Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Car sat for a month now reduced engine performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car sat for a month now reduced engine performance

The 2007 V50 T5 had been sitting for a month and I took it out for a drive to the store. Seem sluggish and when I started the car to come home I see the message on the dash -reduced engine performance. What the heck? The car was running perfect when I last drove it. Hit the red button, re-started the car and the message was gone. Car still seems sluggish to me and maybe a good run on the highway will help.

No CEL.

I haven't hooked up my reader to check for any codes that don't light the CEL.

DTC's that are set -
ECM
CEM
DDM
ICM
PDM

The reason it is sitting in the driveway not being driven is because I am thinking of selling it. Of course a problem pops up when ya want to sell a car because for me...it always happens. Why am I thinking of selling the V50 T5? It is not a nice car to work on, parts are expensive and in the three years of ownership, this car has wanted more repairs than any of our cars.

Last edited by urdrwho; 07-22-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Having a mileage number would be of help.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963
Having a mileage number would be of help.
110,950 miles on odo.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:16 PM

On 7-25 I cleaned the MAF, removed battery cable for a while, installed some ethanol treatment and then went for a drive. No reduced performance message. I've been driving it everyday and it seems to like it. No messages since 7-25.

It would be nice to be able to clear the stored DTSC without taking to a dealer. Putting the car up for sale and I'm not into spending $150 to clear some stored code.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

One option stop by Autozone and "rent" a code reader. Most will do for free (you leave a deposit and get it back when you return the unit). Also, many friendly garages will also read codes for free - my indy does. Last choice is to buy a code reader. I have a $39 unit from Harbor that is good for the emission codes. You'd need a $200+ unit if you want to read/clear all the transmission and chassis codes (ie SRS codes).

Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 PM

I'll let you all in on a little secret. Most of these cars have codes in all of the systems These codes are brought on by low battery voltage, intermittent failures and other episodes that have nothing to do with today's driving. As a dealer, I see this all the time.

The art is to read through the codes and see if there is anything relevant to today's issues. When you have access to software that reads all of the modules, you'd be surprised what is in there.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
One option stop by Autozone and "rent" a code reader. Most will do for free (you leave a deposit and get it back when you return the unit). Also, many friendly garages will also read codes for free - my indy does. Last choice is to buy a code reader. I have a $39 unit from Harbor that is good for the emission codes. You'd need a $200+ unit if you want to read/clear all the transmission and chassis codes (ie SRS codes).
I have a $150 reader but these codes are not stored and readable by a code reader. They are probably part of the Vida system

Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Our S60 had DTSC codes stored and that car ran fine.

They are not codes that can be cleared with a code reader or are they?

I'll let you all in on a little secret. Most of these cars have codes in all of the systems These codes are brought on by low battery voltage, intermittent failures and other episodes that have nothing to do with today's driving. As a dealer, I see this all the time.

The art is to read through the codes and see if there is anything relevant to today's issues. When you have access to software that reads all of the modules, you'd be surprised what is in there.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM

Not every code will turn on the check engine light, ABS or air bag light. With the appropriate software, you can walk through all of the modules and typically find codes. That doesn't mean that the car has a problem today or doesn't run right.

For example, you can go into the passenger door module and find codes for communication, etc but everything works fine. A code stored 10 years ago will still be there. Disconnecting the battery cable won't clear them. Only the scan tool can clear those codes.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:31 AM

True.

I guess my $150 scan tool isn't up to power to remove such codes.

Not every code will turn on the check engine light, ABS or air bag light. With the appropriate software, you can walk through all of the modules and typically find codes. That doesn't mean that the car has a problem today or doesn't run right.

For example, you can go into the passenger door module and find codes for communication, etc but everything works fine. A code stored 10 years ago will still be there. Disconnecting the battery cable won't clear them. Only the scan tool can clear those codes.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the oil for a start? Also true on the low battery - sitting for a month will kill one if it's old enough and strain the alternator.

Have you put fresh gas in the car? Might be worth a try adding some Mystery Oil to the gas and oil, the formula is a mystery but I have found it does improve some things.

Could also run Seafoam through the intake system to clean the valves - definitely helps.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine sat untouched for 3 and a half months while I was out of country and I didn't really have any problem with it , but I did change the oile as soon as I came home without starting it

Old 08-06-2018, 05:10 PM

I just wrote an article about the folly of Marvel's Mystery Oil.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 PM

I just wrote an article about the folly of Marvel's Mystery Oil.
And? What is the article about?

Old 08-14-2018, 11:24 AM

The issue was resolved by adding some non-ethanol gas, cleaning the MAF, removing the battery cable for a while and taking the car for a good drive. It is back to normal. I've always believed that cars do not like to sit without being driven.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:45 PM

I don't think that you found your problem. I have had Volvos sit on the storage lot for many months. When ready, we check the battery for a proper charge and hook it up. I've not had a failure of any of the running systems that I was able to attribute to sitting for several months.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 AM

In our area we have had a tropical style summer and the car had been sitting through it. Thirteen inches of rain in two days, big storms multiple times, high outside temps with high humidity and who knows if moisture had been residing someplace. Also the throttle plate is an area that should be cleaned at times and I have not done it. So maybe working that plate, air flowing removed some of that carbon sitting on that plate. Cleaning that thing isn't as easy as say the Subaru engine where the plate sits on the top rear of the engine.

When I owned Jaguars, the people who stored their cars, covered for the winter months very often had issues pop up in the spring. Often due to moisture that was sitting on some electrical point.

Then there is the issue with ethanol and it hygroscopic capabilities. Anyhow for now it is running fine.

I don't think that you found your problem. I have had Volvos sit on the storage lot for many months. When ready, we check the battery for a proper charge and hook it up. I've not had a failure of any of the running systems that I was able to attribute to sitting for several months.