Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Light bulbs laying in tail light unit - not fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Light bulbs laying in tail light unit - not fun

Normally I ride with the radio on but last week I was driving with the radio off. When going slow, I noticed a sound when I would touch the brakes. It was the sound of a bearing going back and forth in a channel. Looked under the car, nothing. Thought maybe it was the license plate cover, removed and nothing.

Tonight I thought I would check the tail light bulbs. Hm? On the right tail light one bulb was missing from the socket. In June when I was prepping the car for inspection I noticed that the same bulb was missing but I know I replaced it.

I stuck my finger into the hole that goes into the tail light lens and there was a bulb, no wait...there were two bulbs. One on the upper right part of the lens and one on the upper left of the lens. So my bulb must have popped out of the holder and it must have happened to the previous owner.

Now maybe there is an easier way. For me I stuck my finger into the right side hole and pushed both bulbs into the left side hole. Not an easy task.

Then I took a rag and shoved it into the right hole, I took my smaller shop vac and applied the nozzle to the left hole. Then I banged on the outside of the lens, enough to make the bulbs bounce around a little. The I heard a swoosh...one bulb down. Did the same thing again and in a bit another swoosh.

Car is now quiet. I need to address the reason why the bulb pops out of the holder because I don't want go through this again.