Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

V50 1.6D Keep Cutting Out

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V50 1.6D Keep Cutting Out

I've got a v50 1.6D (58 reg) that keeps cutting out randomly. The car drives perfectly for around 45 minutes then for some unknown reason the Anti-skid warning light (also shows service required) suddenly comes on and the car cuts out. The car is completely dead for around 5 minutes then starts for a short time then cuts out again. When the car is left for a while it starts and drives perfectly but the cycle starts again.

I have taken the car to 2 garages for engine diagnostics checks without success. The first garage identified a fuel filter fault which they replaced but the car still cut out whilst driving home. The second garage thought the problem could have something to do with the ECU and began to look for a replacement unit. But while the car was in the garage I received a recall notice from Volvo for something to do with a part that caused water to leak into the ECU. I thought great.... Volvo was going to replace the ECU. I explained the problems that I was experiencing and they collected the car.

When the main dealer checked the suspect part they claimed the part had not leaked into the ECU. The part (not the ECU) was changed as a matter of precaution but Volvo refused to change the ECU.

The car drove perfectly from the main dealer (which was around 32 miles from my house) and I thought great the car had been fixed. But as I left the car running for around 4 minutes to check the car guess what? the car cut out again!!! How infuriating!

Has anyone had a similar problem? Can anyone help? Is this problem anything to do with the recall? Is this problem Volvo's responsibility to sort out?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 AM

Hi perci,

My buddy's GF is having the same problem. She drove through a puddle the other day and the car died. Happened once before. Ever find out what was causing this? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:28 AM

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but I had the same issue and could not find the solution. So maybe somebody will find this helpful.

In my case, crankshaft position sensor (top) was loose.
We cleaned the area where a sensor is bolted on and tightened it.
Additionally, I did engine flush before changing the oil.

This fixed problem for me.