Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

volvo v40 1,8 gdi engine idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile volvo v40 1,8 gdi engine idle problems

Hello everyone i wonder if someone can help me i have a 52 (02) v40 1.8 gdi ,this past few months i have had problems the car starts fine but as soon as i get to the bottom of the road slow down or brake the car cuts out ,it doesnt idle, it just cuts out ,it is driving me mad excuse the pun but i have taken it to garage and spent oodles of pounds replaced ,maf, fan belt ,ignigtion coil pack,drive shaft sensor,today i repl;aced the battery,Th e car drives but as i go to slow down it cuts out,sometimes it wont start so i have to push it to side of road,after while it will start up.But before replacing the drive shaft sensor it cut out whilest driving i just lost all power RAC had to tow me homeBut after replacing all these bits and bobs my car doesnt work properly.The car has has full service too.It isnt driving too well it feels like it is pulling ..........Does anyone have any ideas cos my mechanic is just relacing things he thinks might work..Nothing comes up on the computor sensor thing they screen the car with.Im lost he now want to replace the idle vavle..Any ideas please excuse how ive posted this thread but im new .........many thanks Wendybee

Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GDi engine is prone to coking up a bit unless it's occasionally 'thrashed' - this is because there's only air & recycled crankcase gases passing through the inlet manifold, so there's no fuel to dislodge any particles that can choke up the valves. I'd suggest taking it for a good blast up the motorway (if you're near one) for an hour or so & see if this improves things. If things are serious, you may need to take the head off for a better look.