Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S90 & V90 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s90-v90-40/)
-   -   New S90 CD Player (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s90-v90-40/new-s90-cd-player-97409/)

lyca 08-13-2018 02:10 PM

New S90 CD Player

My '18 T6 Inscription didn't come with a CD player and I'm told by the dealer that they can't add one. Has anyone installed (or had one installed) the OEM CD player? The factory job that mounts in the center console storage compartment?
I'd like to have more options than the Aux jack for a real CD player. I like Apple Carplay and use it often but still want to have a real CD player.

Pj Blandeburgo 12-09-2018 08:34 AM

There is literally no reason to have a CD player anymore. Tell me why you think otherwise and I will be happy to explain to you why you are wrong

lyca 12-10-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pj Blandeburgo (Post 468298)
There is literally no reason to have a CD player anymore. Tell me why you think otherwise and I will be happy to explain to you why you are wrong

Wow! You're funny.

Pretorien 12-10-2018 08:29 AM

So you would put $$$ into a "name" in-car audio system and then feed it with ultra compressed garbage source material from a phone or streaming service?

GRock 03-26-2019 11:04 AM

While I accept the fact that CD's are going the way of the Dodo bird, I have tried to play ripped CD books on disk and have tried organizing the files such that they should play sequentially but no matter how I organize them, they will not play properly in the my V90. It is very frustrating and I completely understand why the original poster wants a CD player in the car. Any car costing what these cost should include a player if the customer wants one. I've tried to find a CD player that is Bluetooth compatible, but the only ones I've seen state they are not for use in cars. If anyone knows a secret to ripping a book CD to a USB drive and can have it play properly in order without having to look and select the next chapter on the screen, I'd love to hear the way to make this work. I've been successful in playing music ripped from my CD's, but the book disks don't seem to work as expected. Maybe it's me, but I've tried several times to get audio books to play only to get frustrated and having to try to pick the next file to play in sequence is proving to elude me. The time it takes to rip book disks to a USB drive only to have it not play just exacerbates the frustration. It isn't safe to try to select files while driving on the touch screen. Is there anyone here that have solved this?

pony_trekker 03-28-2019 04:01 PM

Agree. Have had a CD player in my last 3 cars and I carried the same Tool Opiate CD as the only CD hoping they'd release a new one.

Originally Posted by Pretorien (Post 468320)
So you would put $$$ into a "name" in-car audio system and then feed it with ultra compressed garbage source material from a phone or streaming service?

The quality on my 9,032 songs on my phone is good enough. And it means I don't have to carry 1,000 CDs. If I really wanted quality, I'd put a turntable in the car.

Kevin Millhollon 06-23-2019 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by pony_trekker (Post 472010)
Agree. Have had a CD player in my last 3 cars and I carried the same Tool Opiate CD as the only CD hoping they'd release a new one.

The quality on my 9,032 songs on my phone is good enough. And it means I don't have to carry 1,000 CDs. If I really wanted quality, I'd put a turntable in the car.

Hahaha! Literally the only reason I am on this thread and upset my car does not have a CD player is because on August 30 that new Tool album drops!

I don't really want my first experience to be in digital format. :(

C8RKH 08-28-2019 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Millhollon (Post 474774)
Hahaha! Literally the only reason I am on this thread and upset my car does not have a CD player is because on August 30 that new Tool album drops!

I don't really want my first experience to be in digital format. :(

Erm. Am I missing something or is a CD not a digital format?

richards90 03-07-2020 01:20 AM

Get a new S90

maggs 03-07-2020 07:48 AM

Ordered a 2020 V90 Inscription estate wagon a few weeks ago. Included the CD player in my build sheet. Glad that Volvo still has this as an option. Also, glad they don't use run-flat tires AND provide a spare tire in the trunk. IMO, sometimes "new" isn't necessarily good. Now, if Volvo would only bring back the 5-cylinder engine, dump the turbo/supercharger setup, square-off the rear roof-line (good old days) and install a larger fuel tank ...