Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Engine idling irractically

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine idling irractically

Hi All,

Can any one help, as it would seem my local dealership are unable to help and if I can't sort this out, it looks like the car is going to the great volvo dealership in the sky.

I have a volvo v40, 2001 reg with 90k on the clock.

The problem started while I was travelling back from Newquay to Portsmouth. Not a great distance. Approx 70 miles from home I started to lose power until the car came to a shuddering stop.No warning lights came onand the car would not respond when the car was revved in neutral.
Having call the AA out, he turned up, fiddled with the MAF,dis-connected it and the car seems to respond when revved( although when idling it felt terrible and the engine management light came on). He advised me that it would be ok to get me home and back to the dealer and it did behave ok.
The vehicle was then booked into the dealer and has been there ever since (one week). The technician has told me the following:-
[ul][*]The ECU is giving no fault codes.[*]When the diagnostic equipment is plugged in, there is a delay of 5 secs reading any measurements.[*]The MAF has been replaced.[*]All wiring checked.[*]All oxygen sensors been checked.[*]The ECU has been replaced.[/ul]
The problem still remains and the technician is stuck for ideas. He has now submitted a report to Volvo for their advise.

The car went in for an oil and filter change 3 days prior to my trip, but this could only be coincidence.

Has any got any ideas or come across this problem.

Thanks Andys