Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

looking for a little help finding an AWD wagon, what to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a little help finding an AWD wagon, what to avoid?

Hey everyone,

i apologize for the n00b question, but i'm new to the volvo world. I had some wonderful news a few months ago and my wife is pregnant with our first child! we are looking for a wagon to be a 4th vehicle (we have 2 jeep wranglers and my truck, none of which haul the dogs and car seats comfortably)

we're looking in the ~5000 dollar range. higher mileage is fine (under 150 ideally) since really this will just be used for occasional family outings and to run 90 miles back and forth to conneaute lake from Pittsburgh a few times a year.

i've been finding lots of 99-01 AWD V70 and XC's in my price range on craigslist... i've also been finding a lot of AWD wagons with blown transmissions or tranny problems which is a concern. I've also heard grumblings of heater control issues.

I did a search but didn't find an exact answer to my question. If anyone has any suggestions on what years i should avoid or look for, and what i should check i would greatly appreciate it.

I've contemplated buying one with a blown trans and tossing one in from car-part .com but am leaning more to paying a few grand more for a running/driving one.

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What do you need?

Hello, 1) If you don't need 4WD then don't get it. 4WD applications involve a saddle style gas tank which adds undue complexity to many a FPR and rear suspension job. If you do, get the newer system. Your gas mileage will suffer and you may need to have closely matched tires. I'd get a 5th wheel and do 5 tire rotations just in case I lost one. Someone correct me; Wouldn't that put Mr. Pittsburgh in a 2004 or later? 2) Turbo or no? Maintenance records are a must for an old Volvo, or any other used car really. 2WD, non-turbo would GREATLY simplify your search and improve gas mileage. 3) -1998s are simpler vehicles and have the rugged 4 speed trans. 1999-2001 are more computerized and get rapped unnecessarily but still have the 4 speed. Repairing a 4 speed is fairly priced. Repairing the 5 speed is psyco expensive-$3,500 to >$5,000. 4) New dad? Congrats!! Simplify your life. Don't try to live above your means. The fact that you want to keep it at or near $5,000 speaks volumes. If you're a hands on 'Jeep guy' then get an 850 wagon or early V70 to get your feet wet. I've seen some pretty 1997 850s to 2001 V70s wagons-in your price range. Kira

Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the reply.

what's less desireable about the older AWD systems? I'm fine with the 4 speed non turbo but the wife says AWD is a must. After the snow today i tend to agree with her. even with the lesser gas mileage it will STILL be better than my truck and her wrangler. and i'm not buying this as a performance or fun vehicle. we have those already . this is just because when we looked at buying a minivan, we both looked at each other and said "well i'm not driving it" lol.

we can also spend more than 5,000 if we need to, but really this is a 4th vehicle that will only be occasionally driven. I was originally looking for a beater subaru but she wanted something nicer and really likes the volvo's. I like them too i just want to do my research first. I don't want another car payment. Her 07 wrangler is about 3,000 away from being paid off and my 2010 tundra is about 10,000 away. I'd like to be car payment free when her grad loan payments kick in. So we plan on paying cash for the volvo.

here's her daily driver (she calls it her urban assault vehicle, sorry it's so dirty)

Name:  2010-12-07_23-13-24_644.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  50.1 KB

lifted up on 35's its going to be difficult to get a rear facing child seat in the back of that but she doesn't want to get rid of it because she uses it to park in the city. (she asked me to make it bigger so she could hit curbs and go over snow mounds from the plows and stuff, so i did )

i put a cap on my truck but she doesn't really like driving it. it's pretty big... and any money i spend on this 4th vehicle takes directly from my toy fund... and that's no fun. I'd rather have an older, higher mileage, less expensive volvo and toys than a brand new one and have to ditch a few toys.

i can't get rid of my truck because it hauls said toys...

Name:  ce65f67e.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  263288e9.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  91.6 KB

If you or anyone could let me know if there's any "common problem areas" i should check on the vehicles i look at i'd greatly appreciate it

Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Hello Again, Go here: http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/volvo/...r_rebuild.html If you find a "good one" change the fluid. If you buy/run an old one you DEFINATELY need matched tires. Get a matching 5th wheel and do "5 tire" rotations. Kira

Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM

so how exactly do you check? should i be feeling/listening for a clunk, or binding, or what?

any other trouble spots for these years? someone said something about climate controls being an issue.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 AM

Hello, I drove an XC during a good snowfall and could hear a constant grinding/rumbling which should not have been there. I never looked at another 4WD. I suppose binding in a turn would be a red flag. Maybe raising the rear tires and letting her idle in drive would be enough test.
Regarding the climate controls: At this age the heater cores can go bad. There are posts on replacing them. The only thing I know about ACC is that I've seen the temperature sensor offered as a stocked, catalog part-just like the core-therefore they must go bad too. Kira