Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Issue with rear turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011 | 01:19 PM
|
Default Issue with rear turn signal

Hi. 2001 v70 at issue here. My driver's side rear turn signal wasn't working, so I changed the bulb. It turns out that the plastic housing is partially melted. I am now unable to get the socket snugly fitted into the housing, and the turn signal does not work.

I was thinking of trying to remove the lens cover (assuming that's the right phrase -- the colored plastic exterior of the brake light/turn signal lights). If opened, I could clean the contacts on the body that the socket meets, then I could snugly fit in the socket. I did clean the contacts on the socket and apply dielectric grease already.

Is this a good idea? Looking at the lens cover, I'm not even sure how to remove it. I do not want to buy a new panel for all those lights -- I'm poor!

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2011 | 06:55 AM
Default thoughts..

Hello, You have the socket out and it does not work or fit properly. You say it's warped (partially melted). To me it sounds like you have nothing to lose by attempting to carefully and cleanly cut your way into it. You just have to commit yourself to doing a real square job and seal it back up cleanly. Exactly where and how you cut it will dictate how well and inconspicuously you can silicone it back together. If I have an accurate picture of what you're proposing I'd guess that a "Dremel" tool with a round saw blade will provide the best cuts whether they're at seams or elsewhere. If you need to cut across a visible area you can always run a matching bead of sealer on the other side. How the automobile inspectors in your neck of the woods will regard a repair to a stop/tail/directional light remains to be seen. Lights and lenses are expensive, even at junk yards. Being a "poor" Volvo owner is difficult sometimes. Kira