Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v40-19/)
-   -   Used "ECU" (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v40-19/used-%22ecu%22-639/)

gmyoryi 11-13-2004 10:19 PM

Used "ECU"

HI!!
Does anybody know if I can install a used ECU in my 2000 V40 1.9T.
My question is.
Will the car start without any problem?

tech 11-13-2004 11:11 PM

RE: Used "ECU"

The car may start but not run properly.You will need to have software downloaded into it.That is the thing hated the most about the newer Volvo's.What is wrong with yours?will your car not start?What lead you to believe the ecm was bad.

gmyoryi 11-14-2004 02:07 AM

Hi Tech, I bought my V40 with missing ECM & TCM.
I bought a used ECM & TCM for the same model and year, the problem is that when I try to start the engine it will fire up but I loose power to the injectors before I relase my hand from the ignition keys.
Sincerely,
George

cwworth 11-14-2004 11:04 AM

Although fitting a ECM and TCM yourself is a bit like asking a 1st year med student to do a heart and lung transplant, it is possible but don't expect the patient to be running a maraton next week.

I won't attempt the job without at least access to a good voltmeter and an OBD-2 diagnostic tool. I'm assuming that as you bought the car without ECM & TCM then you got it for a real bargin price and a bit of DIY is something you were prepared for.

I had a similar problem with a Rover 800 which required the car to be jump-started the first time the ECU was replaced because the hold-up capacitor which keeps all the 'volatile' settings discharges after about 36hours without a battery connected and therefore the fuel mapping resorts to a base setting which can make the vehicle very difficult to get started.

Unless Tech thinks this is a bad idea try a jump-start or at least check that your battery is in tip-top condition first. If the battery voltage drops below about 10V during the cranking phase then you prob ain't gonint to get it started whatever.

tech 11-14-2004 11:47 AM

You will have to have the car towed to a Volvo dealer and have software downloads done for both control modules.The modules are programed to the car.When you take it to the dealer tell them you bought the control modules new and just need the software installed.If you tell them you bought them used they might not touch the car.You should run great after the software is installed.The software costs about $30.00 each And about 1hr labor.

gmyoryi 11-15-2004 12:47 AM

HI!!!!!!
Thanks Tech & Cwworth for the info and the help.
I will work on the software this week to try to corret the problem, because I already tryed jump-start the car and it didn't work and also try my OBD 2 diagnostic tool. FYI I am european car technician and I did pay a bargin price for the car.
I will keep you posted.:)
Sincerely,
George

gmyoryi 12-07-2004 05:07 AM

Hi Tech.
I just picked-up my V40 from the dealer today. They had to install a new ECM because the one I installed was not able to be downloaded with the software. Therefore, they needed to used a new one.
Now it is running fine.
Thanks for the help!!!!!!
George

tech 12-07-2004 09:51 PM

No problem im glad I could help.