Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

To buy or not to buy......

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy......

Hello,

My first post here.

I'm currently looking at a used volvo purchase. Specifically a 2.4L non-turbo 2002 V70 with 100k miles.
The car is currently sitting on a small used volvo car lot (like 15~20 cars all about 5 years old or older).

The owner of the lot and I took a ride to a 3rd party mechanic. No check engine lights or warnings were on the dash and from the passenger seat the car seemed to be OK, but I wasn't driving.

The mechanic seemed unenthusiastic about the long term viability of the car due to what appeared to be very little in the way of servicing or maintenance. He commented on sludge buildup in the motor and thought it was due to infrequent oil changes.

Then the mechanic downloaded the following DTC information

ABS 0041 R/R wheel speed sensor
ABS 0031 L/R wheel speed sensor
ABS 0021 R/F wheel speed sensor
ABS 0012 L/F faulty signal
ABS 0011 R/F faulty signal

Audio 46FF CD changer comm problems
41FF sub antenna signal missing

CEM 6A03 rear left door lock signal too low
CEM 8F2d windscreen wiper signal
CEM 8F2E windscreen wiper signal
CEM 6A04 rear right door locked
CEM 6A01 rear left door unlocked
CEM 6A02 rear right door unlocked
CEM 6C46 antenna ring internal fault
CEM 8F21 windscreen wiper fault
CEM 1C02 L signal too low

DDM 0039 child proof lock stuck in an active position

ECM 640A camshaft reset valve fault signal

UEM 0004 Siren communication fault

NOTE: The mechanic said he could not clear any of the CEM codes.

Are all these codes due to the car potentially sitting for a while on a used lot somewhere (perhaps with a dead battery???) or is there actually serious problems with this car?

On the plus side he said the car must be a good runner......and then added.... because from the condition it hasn't seen much in the way of service.

So I'm looking at a timing belt change (and water pump while they're there) for about $700
And an inner tie rod for about $250

Oh and it has a white label original magnetti marelli ETM. Do you have to have your car break down before you get a "free" replacement (the used car sales guy kept telling me it would be covered if it broke) ....or do you just call XeMODex and add another $500 or $600 to the cost up front?

The only reason I'm even considering this car is that it's a 5 speed manual, which is what I want. Unfortunately they are pretty darn scarce, and normally not seen in the sub 10k range.

He wanted around 8 grand for the car.......should I offer 6k or just walk?

About 20 something years ago I had a 4 speed 145 from 1974 and it was an interesting car to work on (leaded gas and fuel injection) but these new little electrical demons are making me nervous about this car.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 PM

1.) You should drive it yourself.
2.) How are you on doing your own maint?
3.) Unless I live in cheap Volvo central (Minneapolis) thats a lot to ask for the car. I picked up a 2002 V70 T5 71k miles in December for $8250. Car came with full service history since new. It was private party sale, however I saw comparable vehicles for only $500-$1000 more and they were auction buys by small dealers.

With no service records, and the oil sludge issue I would assume that items such as the transmission fluid, clutch, and coolant were also neglected. Do all the tires match?

A volvo will run like a champ even when neglected for 100-120k, but if you don't keep up with them they will go downhill FAST.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I think you're right, he is asking too much, considering I'd have to immediately dump $$$$$$ into the vehicle for a timing belt and tie rod. The magnetti marelli ETM is just another $$$$$$$$ time bomb.

And the past history is a mystery (other than evidence of no service). The tires are (no name) snows on steel rims, so figure more $$$$$$ for all season or summer tires.

In the process of writing the first message I began to realize this is a car to walk away from.

So I think I'll save myself some headaches and pass on this one.

But what about those DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), are they present in every Volvo over a few years old, or are they a real source of trouble? I'm still searching for another V70 and want to know if this is a deal breaker or just phantoms in the hardware.