Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   Purchasing V70 98 (B5252FS) (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/purchasing-v70-98-b5252fs-98448/)

Rafis 11-25-2018 01:23 PM

Purchasing V70 98 (B5252FS)

Hi guys,
I'm about to purchase V70 98 (B5252FS) automatic transmission.
I'd like to know which modifications (if any) can I do for this engine (valves, turbocharging...).
In addition I'd like to give it more sportive look, like lowering, bigger rims, etc. What are the the bigger rims size according to autodata ? which lowering kit is recommended ?
And finally, which diagnostic tools (scanner) do you recommend?
Thanks

Georgeandkira 11-25-2018 01:52 PM

Your living the old dream of getting a V70 with a throttle cable not an ETM. God bless you.

Go to ipdusa.com and ask all your questions there. They are honest people and likely have EVERYTHING you want or need in stock.

I believe the manifolds are different with the turbocharged engines so a donor car might be the way to go for that hurdle.

I'd make the rims the last thing I'd upgrade due to the fact that as you gain familiarity with the car you'll see ads for people tiring of their old V70's and, again, a donor car might be available real inexpensively. Also, you're near IPD and their annual "Garage Sale" is the cat's meow.

Is there some deadline on this project? If not, don't rush it. Enjoy the development. You might learn that suspension bushings are badly needed before upping the HP and downing the body.

Please describe the car in more detail. Color, mileage, price paid (if you see fit). interior details, any roof accessories. What wheels does it have on it now?

You have the 4 speed transmission so good old Dex/Merc will do ya'.

Also, I have no idea if any sophisticated code reader is necessary for this vintage V70.

Best of luck and keep us informed. This is juicy.

mt6127 11-25-2018 02:12 PM

My thoughts:

1. regarding getting extra HP from the NA engines - don't waste time or money. If you want 200+ HP, buy a turbo model car. Instead invest in quality maintenance time to get your ride perfect. Avoid KN filters as they use oil which can hurt the MAF over time.

2. Suspension - Best return here is to install IPD heavy duty sway bars and end links. Next you may want to go with Bilstein shocks/struts but that's about all you need to do. If you decide to lower, there are both progressive rate and fixed rate springs (ie HR) available to drop the car (but keep in mind, curbs stay the same height...)

3. Wheels - you can go up to 17s just pay attention to rim width/tire size etc. wheel-size.com is a good resource on what sizes and tires will work.

4. Brakes - you can upgrade the size of the front rotors buy installing a brake carrier kit. Check into this at IPD - basically it uses the bracket from the newer models to allow a larger rotor for more effective fade resistance.

5. Scanners - depends what you want to do. See/clear CEL OBD2 codes? pretty much a $39 Harborfreight will do this. See real time data? most better models will. I'd also check out the ones that work with a phone or PC. See transmission codes or chassis (ie airbags) codes? Check out the iCarsoft i906.

Rafis 11-25-2018 10:46 PM

Thanks a lot guys.
Hopefully I'll get the car within few days and we'll start to learn each other.
I have a lot of interior work there either. I live in very warm country that makes a lot of damage for cars.
I'll buy it for something like 600USD, it's very cheap here, and I hope to solve all mechanics issue (I didn't impressed that there are a lot of issues) with another 1000.
There is no deadline for this project. In fact, this vehicle will be purchased in order to help with my other project (some Alfa Romeo). Each time I need at least one of them keep driving and I'll be able to work on the other one.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...5e4d1b2e7.jpeg
The body is in intact condition, need to be painted. The color is kind of dark green.

I'd like to know what are the differences between the B5252FS and B5254FS ?

Georgeandkira 11-26-2018 06:14 AM

I do not know what the B stands for
The first 5 means 5 cylinder
The following 25 means 2.5 liter (as a designation). My B5244S engine (2007 V70) is 2435cc. Volvo already used the 24 in designating their "red engine" so it's rumored they used "25" for clarity.
A subsequent international agreement required increments less the 50cc to be rounded down to the nearest tenth of a liter.
The 2FS has 2 valves per cylinder
The 4FS has 4 valves per cylinder
I also do not know what the FS means.

firebirdparts 11-26-2018 07:24 AM

Greetings Rafis! I have a 98 as well. We did not ever see the 10 valve engines in the USA, just the 20 valves. It is not easy to upgrade the engine, and you will find many threads I think comparing the Turbo 2.3 to the non-turbo engines. They did not use exactly the same wiring harness, and the harness is not easy to change, as the engine harness does not disconnect from the rest of the car somewhere convenient.. It could be done. Swapping the car to a 2.3 T5 would give a very large improvement, but not really "easy". Everybody always says just trade cars, and that's right, but of course circumstances may dictate that is not really easy either.

The handling could be changed a lot, though. I am installing IPD swaybars on mine right now. I would agree IPD is the place to go. There is not a lot of room for bigger tires. there are also some other Volvo forums where they kept performance-related articles on these older cars.

mt6127 11-26-2018 10:28 PM

FS indicates its a naturally aspirated engine "fuel injected standard". B stands for "bensin" aka its a gasoline motor. If there's a digit in the 7th position, that's the version of the engine model. For example, my son's S40 has the B4204T2 engine which is a gas, four cylinder ~2.0 liter with 4 valves per cylinder, turbo, 2nd model.

Oh and nice pic, Definitely needs new wheels (lol, those will do fine for snows in New England) and you may even want to shop at some yards to see if you can find the rear spoiler that came on some V70s for a nice add. I'd also look to upgrade the radio and speakers. It takes a double DIN but you can also look for a used radio with the big amp and 3 CD changer from a C70 or other upscale Volvo with the square radio.

Rafis 11-27-2018 03:12 AM

Thank you.A lot of information.I'll probably get it on Sunday and I'll take more pictures and then I will start to make a list of all the things that should be fixed/changed
I googled IPD swaybars, do you mean "anti rolls"?
Which is the best website to order it?

Georgeandkira 11-27-2018 01:49 PM

I think only IPD sells their stuff. Tinkering with the car and waiting for a sale might be the best bet.

Do at least one drain & fill to see what kind of shape your trannie fluid is in.

Also, mt6127 suggested the rear spoiler but I wouldn't want to drill holes in the rear gate. ........just my preference.

Best of luck. G&K

Rafis 11-27-2018 09:21 PM

Yesterday, almost by mistake, I found 945 2.3 turbo in a very good condition, almost like new. I consider change my mind and go for it.

firebirdparts 11-28-2018 09:38 AM

Interesting. you are correct, "anti-roll" is the proper term for what I meant.

Rafis 12-15-2018 07:56 AM

eventually I didn't buy this exemplars and continue with my search. I found V70 2001 2.4 (B5244S).
Georgeandkira, You mentioned the ETM as a disadvantage ?!
Any other issues that I have check about this model ?

firebirdparts 12-17-2018 06:33 AM

It's mostly the same car. The engine has variable valve timing but otherwise about the same. The advance after 1998 in the electronics made these cars more difficult to maintain in old age. The ETM is a significant cost to repair, but there are several other computer modules scattered about the car. 1998 was the last year that you could simply change computers from one car to another.