Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Cat Converter Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Converter Help

I have a 1998 v70 wagon XC AWD and I need to replace the cat converter. My mechanic tells me it's all one piece with the exhaust manifold. Does anybody have a link to one that I could buy online or simply to get an idea of what I need? Many thanks.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM

I got my converter from this site which is the public sales site for Davico Catalytic Converters.Their customer service was awesome and very helpful.

Catalytic Converter Store :- DMI

Here is the link also to Davico's site.

DAVICO MFG.

From my knowledge only the 01 - 02 V70 and S60 non-turbo's have the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter as one piece. On your 98 XCV70 it is part of the down pipe that attaches to the exhaust manifold.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks for your response. My mechanic was surprised to find that it looks like the cat converter is part of one single piece running from the down pipe all the way back to the muffler. He showed it to me and his assessment looks correct. Can this be? Replacing the cat now appears to be a monumental task. Any advice?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 PM

Your mechanic is probably not a Volvo mechanic!

This is the sequence from Front ---> Rear.

Exhaust Manifold (including Flex Pipe) ---> Catalytic ---> Muffler.

Look up the diagram at:
eEuroparts - Search Results

I just changed my Exhaust Manifold (including Flex Pipe) myself using Volvo OEM part and posted the DIY here:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=40032

PS: If you change the Catalytic, a couple things to consider:
1. If you plan to keep the car for a long time then do your search. Davico apparently has problems.
I have used "DEC" brand in my BMW, very good brand but it is on the expensive side.
Here is a thread I started on the catalytic:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=39611

2. Chances are the Exhaust Manifold Flex Pipe breaks by now (usually gone by 110K or so). Replace that too. Options:
a. "OBX" brand: unknown history, maybe good maybe not. The Honda people seem to have issues.
b. Volvo OEM is $360 + gaskets = $410.
Call "Waltrip Volvo" in Franklin TN for prices. Speak to Don Snyder, he is very good.

Last edited by cn90; 06-20-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM

I also had to replace my flex pipe due to it being broken. I found that Walker exhausts make a aftermarket down pipe for the 01 V70 non-turbos and was able to get it thru a local mom and pops parts shop here in Charlotte.

I did the research and ordered a DEC converter but when I received it I noticed it was considerably smaller than the stock one and after taking the protective covers off the ends the honeycomb matrix fell out in chunks. Another think I noticed was that none of the factory heat shields would line up to mount onto the converter. I contacted DEC and after a bit of a hassle they finally sent me a new one. The second one I recieved had the same issue with the heat shields but I figured I would install it anyways and make some heat shields. Well after driving the car about 50 miles the honeycomb matrix fell apart in the second one. I sent that one back to DEC and after 3 weeks got a refund.

Here's a picture of the stock converter and the DEC.

Name:  newandoldconverter.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  36.5 KB

There was a night and day difference in the build quality between the DEC and the Davico converters. Plus all of the factory heat shields lined up perfectly. I've been running it in my V70 for a few months now with no issues at all.

I didn't take a picture of the the Davico one before I but it looks just like the one from their site.