Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pads

My old pads were getting to be low so it was time for new pads. Looked around and decided to go for the PBR's deluxe. Maybe I should've asked around before I got them. Had them installed about a month ago and they haven't stopped squealing since. I've read about having to "seat" them by driving up to 60mph and braking moderately and repeating etc etc. I have done that. (maybe try it again?) It's been around a month now and it's still squealing right before the car comes to a stop while. If I brake hard it won't squeal, just when I'm barely on the pedal like in a parking lot will it squeal. Anyway to rid the squeal besides changing the pads?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: brake pads

I tried after market pads one time on my first Volvo back in the late 80's. Left them on for about 5,000 miles and that was it. Been buying nothing but OEM ever since. Then stop good, don't squeal, but get your wheels dirty and don't last all that long. I can't stand squealing brakes!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Cleaner wheels was one the main reason I went to PBR's. But I guess there's a catch to everything. Is there nothing I can do to make them stop squealing? I'm gettin real close to getting OEM's. [:@]

Old 04-12-2006, 10:27 PM
reg

Remove the pads and spray the backs of them with some CRC Disc Brake Quiet. I never ever use factory brakes as they are made to a cost factor and are always inferior to aftermarket. PBR's are generally made in Australia and are most excellent although a bit harsh on rotors at times. If you are going to do the rear brakes on your Volvo, it is imperative to install the shims that came off from the "old" pads. Spray the backs of the new pads with CRC. Incidently, I have yet to have a squeal from my after market pads on both fronts and rears of my c70. I changed pads soon after purchasing the vehicle. I want to be able to stop with no fade.........that is something the factory pads would not allow me to do!
REG

Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternately, I've used some kind of glop like substance on the back of my apds and all squeaking stopped. Stuff is sort of thick and orange colored cures up to a rubbery feel. Worked wonders on one of my other cars.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:01 PM
reg

That will work along with silicone grease. After a bunch of years I have stuck with CRC and a can will last you a long long time!!!
Reg

Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 PM

Do you think the sound might be coming from the actual contact from the pad to disc? I understand putting goop/ glob/compound on the back of the pads (and there's plenty on there) but you think squealing can come from disc and pad rubbing together?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Where the Pads meet the rotors are the Pads Flat all the way across?
Or are they cut on a angle on the sides?

Old 04-14-2006, 04:18 PM

I believe they are flat all the way across, same for front and rear.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

I will bet it is the Pads.
Volvo's hate aftermarket pads that are flat all the way across.
The Fronts have the sides cut/angled. The rears are the same way that cuts down on the squeeling.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:02 PM

How does the pads being angled/cut help with squealing?

Old 04-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Administrator

It is hard to explain but it does. Flat on Flat doesn't work good on Volvo's.
Something about the Flat edge all the way around makes it squeel.
I have tried to cut them in the past but if you don't have them exact on both sides the car will pull while braking.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with the Akebono ceramic pads?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 PM

I've never tried those brand pads. I did however see a pic of those and they are angled/cut. Pretorein, do you have those on your car? Also, aren't the stock pads flat also?

Old 04-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No, I have not fitted them. I was looking for alternatives to the stock pads for a car that I am collecting tomorrow. I drove Merecedes for many years and my wife still does. They produce volumes of (apparently corrosive) black dust that coats the wheels within a few miles. In between my last Mercedes and the Volvo, I have been driving a Toyota Sequoia - big vehicle, good brakes, no dust. It seems that the Japanese know something about brake pad formulation that the Europeans have yet to learn so I was looking at alternatives to the stock pads which, I gather, are heavy dust producers.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:12 PM
reg

NAPA sells a ceramic pad for your auto and they are very nice and no squeal............use CRC on the backs.
R.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:52 AM

My last ditch effort has failed. I'm getting different pads. My front disc were actually alittle glazed so had them resurfaced. Still squealing. I'm thinking of getting OEM pads from dealer or something else? If I don't get factory pads I might be looking into getting the cut/angle pads as mentioned by Tech. Anyone with experience with those? I think I've beat this thread to death...

Old 04-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Administrator
Old 07-08-2006, 06:35 PM

This is an update in case it's useful for someone else. I changed the front pads and I still had squealing. The clip/spring for the fronts were a p.i.t.a. Anyway, turns out my squealing were from the rears. It's really hard to tell when driving with your windows down. Helps to have someone outside the car listen. Put on new shims from with plenty lube and it worked. The place I took the car to get the brakes done apparently didn't put enough or ANY lube on the shims! Really can't trust anyone but yourself to do the job. It was just basically details that made the difference.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you got it quieted down. I always do my own brakes. That's the one thing I am really comfortable doing. Thanks for coming back and telling what fixed it. That could help somebody else searching for how to stop brake squealing. I wish everybody would follow up on what they did and if it worked.

Quick Reply: brake pads