Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

98 V70

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 V70

Ok, I think I am going to take the plunge and kick the Rover. I am looking at a 98 V70 non-turbo that has 85K on it. I think I have an idea of what to look for:

Make sure tranny shifts out well.

Plan on changing timing belt first thing

I am planning on changing out the shocks and brakes, and I am guessing the non-AWD does not have the Nivomat shocks? I have priced slotted rotor kits and they don't seem too bad, but don't think I will spring for the oversize rotors.

I bought my 88 with a blown motor and droppes in a used one, and the car was not very well taken care of. I am used to Volvo's little quirks. I have had lots of fun re-soldering pins in relays for the overdrive and fuel pump. I can troubleshoot anything electrical thanks to the old brick. Really helped when I got my Rover.

With gas rising like it is, I can't keep shelling out for 12 MPG trips to the lake. I am going to park the Rover at the lake house and try out a wagon. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for? Should I hold out for a turbo? I am used to being under-powered with the 780 and the Rover (Brick and Dishwasher).

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Default RE: 98 V70

If I am not mistaken I have seen you over at Landrover forums...I have a '02 Disco II, just traded my '96 Range Rover on a '98 V70. Its FWD, no Turbo. Personally, I think the 5 cyl does just fine without the turbo.

Like you, the first thing I did was get the timing belt changed (changed the tensioner pulley as well as the water pump) and some cosmetic work. Ihave to switch out the ABS moniter yet (got the tracs and abs light, pretty common for these). Other than that, we love it.

I'd take it over both Rovers any day of the week.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM

I've got a non-turbo. Not that I had a choice when I came to adopting it, but I wish I had the turbo. Another thing to possibly plan for is servicing the PCV system, not just changing the flame trap, but swapping out the oil separator as well. The 98 V70 is a great year for the vehicle...basically a mature 850 without the electrical quirks that came with the 99's and up.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 AM

Well, I feel more re-assured that I am getting what I want. The power isn't that big of a concern to me. Like I said, I drove it and it is a lot faster than the Disco, I am really looking for MPG. Nice to know about the PCV system and ABS. Especially changing out the brakes... Should I look at new sensors while I am in there, or is it mostly the controller?

Volvooh- Yeah, that is me....Don't get me wrong, the Rover is staying. Gas is just getting to me. I have a garage that can fit the boat and the truck at the lake, and I think that may be where she finds a new home. We have a great offroad spot by the dam up there and I have plenty of tools to fix her.

Thanks for your input guys..

Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 PM

No problem! Regarding your brakes...if you don't have the ABS/TRACS light showing in your dash, then don't worry about the ABS module, it's working. Just change your brakes as you would any other car.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:15 AM

I have a 98 non turbo and the economy is very good... recent 400km round trip brought the equivalent of around 32mpg with easy cruising around 110kph.

Yes, the acceleration is not quite what you'd get from a turbo but is more than adequate for passing etc.

Love the car (and am living with the electrics like many other V70 owners[&:])