Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Intermittant electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittant electrical gremlin

Help

I've got a 2008 V70 that has an electrical gremlin resulting in an intermittant dinging. The info center simply displays "ignition on" regardless of whether the key fob is inserted into the receptacle or not. Once the dinging begins, the only way to get it to stop is to leave the car alone for 10-15min. If we start the car, the dinging continues indefinately, and the car continues to display the message "ignition on".

As I've written, this is an intermittant issue, but seems to occur ~1/week. When can't get it to replicate on demand but seems to occur when we are loading and unloading the vehicle. If the liftgate is open for an extended amount of time, like unloading grocceries or luggage, when we close the door, dinging.

Other instances - I got a speeding ticket and while waiting for the officer to do his thing, I had the engine off, key in the recpticle, and accesseries on. When I started the car, the dinging began and continued the duration of our trip.

Most recently, I had the windows down, car fully unlocked and was loading luggage in the rear as well as the rear seat, being mindfull no to leave any door open for extended periods as to avoid the dreaded dinging. When I was finished I locked the car with the fob and the dinging began.

The only way I've found to stop the dinging is to simply walk away and let it sit for 10-15min.

Since we've not been able to replicate for the dealer, they haven't been able to fix.

Any thoughts.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While i am not familiar with late model V70s, i am familiar with auto electrical systems in general. I am assuming this "Ignition On" warning means the electronic monitoring system thinks the key is still in the ignition when you shut the door so it is trying to warn you, "Hey buddy, don't forget your key!", but it's doing this even when the key is NOT in the ignition; right?

So if that's the case, the problem has to be in the ignition lock/switch area.

In any case, this car is under warranty, correct? Is the dealer not believing you that the car has a problem? Make a video of it next time it happens and email it to the service manager so you have proof. Bottom line it's their problem to figure out what it is and fix it. Make them do it!