Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   1998 V70 ABS AND TRACS OFF LIGHT ON (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/1998-v70-abs-tracs-off-light-20858/)

dawgcord 06-18-2008 12:03 PM

1998 V70 ABS AND TRACS OFF LIGHT ON

Just bought a 1998 V70 GLT for a great price, I am guessing this is probably why.....

I have done some research and found out that this is most likely an ABS module problem. I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer, feel free to laugh at how ignorant I am about cars!

1) Will my brakes eventually not work if I do not address this? They seem solid, pedal has pressure, is tight, and the brakes engage easily w/o noise.

Basically, do I have to fix this to drive the car safely?

2) I have read that a mechanic will charge $500 - $750 to fix this problem, also that I can remove my module and ship it off somewhere to be rebuilt for $150. Any thoughts on either? Im not that great mechanically, and Im worried Ill mess it up worse if I try to remove it

jay philoon 06-18-2008 12:52 PM

RE: 1998 V70 ABS AND TRACS OFF LIGHT ON

I had Victor Rocha rebuild my ABS unit - very painless. Excellent instructions, so even a novice mechanic can do it. I would recommend going that route - I think it's worth it to have ABS again. Plus, the damn lights are now out.

dawgcord 06-18-2008 02:41 PM

Thanks. Will the car still be driveable after the part is taken out?

johnpoach 06-18-2008 03:06 PM

Yes you still have brakes apparently, but someone said your speedo dont work, I know it seems strange, but thats what i was told. you can drive the car quite safely. I will soon find out i have to do mine as the abs an track lights are on, and the damn service light, but i can sort that one meself?:D

dawgcord 06-18-2008 03:11 PM

Ther service light is on for a spell as well, I just assumed that was a programmed excuse to make people go to a dealer for service. I had a 91 740 a few yrs back and never had a problem when the service light was on

johnpoach 06-18-2008 03:20 PM

Stay on the v70 forum, go to page 4. you will see service light problem there, if you do the service yourself you will have to buy a draper tool 69007 i think it is, also somwhere down there page 4 or 5 or 6. lol it will tell you about the abs tracks lights, have a look there buddy good luck. cheers John.:D

johnpoach 06-18-2008 03:23 PM

By the way i had 5 740s and never had this problem either, i think its only with the newer models 850s and v70s. and its a shame as they are a lush car. John.

JRL 06-18-2008 10:10 PM

Your ABS module can be repaired from $115 to $135 depending on who you use.
Yes you can drive it, you will have no speedo, no odometer, and of course no ABS. Tie wrap a plasticbag around the area that's removed
Victor is good, Module Master has a faster turn around (3 days) and a bit cheaper, both fix the problem for GOOD.
www.modulemaster.com
or
http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

Take your choice

JimKW 06-19-2008 08:18 AM

I used Victor Rocha also and he was great to work with. And yes you can still drive the car while the module is out. I didn't since I have three cars and only two drivers, but you definitely can. Here is a link to Victor's site, tell him Jim sent you:

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htm

Rsterns 07-29-2008 06:42 PM

I own a 98 V70 T5, and I just two days ago sent my module out to Module Master for repair. Instructions were easy, took about 15 minutes to remove the module...don't forget to get your number 5 external torx lock socket (about $4.95). Anyway, I can confirm that without the module the speedometer does NOT work, nor does the odometer. Fortunately my GPS provides speed info, as if I actually drive the limit ;-) Module Master charges $145 for my year, and 5 bucks extra if you want a new set of stainless steel screws to put it back in with.
To your other question, you can drive the car just fine without the module, and if you don't repair it you can drive fine also, you will just not have / or will have intermittent ABS! I put up with mine being intermittent for close to a year. I'm fixing it now because I'm going to be towing the new motor I built up to IPD for them to install. I want ABS if I'm towing a trailer! Here's a few photo's of my build http://rides.webshots.com/album/563883893OGxoym

Good Luck!

acretella 07-29-2008 11:56 PM

I have the ABS Light on, but not the trac light (98 V70 XC). Here's the thing. I bought a reset tool for the service light and followed the instructions. the Service light went off, but the ABS light has been on ever since AND I have no speedo or odometer. My question then is did the Reset tool do something to the ABS Module? Before I tear off the ABS and spend the cash, how can I check to see if its something else? I read Victor's diagnostic info, but my problem doesn't seem to fit. My light came on immediately and the speedo/ odometers stopped working immediately. Is there a way to reset it to see if this corrects it? The fuse looks okay. Any thoughts?

Rsterns 07-30-2008 12:43 AM

I'm no expert by any means, but as far as I know the reset tool only clears error codes from the ECU. My take on it is that your ABS is bad. I had intermittent ABS and Trac lights happening, so now that I need to tow my new motor, I wanted the ABS working ALL the time, so I'm investing the $150 to make sure its fixed correctly instead of trying a do it your self. The issue for me isn't the ability to solder, I'm NASA certified in that area, but without seeing a schematic, and what's under the PWA I'd never touch an iron to one, plus the only test I have is to put it back in the car. Everything I've read says that ifthe ABS light is on, and you can confirm that the wheel sensors are "A OK", then you replace the module. Hope my input helps.

acretella 07-30-2008 12:44 PM

Thanks RSterns. I'll check the wheel sensors, then go from there.

johnpoach 07-30-2008 02:29 PM

Well mine has been checked on a machine 3 times now and the reading came up as (NO FAULT FOUND) so when i asked what does that mean, the garage told me its the ABS unit itself. otherwise apparently when a fault is found, And i repeat is. the part number comes up that you need.I also asked if it is the abs unit, why does the part number not come up for that. He said it does not. Anyone agree with this? Im not going to disagree with this guy as he has actually asked me back three times and not charged me, But he said he can get a new one for 435 pound british, I said i will get back to him, as i know i can get it reconditioned myself. But all in all I think its a shame volvo came up with this mistake on such a lovely car? bleddy ABS lol.[:@]

Flightboss 10-02-2012 05:02 PM

!998 Volvo S70 ABS and Tracs problems

I have just had my ABS module repaired by Victor Rocha and am completely satisfied. His written directions were clear and easy to follow. Living in Canada we occasionally run into problems shipping things across the border to the US, but Victor was well versed in how to handle these potentially problems. This is Victor's web site and it you are havind ABS problems I recommend contacting him.
http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

Don

paulcu 05-29-2018 02:40 PM

WARNING ABOUT USING VICTOR ROCHA!

The ABS unit on my 1998 XC70 AWD was not functioning. I sent it to Victor Rocha in December of 2017, he tested it and told me it was fine in January of 2018, and that he was going to send it back to me. To this day (May 29, 2018)—after sending multiple emails, a letter and voice mails—he still still hasn't returned my ABS unit.

He refuses to call me back, email me, or contact me in any way. I had my mechanic finally reach him by phone and he claimed he didn't know anything about it but would look into it and call him back. That was several weeks ago and he hasn't called my mechanic back, and we try to call Victor again, he sends our calls to voice mail.

I have email documentation of his 'limited' communication with me.