Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   dealer has a 2001 V70 w 180k. should i consider? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/dealer-has-2001-v70-w-180k-should-i-consider-33403/)

onnoff7 08-13-2009 10:30 PM

dealer has a 2001 V70 w 180k. should i consider?

Hi
Im in the market for a car and came upon this deal.
2001 volvo v70 w 180k. $4000
it comes with a 100k mile warranty for engine and transmission.
is this worth considering, if so what should i look for?

onnoff7 08-13-2009 10:32 PM

Theres a private seller with same vehicle at 100k for $3500.

checksix 08-14-2009 10:18 PM

Check the wording of the warrenty carefully. Generally the 100K warrenty is to when the car reaches 100K. If it has 80K on it now, then it's only a 20K warrenty. If it has an additional 100K warrenty at that price, yes I'd say go for it!

Jerry

Volky_one 08-15-2009 08:52 AM

If that is what the dealer means, I think it is worth to have it and ride it till it gets 280K knowing that you'll not have to wory about engine and transmission befor 280K miles. The private seller sell for $3500 and no waranty even though the car has only 100K miles, my car tranny broken at 167K no warant, all on my own now fixing.

malaka 08-15-2009 05:45 PM

Before you buy this high miles trouble-prone model, do 2 things, or maybe 3.

First, ask the dealer for a CarFaX. Not foolproof, but it can help.

Second, ask for service history. If a Volvo dealer, they'll have it, or can get it at least if the car was dealer serviced.

Third, insist on a copy of the warranty to study outside of the dealership. What's the deductible? Co-pay? Limitations? Is it one where you pay for the repair and get into a fight with the warranty company which will claim the amount you paid was 50% too much? Do they insist on send their claim agent out (via slow boat from China) to inspect major repairs as a precondition to payment? Finally, while not foolproof, do a Better Business Bureau search on the company that stands behind the warranty.

Some used car dealer warranties are sales tools, sort of like homeowner warranties beloved of real estate salespeople. They're mostly worthless.

onnoff7 08-16-2009 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Volky_one (Post 176407)
If that is what the dealer means, I think it is worth to have it and ride it till it gets 280K knowing that you'll not have to wory about engine and transmission befor 280K miles. The private seller sell for $3500 and no waranty even though the car has only 100K miles, my car tranny broken at 167K no warant, all on my own now fixing.

Yes thats one of the reasons i was looking at this. but dont have the exact terms of warranty.

onnoff7 08-16-2009 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by malaka (Post 176446)
Before you buy this high miles trouble-prone model, do 2 things, or maybe 3.

First, ask the dealer for a CarFaX. Not foolproof, but it can help.

Second, ask for service history. If a Volvo dealer, they'll have it, or can get it at least if the car was dealer serviced.

Third, insist on a copy of the warranty to study outside of the dealership. What's the deductible? Co-pay? Limitations? Is it one where you pay for the repair and get into a fight with the warranty company which will claim the amount you paid was 50% too much? Do they insist on send their claim agent out (via slow boat from China) to inspect major repairs as a precondition to payment? Finally, while not foolproof, do a Better Business Bureau search on the company that stands behind the warranty.

Some used car dealer warranties are sales tools, sort of like homeowner warranties beloved of real estate salespeople. They're mostly worthless.

No Carfax.
No service records.

I might test drive this tomorrow and ask some more questions esp on the warranty

usually if the timing belt has been changed its noted on the timing diagram correct?

onnoff7 08-18-2009 12:58 AM

So i went for a test drive and got a clean carfax.
Runs smooth i can feel it shift into 2nd and 3rd(seems normal but ive never driven a volvo so not sure if it could be a problem)
Ac is cold but for some reason it dint feel like the car was getting cooler, aprox 10 mins. (It was 95 degrees today and a wgon might take looonger to cool down)
And a main concrn is that it makes this buzzing / tick tick noise after i shut the engine off. Goes on for about a minute and goes away. Dont know if its normal?

I was unsure about the car and they offered a 3 month 4.5k mile warranty on top of the 100k engine and trans.
Still told them id think about it.

LPG Karl 08-19-2009 04:58 AM

I'd want to know if has already had the following fixed.
Auto
Power Booster
Throttle body

if so when.

With that number of miles on it I'd be taking it to a Volvo mechanic for a full report.

My 98 R was basically a hole in the ground for money from 140K miles and up.

sorry.......

Karl