Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   Programming Key (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/programming-key-52631/)

osage 04-15-2011 02:54 PM

Programming Key

A locksmith said they can program. However, the info I posted below says says you can program it yourself IF you have a built in security system in your vehicle. Does this make sense?

I understand that only a Dealer can program it...but can't a locksmith who has the scanner also do it?

Here's the info I found on manually programming the remote:

Volvo V70 Key Fob Remote. This key fab will need to be programmed. If you have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle, you will be able to manually program this remote. If you do not have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle then you will have to take this to the dealer for programming. To manually program this remote, ensure that all doors, hood, and trunk are closed. Insert key into ignition, turn key to position #2 and back to off at least 5 times in ten seconds. The LED indicator should start to flash, leave ignition on. Once indicator starts you have 15 seconds to program remote. Press the lock button on the remote. The indicator LED lighting for about 2 seconds acknowledges the programming.

SVTfocusO3 04-15-2011 09:58 PM

year???????????

osage 04-16-2011 09:27 AM

It's a '99 GLT

checksix 04-18-2011 12:09 AM

I have a 2001 V70 T5a and a non-functional remote (good remote, but lost code). What I'm not sure is if I have the security system. I have an LED that flashes, but have never had the alarm activate. I'll try to remember to do this tomorrow and post the results.

Jerry

osage 04-18-2011 12:36 PM

Web site with the DYI setting of remote key:

Volvo V70 Key Fob Remote (1998-2000)

osage 04-18-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by checksix (Post 267075)
I have a 2001 V70 T5a and a non-functional remote (good remote, but lost code). What I'm not sure is if I have the security system. I have an LED that flashes, but have never had the alarm activate. I'll try to remember to do this tomorrow and post the results.

Jerry

Jerry, according to the website, the manual setting is only for Volvos up to 2000:

Volvo V70 Key Fob Remote (1998-2000)

checksix 04-18-2011 09:33 PM

Osage,

Thanks for the info. I was going to try this tonight, but got cold feet, as I was afraid the car would program to the remote instead of the other way around, and the 2 FOBs I have that are functional, then wouldn't work! I.e. 1 step forward but 2 BACKWARDS!!!

Sure sounded interesting!

Jerry

akb1274 08-05-2014 01:16 PM

Dealer (or someone else with software) must service it

Hey all,

I found this thread and wanted to post a follow-up reply:

The instructions posted by osage for programming a Volvo key FOB do not work for any of the Volvo cars (with the exception of the S90) manufactured from 1998 - present. This does include the S/V/C70 from that period. The instructions DO work and are very useful for the 850/960 (and the S90) models that were created before the 1998 model year. A key FOB from 1998 - present requires either a dealer's programming or a shop that has the software able to interface with the car. It is true that a locksmith can do this as well but in my experience with locksmiths, very few actually have the required software able to interface with a Volvo. Apparently, downloading the software is rather cost prohibitive for them and most aren't willing to purchase it unless they service Volvo's regularly enough to justify the cost. All in all, best bet is to take it in to a Volvo dealer as you can be assured that they have the software able to work with your specific model. Lastly, in order for a FOB to work properly with your car, your car must be equipped with a Volvo security system. Most of them came with it.

*The 1998 S/V/C 70's are a little bit of a special case - apparently, these do not typically require any actual software download to the car to make the FOB work. However, these cars still have to go in to a dealer or to a locksmith in order to get the FOB correctly interfaced with the car. Manual programming is not possible but since no software is required to download by the dealer, cars from this model year cost less to program at a dealership. You'll still pay whatever their labor rate is, you just won't have to pay for the additional software download fee, which can be hefty. In my own experience, the cost was something like, $53.25 as long as you have your own FOB. The dealer can order and program a FOB for you, but if you own a 1998 S/V/C70, your better bet is getting a FOB off of eBay and bringing it in. It will save you a significant amount of cash. Hope this helps!

osage 08-06-2014 12:35 PM

Thanks for this!

SKenneyGirl 04-17-2015 05:16 PM

Run it to a Volvo dealer is always a good idea . . . when you have gold bullion lying around. I am in Houston and can find no locksmith that has this (hard to believe in this day and time that NOBODY has been able to copy this system. What mailing it to Sweden?? I think I'll give it a shot . . . $500 for a FOB is too rich for my blood. It's like asking a health question and get a "you should see a doctor answer . . ." uh huh . . . the gold bullion applies again. Anything from ANYBODY on a 2004 c70? My daughter lost all my keys and between the mailbox (community), the house, the cars/trucks, remotes, I am up to $1,200.00. Just don't have it.

SKenneyGirl 04-17-2015 06:25 PM

Program FOB/Remote

Ken, Osate, et al. I just saw these same directions on a website written by a locksmith. He said this works for most Volvos up to 2005. Mine is a 2004 C70. I think it is worth a try . . . but it is pouring right now, bad window regulator, window tapes, blah, blah, blah.

However, KEN, you said you had it programed at your dealer for $50+ . . . my dealer in Houston, with all said and done, wants almost $300. An hour for labor, and additional charges for "their software." To me, charging each time for the software is like charging each time I have to hit a new nail in building your house -- for my hammer. Can you share where this dealer is? I would be willing to mail them my remote (bought on ebay -- working, just not programed) and possibly save $1000 -- which is what just a "program" and spare key would cost here.

ANY HELP??

ES6T 04-17-2015 09:23 PM

There is no way around it. You need to have the remote programmed with software. The car needs to be there, you can't just mail the remote off.

jmarkovicj 02-23-2016 01:17 AM

reprogram Transmitter key, ALL Volvos

Cheap way around all this . . . .
Join AAA and call them to reprogram your key, just have to be colorfull with your story. I think the copay is $50. My son had it done when I took the keys away from him. I came back from a trip and couldn't start the car (none of my keys would work) and found out he had been driving it while I was gone. :mad:

SKenneyGirl 03-30-2016 09:45 AM

Cheap way around all this . . . .
Join AAA and call them to reprogram your key, just have to be colorfull with your story. I think the copay is $50. My son had it done when I took the keys away from him. I came back from a trip and couldn't start the car (none of my keys would work) and found out he had been driving it while I was gone.

I already posted something about this straight to the poster (I think) -- but is this when you call and, what(?), report the keys lost? Do you program a key -- or do they do the FOB as well? Seems like they would attempt to get out of doing both -- HOWEVER, you have to have the FOB, or be inside the car, in my Volvo, to open the trunk. Curious is they do both - can you elaborate on your story? And, I feel for you! This is because of MY daughter! lol

Pikas 04-18-2017 01:37 PM

Hello, i looking too for programmer for volvo key transponder.
I read in russian forums some information that keys can be programed (only key) but not remote. In my country people just buy used parts from crashed-dismantled car, they buy the central rear-view mirror (inside that mirror is remote control receiver module) and all remote from same car (all must be from same car - back view mirror and remotes, and must to same years and model like your car). For car keys with chip-transponder it can be duplicated, but now i search for device programmer to copy and write info from transponders. My car is 2000 70II and i don't know what transponder inside key or pcf7935 or megamos id48 crypto... And real i think older volvo and all older cars keys can be cloned, because cars don't have no connection to internet in real time ant etc. How car see or its new or old key? I say older cars - i thing they keys had inside low information like - car vin code, key id, password... But that all is static, not changes and etc... In new cars i think it can be changing like - key id 01 and password 00007 and every time when you start and stop car the key id still 01 but password changes... And if you copy that in new key and start car with new key like 01id and password 00007 and after stop engine password changes in to 00045 (in car and in key transponder) then other time you can't start car with old key, because your car requires 00045 password from key but old key had 00007 password... And then you need connect to car pc and pair new key to like 02 or 03id and they had other password sequence. But old keys i think can be copied-cloned and not need connect to car ant other magic... because car don't see and don't know or its old or its new key... But if you need to connect to car pc you need dealer or official vida dice. Because you need connection to official volvo server, then all information from your car computer (encoded) send to server then in server are decoded, then you write new key code and id or something (i don't know what required to write) but after this you pair key to your car and in end of this process all info are encoded and send to your car computer... Why i doing this? I just want learn, and in my country dealer to pair key want 300eur, to pair remote - 450~500eur. Some electricians can pair key for 80eur (then that is posible!!!) but nothing can pair remote only dealer or official vida dice (and they cost - 3 days 150-200eur~?)
Sorry for long post, and sorry for my bad english :/
P.S. - sorry i know that is bad, but just dublicated post, just for help people, and want more information, maybe someone know some programmer
equipment and solutions of this problem :/

Barre Kenttä 01-07-2019 12:34 PM

Bosch car mechanic

If you can't start your car and the alarm goes and your car is a volvo s70. Just unplugg the fuse 6. And then activate the starting relay while the ignition is on your car will start for sure. If you buy a new key fob it can only be programmed with a computer that only volvo has.

LukeHenley 04-13-2019 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by SKenneyGirl (Post 409999)
Run it to a Volvo dealer is always a good idea . . . when you have gold bullion lying around. I am in Houston and can find no locksmith that has this (hard to believe in this day and time that NOBODY has been able to copy this system. What mailing it to Sweden?? I think I'll give it a shot . . . $500 for a FOB is too rich for my blood. It's like asking a health question and get a "you should see a doctor answer . . ." uh huh . . . the gold bullion applies again. Anything from ANYBODY on a 2004 c70? My daughter lost all my keys and between the mailbox (community), the house, the cars/trucks, remotes, I am up to $1,200.00. Just don't have it.

It's sad that you haven't found locksmith at the time when you need it but now a days they are available all the time.

JacksonRoy 01-28-2020 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 410010)
There is no way around it. You need to have the remote programmed with software. The car needs to be there, you can't just mail the remote off.

Can any locksmith be able to program the remote easily?

0x00 11-12-2023 10:35 AM

Most (all?) locksmiths I have contacted refuse to touch volvo. Which, honestly car buyers should also do unless considerin a RWD volvo.