Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Volvo v50 t5 bad muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Volvo v50 t5 bad muffler?

Hi, I have a V50 t5 from 2004. There are 3 holes on the muffler where it leaks exhaust gas from them, especially after long drives. When you start the car, exhaust gas is coming out from the end pipes as usual and the muffler seems to be tight but when I drive a longer distance I see that these 3 holes are leaking gas. I have seen other pictures of the same type of muffler and the holes where also there, they don't seem like rust holes and my muffler is dirty but definitely not rusty, not what I can see from the outside anyway and there are no strange noises, the car is quiet and sounds as usual. I was wondering if there is some exhaust gas leakage and the muffler needs to be repaired / replaced or if it is normal for exhaust to come out of these holes when the muffler is kind of hot of if it is releasing any condensation water. I have attached some pictures where you can see where those holes are.
Any suggestion of what that might be?

Thanks in advance

​​​​​​​

Old 03-16-2020, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

do you feel any air coming out of the holes when the engine is running? Does it sound odd (ie puff noises coming out?) Do you smell any exhaust fumes in the cabin?

Personally I think your muffler is normal and there's no issue here. Volvo rear mufflers usually last forever, the weakest part is the flex pipe ahead of the cat. If you don't feel any air coming out, all is normal. and as you suggested, they may just be vent holes for the outer skin.

The following users liked this post:
Vaggelis Vogiatzis (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Received 109 Likes on 105 Posts

That's odd... but I'd say if they're not leaking exhaust and/or making a lot of noise, not to worry. Hey, worst case, get some short screws and plug the holes. Or even one of those "muffler fix in a tube" products would HAVE to be able to take care of something like that (since it would "mushroom out" above the hole when you squeezed it in). I agree - Volvo mufflers should last a long, long time (absent too much salt spray).

Old 03-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Hi and thanks for your answer. No everything is normal. I had only seen smoke through the holes when I drove the car 20 km or more, I left it run in idle and after a while the smoke from
the holes was gone, otherwise, nothing strange, no smells in the cabin and when I start it in the morning nothing is coming out off them. I even poked the hole with a stripe to see if it will go through but the hole was blocked with what it seemed was a metal plate.
Maybe you are right, maybe it is nothing and there is no reason to worry about that. .

Old 03-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Received 109 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm betting that the holes are there to allow moisture to escape from between layers of the muffler body. That would match your symptoms perfectly (the "smoke" being steam that will only start coming out after the muffler warms up, and then stops when the moisture is all boiled off).

Old 03-16-2020, 02:59 PM

Thanks kindly for all the replies. I will pay a visit to the mechanic to change the front discs and pads soon and I will ask him his opinion about the muffler. I will keep the thread updated.