Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Turn Signal Issues

Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Issues

Hi all,
I recently had the drivers side turn signal go out on my '01 V70 2.4T. The manual does not list replacement bulbs for the front turn signals, so I used trial and error. I used some car parts websites, or the in store catalogs, but none could give me a bulb that fit right.

I noticed that the keys in the socket are uneven, so I tried an 1157Y, which is pretty much the most common bulb (same as on my 740 GLE). It fit the keys, but was very loose in the socket. The contacts did not connect properly unless I applied pressure, and instead of the second filament in the bulb flashing, the parking light filament would dimmly flash. So, with a pair of pliers and some allen wrenches, my cousin managed to scrape clean, and bend the contacts into an S-shape, which provided more support for the bulb, and kept the contacts separate enough that the correct filaments lit. He also soldered the ground which had become corroded.

Has anyone else had such horrendous trouble replacing a turn signal? I know the 2000 models had a recall of their turn signal bulb sockets. Also, is there a better way to get to these suckers? Long pliers maybe?

Please share your experiences!
Justin

Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Turn Signal Issues

The bulbs are special bulbs.
You need the bulbs with the offset pins.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM

I agree. The bulbs are special. I’ve tried searching on how to replace Volvo turn signal bulbs but there’s none. There are a few regarding other vehicles. Hmmm… I’ll see if I could get one.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 AM

2001 XC70

Can I say been there, done that?

The first issue is someone has the wrong part number in the database that everyone on the Internet seems to share when you try to Google Volvo "turn signal" or "front bulb replacement". Go to Sylvania's site to see they even have it wrong. I just got back from the local Advanced Auto parts store and even the Sylvania store catalog has it wrong. They're all suggesting the replacement should be a 7507. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

You definately need a bulb with the offset or uneven tabs, two filaments and it must be amber. I too have used the 1157A bulb and concur that it doesn't fit well. You can install the bulb into the socket, test the blinker and it works. As soon as you install back into lense, you end up with the rapid blinking. Remove and reset over and over until it's working. Then wait until your wife comes home and complains "It's doing it again"

To make matters worse, access to these bulbs is next to impossible. I actually removed the engine air filter housing assembly today just so I could get my hand to the bulb. I'm in a panic if the passenger side goes as I'll have to remove the washer fluid reservoir and whatever else. [:'(]

/RANT
I've never spent so much time and energy in all my cars replacing bulbs as I have in this car. I've replaced every bulb in the back 2 or 3 times over. The engineer(s) who designed the connector style should be fired. The access panels are great, but there isn't any room for your hands and the angle one needs to have the connector set at before turning to lock into place is almost impossible to achieve. On one bulb, I have to remove the lense cover as it's impossible, due to plastic wearing out, to re-install. It's actually easier to remove the lense cover.
/RANT OVER

Old 11-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One point i gotta mention. If u still got the gray bulb socket u should replace the bulb and the socket all together (the updated version is a brown socket) I've seen the gray ones short out within the socket and can cause more problems later on.. hope this help

Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Just got the "It's doing it again" call. I e-mailed back and forth with Sylvania and they could not tell me the proper bulb and suggested contacting Volvo direct. I asked her if she was serious[]

Thanks for the tip on replacing the socket. I'll try to find a brown one.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Default Found a "FIX" or atleast a work around...

Okay so I had a rapid, fast, quick blinker on the passenger side... thought it was the relay (my V40 uses only one) so that couldn't be the issue... came on this forum and read this thread found enough information to figure out that I have the older GREY plug and looks like someone else tried to "Fix it" after removing the bathroom silicone and cleaning the bumper and fender, I started fiddling around with the plug... I used a small piece of rubber (1mm x 1.5mm x 5mm) and a pair of long nosed pliers to install it and bend the clips tighter. Problem solved the Sylvania bulb fits snug and doesn’t seem to be "shorting out"

Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM

OMG.....I am trying to do my pass side blinker and since I have APE hands instead of hamster hands...I cannot imagine how this is going to work~!
I am taking my needle noses out with me to see if that will work!
and then there's the wrong bulb thing!!!!...WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????

Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 PM

got er done!
The filler tube to the washer tank comes out to make it "easier" to get to!
The pass side socket comes out CLOCK WISE and the driver side is counter clock wise!
The REG bulbs I got from auto-zone fit FINE!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 AM

update: the great bulbs I put in started acting weird and since it was in for the timimg belt I had them put the proper volvo bulbs in and they are perfect! 7.00 installed!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Default Front blinker torture

Oh man, thought I was the only one with the 'it's fixed, hon,' strut, only to be de-roostered in a few days with Return of the Rapid Blinker. The pass side is 'easier', as the wash fluid filler neck simply pulls off after one unscrew. Drive side calls for airbox removal, no biggie (as Volvo work goes). Now I have some dielectric grease and two Sylvania 1157A's; gonna search for that brown plug (I have grey), as I really don't think it is the bulbs...stay posted

Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 AM

i tore up my big hands several times until i got a new socket and bulb for each side from the dealer and they've been perfect ever since!