wanted another Subaru, which was a great car, just wanted something larger and not an SUV.

Old 07-24-2021 | 05:10 PM
Default Thinking (way, way) outside the box

I sincerely hope that some readers of this forum may find the following sufficiently amusing to have been worth the time to read.

There are several reasons for my dilatory approach to the V90 acquisition process, some of which are related to the dealers recognition that this car is indeed disappearing from our market. This had prompted in some cases what I feel to be unwarranted price moves (quote dealer preparation fees etc.) And lowballing trade-in valuation.

Are there any realistic alternatives? Not many, especially in view of my unwillingness to consider anything remotely SUV – like.. Looking simply at dimensions and a general structure I did find something that I thought was worth a look. Here’s how they stack up:

Data Volvo ????

Wheelbase 115.8" 116.1"
LOA 195.2" 198.8"
Width 75.9" 76.3"
Height 57.2" 56.4"
Power 316HP I4 330 HP V6
Footprint 4127 sq" 4397 sq"

Why the ???? – I thought that I would give you a moment or two to guess what this new contender might be. The most obvious answer is probably incorrect so I will provide a bit of additional guidance – please note that the motive power is a turbocharged V-6 (3 L) not a 4 L V8.

If you would like a few moments more of head scratching, I recommend:

“And Now For Something Completely Different”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AxiATxLofk

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………….. okay, enough of the games. It is not the Audi Avant or any of its family. There are several reasons for this, the foremost being perhaps that I find the Audis simply ugly. To me the frontal aspect looks like something that might have been pulled from the ocean depths. The Avant is overpowered beyond any reasonable routine use and that, combined with its really astounding weight (approaching 2 1/2 tons) affords fuel consumption that would warm the heart of any oil company executive. Finally its overall presentation including absurd 22 inch wheels has far too much of the “boy racer” about it for me.

The numbers above are those of the Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo. Certainly the comparison can be called into question because the Porsche is eye wateringly expensive, requiring only a few inattentive moments on the options list to double the price of the Volvo – but the same applies to the Audi as well. Putting that number aside and looking at capacity functions etc. it occurred to me that the car would fit my needs quite nicely (and a Porsche has been on my “some time” list since I first drove one over 60 years ago)

So I began an Internet search thinking that I might just pop down to my local Porsche dealer and have a look. Hah! It would appear that Volvo is not the only manufacturer suffering from the consequences of the anti-station wagon movement. It soon became clear that, compared to the Porsche, Volvo V90s are in plentiful supply. (The same scarcity is the case with the Audi as well.

I found a late model CPO car for sale within a reasonable daytrip distance and began a discussion via the Internet on specifics. Sorting out the actual configuration of a Porsche can be difficult. To begin with functions that are considered routine on most cars these days will often end up in “packages” at a significant up charge on the Porsche list. This is further compounded by the fact that some items listed as standard equipment on the base model also appear in these packages??. I finally decided that the car in question checked all the right boxes for my musts and wants. And then the shoe dropped – no spare tire. I found this particularly egregious since the ultra low-profile tires fitted (and a different front and rear) are Porsche specific. Further investigation revealed the tires in these sizes are available only as high-performance summer tires and dedicated winter tires – no “all season” option. For me, seasonal tire swaps and the associated storage are simply not on.

Well, it was an interesting investigation while it lasted.

One final note – with the exception of a sophisticated air suspension the Porsche does not better the Volvo in any aspect such as functions, quality of fit and finish, styling etc. On this basis, the Volvo is a real bargain!

Last edited by Pretorien; 07-24-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: format
Old 07-24-2021 | 10:22 PM
|

LOL! Enjoyed your Porsche review. Test drove a Porsche Cayman and found it to be extremely comfortable. Unbelievable leather interior! Wanted to get it until my wife asked where the back seat was. Always wanted a Porsche, but needed an everyday car. Happy wife, happy life.

Totally agree about your wheel and tire comment.

When I bought my V in 2020, I considered it the best value when compared with its MB and Audi competitors, and it looked the best IMO.

As I've said before, I would have purchased the 2020 MB E450 Estate, regardless of its higher cost. Its V6 engine, superior suspension and much larger rear storage area were real pluses. However, I was very disappointed with its poor seat comfort, the use of run flats and the lack of a spare tire.

If I were in the market now for a wagon, my choices would be limited to a 2019 or newer V90 or V60 Inscription, or a 2016 or older MB E Estate. Of course these cars, particularly those in very good condition, are in extremely limited supply.

Old 07-25-2021 | 06:32 AM

Maggs, your analysis is right on, at least in my mind anyway. MB just doesn't get it when it comes to the seats in the E Class. My wife began shifting around in the seat on the first long trip and it just got worse. The suspension is more compliant than the Volvo, but those seats are just hard and unforgiving. many on the MB forums went into great efforts to make the seats more comfortable, but dammit, you shouldn't have to do this in a car as expensive as a Mercedes, just ridiculous! I would, like you have preferred the MB E Class wagon, but even those are now only offered in the "lifted" version here in the US. Yes, I bought the CC, but it is only slightly higher off the ground than the standard V90, and in the Inscription version, doesn't have the ugly plastic fender trim. I also makes it easier to climb in and out of the car in my advancing age! That said, I'd love the Panamera too, but as Pretorian found, you can easily get into stratospheric range price very quickly. If our roads were as smooth as the autobahn (yes, I've been thousands of miles on them over the years) then the larger wheels on the Volvo don't cause your fillings to dislodge and here on our less than ideal road surfaces, the Mercedes I had won the compliance test, if only the seats matched the compliance of the suspension. That said, I'm getting used to the Volvo's ride with the 19" wheels, still debating buying 18" ones and fitting with equivalent circumference tires to provide the compliance boost. As for styling BMW has gotten worse with the ugly huge grills, and I thought Chris Bangle had totally ruined the 7 series years ago, but the new designers have one upped him. No problem for me though, they have nothing that interests me these days, no more wagons from them either. Audis are in the same boat, nothing of interest there either, and bland styling. Well, that is enough from this curmudgeon for now! Pretorian, we watch your search with interest, at least a couple of us anyway!

Old 07-25-2021 | 07:50 AM

Just curious. Have any of you ever driven a Jaguar XF Sportbrake? Also dead here now in the US but very similar to the cars mentioned in dimension, etc. It was on my short list as an option but never did sit in one. I have heard about the poor reliability but never dove any deeper.

Old 07-25-2021 | 08:01 AM

Reliability is the main reason I have stayed away from the Jaguar. The attitude of the dealer I visited is the second reason....

Old 07-25-2021 | 09:10 AM
Default Curious find and an observation

Counter intuitive in a way but if you go up one in the Porsche wheel options - to 275/40 20 and 315/35 20 from 265/45 19 and 295/40 19 both Pirelli and Vredestien offer all-season tires.

Mercedes suspension - while they do have many frailties, the suspension is not among them - 13 years and 180K miles on a 300D, 9 years and 110K on an E300 wagon and 22 years and ? miles on an ML320 SUV (ex-wife's car) - the only time any of those cars saw an alignment rack was a routine check after fitting new tires. No shock, bushing etc. replacement.

Old 07-25-2021 | 09:35 AM

Would actually love to have the Porsche, just not ready to part with the $$$$ for a new one, not comfortable enough to buy a used one, never know what evils lurk in a fairly new used Porsche, could be a real abyss if something has been a problem bad enough for the previous owner to dump it so soon, but that is just my conservative nature I guess. Would also love an older 911 or even a Boxster, if they haven't been abused.

Old 07-25-2021 | 10:20 AM
|

GRock, agree with you about it being easier to get I and out of the CC vs the Inscription. Also, the CC's suspension is more compliant, when compared to my Inscription. After selling my Outback, I really wanted to get it something with a more car-like feel. Once I saw the Inscription, I was hooked on its clean and streamlined looks. While the sloping roof and lower stance, to a degree, compromise practicality, the design instills a passion in me for my V. At my age, it's nice to have a car I love to own and drive, while also having something that can transport tools and supplies from my occasional Home Depot runs.

The following users liked this post:
Pop-Pop (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021 | 10:54 AM

Funny, I also had an Outback, and really liked that car, even if bland in styling, which is a personal preference I know.

Old 07-25-2021 | 12:05 PM
|

I liked the Outback's comfortable seats and it was great in the snow. Plus, it got excellent mpg on regular gas. However, the roofline was too tall for me. In looking for a new car, I vowed that I wouldn't get one that required me to use a ladder to clean. Since it was 10k or so miles from needing a very expensive timing belt replacement job, I opted to sell the car before putting money into it. For the 9 years I owned the Outback, I didn't encounter any major repairs, but was tired of the car. Its exterior was impossible to maintain (i.e., faded paint and rubber/plastic cladding, paper thin body panels that too easily dented, spider cracked paint on the plastic bumpers). For a guy like me, who can take 2 to 3 days to meticulously detail my car, owning the Outback was disheartening.

Old 07-25-2021 | 12:38 PM

I agree with your assessment of the Outback, but it was useful and comfortable. The windshield was also prone to lots of rock chips too, seemed to be a soft glass, but again, just my experience. Subaru sold the Legacy Wagon which would have suited you better, but that option is no longer available either. In any case, I hope the Volvo lasts, I can't even begin to think of another car I'd rather have.

Old 07-25-2021 | 06:17 PM
|

Originally Posted by GRock
The windshield was also prone to lots of rock chips too, seemed to be a soft glass, but again, just my experience.
Yes. I forgot about the awful windshield glass. I think Subaru really cheapened the quality of the Outback's exterior. If they had used better quality material, perhaps I might have considered a new Outback during my last car search.

Old 07-26-2021 | 05:24 AM

I think Subaru is a victim of it success, it has led them to maximize profit in a market willing to pay almost anything to get an Outback.

Old 07-26-2021 | 11:43 AM
Default Alea Iacta Est

"The die is cast" - or, more realistically - "It's a crap shoot"

Another check in the (+) column for the Porsche

By the numbers!

Old 07-26-2021 | 05:30 PM
|

LOL! Except for the psi, my factory ordered 1990 Buick LeSabre had all of the other dials. Special ordered with the full instrument cluster and the heavy duty radiator.

What is old is new again.

Regards, Maggs

PS: IMO, if you're really considering a Porsche, my advice is to also check out the indie shops in your area. From what I understand, even routine maintenance can be expensive.

Old 07-26-2021 | 10:09 PM

Also scrupulously check its history!

Old 07-26-2021 | 11:54 PM
Default Fading

Well, went out for a look - drop dead gorgeous - silver with red interior

Notes:
Seats - very good, about equivalent to my V60, not as good as the V90s
Ingress, Egress - I can fold myself in and get out
Controls - comprehensive but also complex, a bit of a learning curve required
Wheels - 21" !! 35/30 aspect ratio F/R
Tires - Pirelli P7 All Weather - average +/- reviews (Vredesteins available for the 20" wheel option - by all accounts, a better tire
Motor - 2.9L twin turbo 440 HPV6 not the 3.0L 330 HP V6 - More than I need and a fuel consumption hit
Load space - good, rear seats fold, removable cargo cover "under deck" space completely filled with battery and electronics
All the options, automatic everything, LED lights, 360 camera etc. etc.

and the intangibles:

CPO - very marginal compared to Volvo's
Aluminum body panels - great for weight saving but any repairs require finding a body shop experienced with aluminum
Maintenance and repair costs high - perhaps 2X that of the Volvo
Spare tire - 2 days of searching have turned up nothing - a real issue for me since, while my daily use is light, I do take several 4-7 day road trips annually, New England, New York, Midwest and Canada, often to lightly populated areas. The very low aspect ratio tires are, according to reviews, often subject to non-repairable sidewall damage.

And an odd thing that may, at the end of the day, turn out to be decisive:

I decided to look into the process for updating the GPS maps. What I found can be charitably called a dog's breakfast! It would appear that the process is both model and year dependent, the intervals may be as long as 3 years, can require both a (paid) software update as well as purchased DVDs each with only partial US coverage and finally is subject to frequent failure requiring $$$ dealer intervention. I have frequently grumbled about what I consider to be Volvo's Vidas extortion scheme in posts on this site but it is trivial compared to this mess.

My "take away?" Porsche sees their customers not as clients to be courted but as acolytes who should be prepared to pay tribute for the privilege of being allowed to own and drive one of their cars. - Not an attitude I am willing to support.

Old 07-27-2021 | 08:33 AM
|

As I mentioned, I seriously considered purchasing a Porsche Cayman a few years ago. Took a new one on a test drive with my wife to the Poconos. It's true what you said about how Porsche treats its customers, IMO. One thing to fork over premium dollars for the car. However, it's another thing to have Porsche tethered to your wallet after you take ownership. From my research, I found that Porsche offered fairly reliable cars, and there's no doubt that the engineering and quality of materials used for their engines, drive train, suspension and brakes is top-notch ... at least this is how I recall them PRIOR to Volkswagen acquiring Porsche. However, from what I recall, Porsches require above-normal routine maintenance, which is quite costly, particularly if dealer maintained.

Regarding the modern Porsches, there is one very big concern that I have. It is now owned by Volkswagen, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Volkswagen parts in the modern-day Porsches, although I'll leave this to others to confirm since I haven't seriously looked at them lately. From what I know, I believe Volkswagen dumps their parts in Audis, as well. At one point, I considered the purchase of an Audi A8, but was turned off by the Volkswagen relationship.

IMO, if the MB E-Estate's prior 2021 V6 engine, more sophisticated and comfortable suspension, and more up-to-date dash electronics/nav could be placed in my 2020 V90 Inscription, this would be the perfect car.

Old 07-27-2021 | 08:56 AM

I second Maggs comments. The maintenance costs are astronomical, with MB being behind but still high.

Quick Reply: New member: V90 vs E-Class Estate Wagon