Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   01 V70 non-turbo front strut replacement / CV boot / axle replacement (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/01-v70-non-turbo-front-strut-replacement-cv-boot-axle-replacement-26020/)

HummerGuy 01-09-2009 04:43 PM

RE: 01 V70 non-turbo front strut replacement / CV boot / axle replacement

ok so as you told me before, i shouldn't even worry about replacing it when i replace the axles?

tech 01-09-2009 04:44 PM

CORRECT!!!! Just be easy around it.

HummerGuy 01-15-2009 07:49 AM

I bought the Strut mounts from FCP. If you look at their site, they talk about how early '01 with Vins in the lower numbers have different mounts then those of the higher VIN numbers. Unfortunately those of us like me who have the higher VIN numbers won't be able to buy OEM strut mounts unless it's from the dealer. All of the ones I found were aftermarket only. I couldn't find any OEM strut mounts for the later VINs.

They have two different shapes to them. One is sort-of squared off and one is rounded off. Be careful if you replace them to get the correct one for your VIN. At least I know I have the later model '01 now.

HummerGuy 01-15-2009 07:52 AM

One other thing; I'm having a REALLY hard time finding the driver's side (short) axle for this car. I already bought an aftermarket new pass. side one. That was a bit hard to find but at least they are available. For some reason, the driver's side one is really hard to find and nobody really makes them. Even FCP can't get it. They only have the XC one but not one for the FWD. I'm doing some searching so hopefully I'll find one today. eBay always has the pass side ones either rebuilt or new aftermarket, but never the driver's side.

I don't know why one is available more then the other. I suppose the pass. side one goes out more because it's longer and there is more demand because of it. I'm just guessing.

HummerGuy 02-14-2009 09:23 PM

Well, I FINALLY did one of the sides today. My friend and I replaced the driver's side strut, spring seat, mount and axle. It was actually pretty easy, but we had to make a tool run. Some things you will definitely need is a 18MM Socket and open end wrench, a 21MM open end wrench, a Torx-50 male socket (you can buy them at ACE hardware) and a couple of smaller torx wrenches for the smaller things. I don't remember the exact ones right now. You will also need a good set of Metric sockets ranging from 12mm to 18mm because there are various nuts that use those sizes in between.

I got the axles from eBay from a place who looks like they are a fairly new supplier. They were brand new aftermarket axles at a great price. They are very high quality. Everything fit together beautifully on that end.

The struts were OEM from FCP (on eBay), the mounts were aftermarket since my VIN doesn't have OEM available anymore and then spring seats were aftermarket as well.

The only part that was tricky was having someone hold the hub up so it doesnt fall too far from the car and pull the brake line. I put another jack underneath it to keep it from pulling on the line while it was loose and the axle was out.

Overall, the driver's side was easy. It's absolutely necessary to have the proper tools going into this project. If you don't, you will spend half the day driving to different tool stores as I did looking for a 21" wrench, which only Sears had. Lowes and Ace didn't sell them, but Ace is the only one that sold Torx male sockets.