Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Water trapped in bulkhead somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water trapped in bulkhead somewhere

Hi all, I just bought my first Volvo 2 weeks ago and I’m looking for some help regarding a problem with water ingress. My V50 seems to be collecting water somewhere in or around the bulkhead area. It can be heard sloshing about and sounds as if it’s in front of the driver near the steering wheel. I guess it could be anywhere and the sound escaping somewhere else??. My garage has had a preliminary look and has used a borescope on the engine side of the bulkhead and has not found anything yet. They did however make a suggestion that I may have water in air ducting or blower assembly. If there is God knows how it got there…
Is there anyone here who has had similar experiences??
I’m getting quite concerned now as it seems that there may be about a litre of water in there now and I don’t want it to flood the interior or cause any electrical or mechanical damage.
My garage are going to have the car back in and partially strip the lower dash since they’ve found nothing so far on the engine side of the bulkhead. In the meantime I’m desperate for any pearls of wisdom!!
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That must be the Special Edition "Penta Marine" model. Soundtrack plays from hidden speaker to make you think you're on your Volvo-powered boat.

I suspect this has already been looked at, but is there a plugged drain somewhere? Water enters all the time through the firewall intake for HVAC (think rainstorms and car washes) and there are drain ports in every car I've had occasion to look at.

Plugged drain in that area would cause what your garage suggests the problem is -- in the ducting or blower assembly.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll see if can find out where these are and steer my garage towards them first. Might also save labour time if I'm lucky.

Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Did you figure out what the problem was? It would be great if you could share the results with the group! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Default Water collecting in the 2005 V50 interior.

I had (have) a similar problem. The drivers side, front and back floor mats are soaked. It happens often. I brought it in to the dealer and they said that the a/c drain was clogged, and they cleaned it, charging a pretty penny too. About a week later I brought it back because the back drivers side floor mat was practically floating in water- (a bit exaggerated) so they charged another $100 and some dollars and did a water test to check the door seals. It passed the test and no problems there,(except now I'm down about $120) and I am back to where I started from. Please let me know if you find the problem.Thank you. 2005 Volvo V50 2.4i
I need new tires for the 05 v50, any suggestions? The front two wear out quickly-the back 2 still have some tread. Is it better to replace all four together? Any brand suggestions? I am looking for the best all weather tires, Long Island N.Y.

Other Cars:
2009 VOLVO S60 2.5T SE
1998 Mercedes Benz E320

Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 AM

My skin smells of rotting popcorn kernels in the sun, and of butter going rancid. The pallor of dying yellow things hangs over the room and over my face; I almost wonder if you can see me through it.

We light another cigarette, one for each of us these days. You light me off the end of yours and I am breathing deeply as if this could take me somewhere else, looking around in my very best bar-stare at the people around us, similarly callused and affected. I see the casual flicking of their ashes; the cocking of their heavy heads; the cast of slender, ivory hands in blue light. Here is one more spiky-haired goddess with a nose-ring, dressed in a short skirt and bitch-boots, for you, darling. I cannot look at your face or I might seem to be interested in what you are saying, so I am picturing this dark red lipstick smudged across your forehead and **** in your hair instead, trying not to giggle for fear it might make me seem real.

Outside we are dreaming and cussing and groping, your drunken hand making gross circles over my skin and pressing me into a wall with your sad hips that can't get it up for the booze. I thought for a second that you might be as bored as me.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 PM
rog

Possibly the A/C drain is blocked.Any noise when the heater fan is used?Drain is on the right of the heater unit.The carpets are moulded units and to really get access, the front seats need to be removed!.Careful when putting the carpets back as the drain hose can be dislodged

Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 AM

actually water helps to cool the combustion chamber and the meth helps raise the octane and octane is what helps preignition, like on any race engine, any time u increase timing or compression u need high octane gas so u wont get spark knock or preignition, raising boost will also cause preignition and a water meth kit is a cheaper alternative for a street car instead of having to use race gas when boost is raised

water alone is not gonna stop pre ignition when ur boostin 16+ pounds