Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

CEM or not for v70 2004

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEM or not for v70 2004

Hello, boy do I have a problem and need advice. Have a 2004 v70 that we picked up new in G. Sweden and absolutely love the car. Well used to anyway. The problem started about 2 years ago. The car won't start after being driven for about 8 hours after stopping for gas. When it did start the the only thing that would work was the lights and the engine but only in high gear. Had to drive it like that for 1000 miles to reach home. Bought a new battery and it seemed to solve the problem...but only for 6 mos. The same thing happened again. Was in the middle of nowhere and found a mechanic of import cars. He said the battery needed replacing because the one I had was not powerful enough for the car. That fixed the problem until I had to drive the car for a long trip. At the 8 hour mark it all happened again. This time I was near a volvo dealer so I stopped in and they examined it. They saw the problem but couldn't find a cause. They eventually called Volvo service in the sky and was told it needed the CEM replaced. I asked if that was a guaranteed fix and they said no. I asked if it was not guaranteed then was I out $1250 for a new CEM and still had the problem. They saiid yes. OH BOY!!!!!
Wellthe new CEM had to be overnighted and I couldn't wait. They got all the codes fixed and the car was like it didn't have a problem. So I drove it for the next 3 months and then it started again. This time the car would momentarily cut off while driving but would resume after a second or 2. That happened a half doz times. Then it worked okay for a month. Periodically I would get an error message like airbags, left door ajar, coolant low, bulb needing replaced, etc. These would come and go as you started or drove the car.. The next long road trip I made the same thing happened at around the 8 hour mark. The instrument panel shuts down, the ac doesn't work, no turn signals...etc. It only runs in high gear & the lights work. No electric windows...boy. A problem. That's the way it now sits in the garage.
Anybody have a similar experience.
I've been quoted $1250 from several dealers to replace the CEM. I asked if I could use a used part and was told no by a volvo dealer. Anybody know if it really has to have a new part. I see used ones advertised.
Boy, I need help. Any advice welcomed.

Last edited by theflytier; 09-29-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, So your car ran fine from new to sometime in 2009. What trim level is the car? You say you picked it up new in Gothenburg? How many miles did you put on it? The "freaky" occurrence is the weakening batteries and your 8 hour tipping point. I assume all other Ts and Is have been crossed and dotted. If the used CEM (what does that mean exactly?) is cheap enough give it a try. Since it sounds so electric try cleaning every ground cable attachment point you can find. Check to see if anybody leaned, fell or dropped something on a cable and pulled it out or away from its connection. Be certain the cards in the ECM box under the hood are seated securely and have clean contacts. Tell us what you do and learn. Kira